Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What else, if anything effects ejection?

cas

I have an STI Spartan in .45 ACP that I've sort of a love/hate relationship with.

When it was new it tossed the empties over my head.

It had feeding issues with the factory extractor and no amount of tweaking, tuning and polishing would fix it, so I replaced it.

My feeding issues were gone but I was surprised to see the brass still ejection straight over my head most of the time. (sometimes even over my left shoulder)

Tried different tensions and the like with no change.

I tried adjusting the face of the ejector different ways, but there was no change there either.

I then replaced the ejector with a slightly longer one and still there was no change.

Changed the face of the ejector to some suggested profile and it's still much the same.

Maybe 60% of the brass goes straight over my head, or even slightly left of it. The rest goes slightly right.

The gun is completely usable like this, and I have for a long time, but it still has me scratching my head.

So I was wondering if there's any thing else it could be? (Whacky breach face? It "looks" normal.)

Did you replace it with a .45 ejector? I run a slightly extended one, compared to stock GI. Looking down into the magwell area from top, the left side is furthest forward. Looking from right side of the frame, the top is the furthest forward. What extractor (brand)? Did you tune it? Work the tip, not just adjust tension?

My brass curls around and hits the slide before flying to my 4 Oclock. I get small brass marks on the slide to confirm this.

On yours, is the brass hitting the ejection port thus deflecting it up instead of out? The M&P I had borrowed was doing this and that caused the brass to exit nearly straight up. I changed the impact location (where the ejector his the base of the case) to remedy that.

The gun is completely usable like this, and I have for a long time, but it still has me scratching my head.

Why is this an issue? If the gun is running fine, who cares where the brass lands :-)

Why is this an issue? If the gun is running fine, who cares where the brass lands :-)

Hot brass down the back of the shirt is not fun, got the scar too. On the other hand, it does keep the TO on his toes :devil:

One of the places I shoot has a low overhead, the brass comes right down on top of me.

The new extractor is a Wilson..... can't recall whom I got the ejector from.

As far as brass "hitting", for a while there were always brass tracks on the top of the slide, just behind the port. Almost like the brass rolls up and out and hits the slide. (which I guess it was). I don't recall if it's still doing that or not.

(there's one shot on here that looks like two cases come out of the gun. I've been trying to figure out that optical illusion for a couple weeks now.) :roflol:

Edited by cas

Can you take a picture of your gun with the slide removed, from the top, looking down the magazine well? Maybe one from the side as well, I'm curious what your ejector looks like. My guess at this point is your ejector is too short, and the brass catches on the rear of the frame, flipping it up instead of right.

Also, watch that booger finger on the bang lever when bringing the gun up for reloads :-)

Chamber a round, drop the mag out, then fire it. Does it still eject the same without the mag?

Tested this tonight, didn't seem to make any difference.

Also, watch that booger finger on the bang lever when bringing the gun up for reloads :-)

There weren't any reloads on camera. Just dropping one mag high for "show". (and it wasn't on the trigger then either)

stronger springs will toss the brass forward and tothe right(typically) lighter/weaker spring will bring the brass back usually from straight 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock maybe try droppin the recoil spring weight and see wherethey go??? adjustthe extractor tension?? maybe the fired round is slipping off the extractor before it hits the ejector????

take the slide, minus the barrel etc...slide a loaded round under the extractor and slowly spin it if it moves and or falls off, typically you need a bit more tension on the extractor, or you can getthe cool weigand extractor tension guage...

How is your grip \stance? Try tightening up your weak hand grip some. I had a glock do this when I didn't grip it tight enough(cases hit me in the face),when I tightend my grip the cases would eject to the right.

I played with extractor tension with both old and new, didn't seem to change anything.

It's not grip related because it does it no matter who's shooting it. I've had a half dozen or more people shoot it so I could watch the empties.

As I said it's more of a puzzle than a problem, it works just fine as is now.

Springs are cheap enough, next time I order some parts I'll get a little heavier one and see what she does.

Edited by cas

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I tried an 18lb spring today, no change.

Interestingly I like the way the gun feels a bit better with the 18lb spring over the 16. But when I started playing a bit with both of them, it looks like my pairs and doubles are tighter with the lighter one. Oh well.

What Benny said.

If the hook has been radiused (is that a word?) it is probably toast and depending on how the ejector has been cut it may need to be replaced too.

That ejection pattern is classic G.I., up and out!

With some tuning/unmolested parts it can be set up to eject to the side.