Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Montana Gold 115 fmj

steel3924

I have looked all through this forum, and I have seen a lot of formulas. But I need a specific suggestion

on how to load 115 fmj major.

Gun: Glock 34 kkm barrel, jaeger compensator

bullet: montana gold 115 fmj

Primer: Remington sp primer, or federal match sp primer

Powder: per suggestion

I am new to the game and when I started I bought a case of these bullets, and would like to shoot them up.

Thanks for the help guys,

Suggest you trade the fmj's for jhp's - they won't lead up

your comp.

Start with 7 gr HS6 or Winchester Auto Comp

and work up slowly with a chrono for any

115 gr jacketed bullet - start with your OAL

as long as you can fit in your gun/mag (1.14"?)

I load mine to 1.165 in my STI, but the Glocks

are shorter, I understand.

Good luck,

Jack

Suggest you trade the fmj's for jhp's - they won't lead up

your comp.

Start with 7 gr HS6 or Winchester Auto Comp

and work up slowly with a chrono for any

115 gr jacketed bullet - start with your OAL

as long as you can fit in your gun/mag (1.14"?)

I load mine to 1.165 in my STI, but the Glocks

are shorter, I understand.

Good luck,

Jack

8.6 gr of HS6 with a MG 115 FMJ makes major in my M&P with Carver comp.

Zero, what's your OAL?

Jack

I think I've read here that Glocks can't load that long - more like

1.145"??? I wouldn't load 8.6 gr HS6 at 1.145" - not sure there's

enough space on the powder without working that up very slowly.

I'd start down around 7.0 gr and work up Very Slowly at 1.145".

Good luck.

Jack

I am doing some load development right now with my glock. My barrel maker said to use 1.145" but I tried a few at 1.160" and they fit the chamber and mags fine it seems.

If you can use 1.16" - I'd use it - but I'd try a few with lighter loads

first to see if there's any problem with it.

If you're stuck with 1.145" OAL, I'd try 124 grain bullets and 7.0 gr

of either HS6 or Winchester Auto Comp. Start at 7 grains and work your

way up from there. You'll have more room in your case if you use the

124 grain bullets.

Good luck,

Jack

I only shoot CMJ's in my 9 major guns S_I. My head space is a bit short in 2 of my major 9's so I load them all to the same length 1.165. In a JHP I can only load out ot 1.45.

First it is good advice to start low and work up. With HS6 and 115gr FMJ OAL 1.165 I didn't hit 170pf ( I call that major) until @8.8-9.0gr. Using CCI SPP. If you use rifle or magnum primers it will come with less powder. I don't have the book in front of me, but I'm confident this is way off the charts, so you are in dangerous waters, use cautiion.

That's the good part the bad part is that the 115's are not nearly as accurate at 25 and 50 yards as the 124gr RN. I tested this from a bench rest with 3 guns none of them shot the 115's well. (your particular gun may perform differently).

The bottom line on the perceived recoil or how does it feel, the difference in the 115 and the 124 was almost non distinguishable, it was very hard to tell the difference. The 124gr CMJ is just as accurate as the 124gr JHP no difference in group size at 50 yd. (disclaimer in the 3 guns used in the test, your results may differ).

Use good brass once, and check to make sure its brass with a magnet.

I bought a head space reamer from Manson and reamed my Schuemann barrel to take a little longer load. They cost about $40, but it won't make the mag any longer!

Edited by CocoBolo

That's what I like about this forum. The willingness of other shooters to share their information.

Thanks for all the help guys, I will use your information and as stated will work up the loads very carefully.

Good shooting out there and be safe. If you guys ever get down to Frostproof Florida and see a Super Senior

6'-4 and 325 lbs. stop by and say hey, it's me.

I am doing some load development right now with my glock. My barrel maker said to use 1.145" but I tried a few at 1.160" and they fit the chamber and mags fine it seems.

Loads past 1.15" will fit the chamber and the first 1/3 of the mag. As soon as you start loading more rounds in the mag, they start laying flatter and you will start to bind. Trust me, this is the voice of experience speaking.... :wacko:

Loads past 1.15" will fit the chamber and the first 1/3 of the mag. As soon as you start loading more rounds in the mag, they start laying flatter and you will start to bind. Trust me, this is the voice of experience speaking.... :wacko:

Listen to this voice of experience. I load my Glock 9 major rounds at 1.145" with a 125 Zero JHP after learning the hard way that longer is not necessarily better with Glocks. :surprise:

Is the binding problem caused by the mag extension or the actual mag itself? I tried a few of the long ones in a bare mag body and even when totally flat they seemed to be fine. However, looking at the mag extension (taylor freelance) it looks like the inside rear face is not coincident with inside rear of the mag so that could cause the problem you’re referring to.