Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA Witness Team Gold - 9mm feeding probs solved?

beetle

Hi There.

just curious if the new mec-gar magazines solve the dreaded feeding problems with the large frame EAA Witness Team Gold in 9mm. I've been on the fence for this pistol, but if the feeding probs are resolved I'll probably pick one up.

Anyone try out the new large frame 9mm mec-gar magazines yet?

thanks!

I know 9mm mags have been discussed to death, but I'd really appreciate it if the knowledeable folks here could help me understand (either by replying or sending a PM). I'm unable to find the answer through search or by looking at some of Nealio's posts. This probably is due to my lack of knowledge on the tanfoglio platform.

From what I can tell, 9mm feeding issues have been resolved for small frame pistols using magazines made by mec-gar.

My question is: is the Witness Gold Team a large frame pistol? if yes, does mec-gar make magazines for the large frame? If yes, do these new magazines solve the feeding issues?

Apologies for being such a noob, but I would appreciate it very much if somebody could help me with the above questions. Thank you.

The witness gold team used in the advertising and run by winning IPSC shooters are small frame guns we cant get in the US. I have no idea why, I guess Tanfoglio just doesnt care, You would think the US would be the largest market for civilian guns in the world and the market you'd want to penetrate. Making guns that dont work sure isnt gonna win you many fans.

thank you for the clear concise answers. its disappointing that EAA/Tanfoglio can't solve what seems to be a fairly simple problem ("tablestakes" if you are in the gun business).

you guys saved me from being disappointed/mad in buying a $1400+ gun that has known issues. :cheers:

Getting 1.13 ammo to run in frames designed for 1.25 ammo evidently isnt that simple. The 1911 has been around 100 years and it still doesnt work without a lot of hand tinkering and magazine modding,

What is simple especially in Tanfoglios case would be to use the large frames for 38 10mm and 45, and the small frame guns which they have always manufactured for 9 and 40, Cant be that hard to import two different frame sizes.

thank you for the clear concise answers. its disappointing that EAA/Tanfoglio can't solve what seems to be a fairly simple problem ("tablestakes" if you are in the gun business).

you guys saved me from being disappointed/mad in buying a $1400+ gun that has known issues. :cheers:

I dont have a gold team but I do have the Limited in 9mm and all you gotta do is tune your mags and load a little long and it will work fine.. going on three years of shooting mine in competition without any feed issues at all....I tuned my mags and have had to replace the factory mag springs because they finally got weak and started causing a few hiccups here and there... so Other that some routine maintenance Mine has run flawless for many thousands of roundsrolleyes.gif. everyone says that the 9mm wont feed or run reliably but you cant convince me.cool.gif

Hi There.

just curious if the new mec-gar magazines solve the dreaded feeding problems with the large frame EAA Witness Team Gold in 9mm. I've been on the fence for this pistol, but if the feeding probs are resolved I'll probably pick one up.

Anyone try out the new large frame 9mm mec-gar magazines yet?

thanks!

My apologies for not replying more thoroughly earlier, but I was busy at work.

I don't know what Jthompson is talking about, saying the feeding problems aren't solved. Maybe he could elaborate...?

Here is the bottom line:

----------------------------

New mags sold by EAA are made by MecGar and run flawlessly. I run 3 of them with Henning H-141 basepads on them with stock springs and followers. They feed perfect. They are cheap too. Only $25/ea.

However....

1. You can't run more than 21 rounds (20 reloadable) in them unless you make a spacer for the base pad that matches the thickness of the spacer in the back of the mag. I haven't gotten around to doing this yet with my mags, so I can't tell you how well it works or not.

2. These new MecGar mags don't come in a 170mm version, but someone could take 2 of these new MecGar mags and make you a long one. They are so cheap it would probably wouldn't cost you much more than what a 170mm STI mag costs...

Another option is using Tanfoglio small frame mags since everyone seems to think they are the answer. You just need to make a spacer that is the size of a large frame mag and tape it to the back with some double sided foam tape (the thickness of the tape + spacer + small frame mag needs to equal that of a large frame mag). I attached an image of the magazine I have like this. I've been running it for a year and it is my primary magazine since I can get 21 reloadable rounds in it. I just used some cheap 3m foam tape with the "Scotch" pattern on it that I found in my wife's junk bin. It hasn't budged in almost a year and 5K rounds. I thought for sure I'd have to re-tape it by now.

post-23941-062182700 1305599433_thumb.jp

Hope that helps..

- Nealio

Edited by Nealio

Elaborate...

Nose dives. Having to load long and not being reliable.

I can get it to run 99% of the time, but still have the occasional nosedive.

Perhaps you should go into the tuning business because there are a whole lot of folks out there with the same issues.

JT

Elaborate...

Nose dives. Having to load long and not being reliable.

I can get it to run 99% of the time, but still have the occasional nosedive.

Perhaps you should go into the tuning business because there are a whole lot of folks out there with the same issues.

JT

Hi JT

are you having the nose dives with the new mec-gar magazines as well?

thanks for your help!

:surprise:

Id sure like to give this somemore work I had a customer's gold team for a while and thought I had the 9mm open type 170 mag figured out

he/she still has some problems now and then.

I have a bunch of Caspian older style mags using 9mm and they work just fine.

I need to save my coins so I can pick up a witness large frame pistol in 9mm so I can work on this problem.

Jim/Pa

Sailors

It works but there are other factors to consider to make it work 100%

My gun works everytime but I had to spend more mulah to get there. I agree that

Eaa should get this resolved without buyers having to spend more money to make

them work 100%. If you want to make it work now, sad to say that you will have

to spend more. This means modifying the gun that voids the warranty, tuned mags

tuning the gun, knowing your loads that works.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

hey guys... There are a few tips to tuning your mags that might help you. Always load at least 4 or 5 rounds in your mag when you are tuning them. DO NOT load only one round! It will almost always fail. The rounds should sit very close to the same angle as the top of the mag...some more , some less...every mag is different. Another thing you can do is use the back of an ink pen or something similar to test your mags instead of your gun....Just put it against the top edge of the top round and slowly push it out of the mag....if you can get them to push off out of the gun without nosediving then it will almost always work in the gun. I will say that almost all of the feed issues that people have with these guns are mag related.....spend some time tuning your mags and you wont be dissapointed.... My Brother bought a Limited in 38 super and has had nothing but trouble with it ...It wouldnt feed at all! he had to wiggle and bump and rack the slide on almost every round.....He tried everything....every mag/follower combo he could find.. sent it off to 3 different gunsmiths and switched to supercomp brass... all to little or no avail... Finally out of desperation he gave it to me at the last match and told me to try. It would nosedive one time and then the next round would just not go into the barrel or get stuck against the top of the chamber ....it was awful. so I tuned the mags....All of which had been tuned by the gunsmiths... I tuned the mags and took it back to him....He loaded 3 mags and fired them as fast as he could and with double taps and everything he could think of and it ran flawlessly... He turned around and asked what i did to it....I told him and he didnt believe me lol..... Soooo...Tune your mags people!!!! biggrin.gif

Also....I dont know about everyone elses guns but mine love longer loads... which i found out by accident. my bullet seat dye got loose and I loaded several round at 1.169 which is the max suggested length... and even a few a little longer....rather than pull them i just decided to try them out. They were very accurate and fed out of the mags like magic surprise.gif I have been running about 1.165 every since.

if you have any questions feel free to ask... ill try to answer them.