Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C More

bthunter019

Ok Don;t want to sound stupid here. Use to shoot open back in the 90's. I can't remember things from that far back. I have a hard enough time remembering what I ate yesterday. The question I have is this, what distance do most sight in there C more sight for? My thought is this. If I sight in for say 10-15 yards I will have to aim lower at say 25-30 or out to 50 yards. If I sight in for say 25-50 yards I will have to always remember to shoot higher on the closer shots? Am I correct on this? Also want to know what others are doing for this situation. Thanks all

Hello: I sight mine in at 25 yards but I know where it hits at 5,10 and 50 yards. I am using a Quinn II mount so the close range stuff is a little easier since there is little hold over. Just make sure you know where your gun hits at different distances. Thanks, Eric

Mine is zeroed at 25 and I practice at farther distances. Dealing with close stuff is easy, hitting a 25+ yard plate while trying to remember if I need to hold low or high is harder. I don't want to think about it on the tougher shots. If you zero is at the longest distance you think you'll shoot all the other shots will be low so you only need to compensate in one direction.

• 2 years later...

Mine is zeroed at 25 and I practice at farther distances. Dealing with close stuff is easy, hitting a 25+ yard plate while trying to remember if I need to hold low or high is harder. I don't want to think about it on the tougher shots. If you zero is at the longest distance you think you'll shoot all the other shots will be low so you only need to compensate in one direction.

I think I'll go with the Grand Master's advice.

Mine is zeroed at 15 yds, but I think it really depends on your mount. Mine is a Cheely 90 degree mount, so sighting at 15 yds is a good "middle ground" since most IPSC shots aren't going to be much beyond 35 yds. If you have a vertical mount, you may want to zero it differently, since the centerline of of dot and the bore are further apart, which means you have more offset to deal with that will affect your point of impact.

Edited by Parallax3D

There are a number of threads on this topic in the archives.

My own take on it is that you should first get your horizontal zero at 50 yards so that it is as precise as possible. Then set your vertical zero for 7 yard headshots. These are the shots where your zero really matters, you will only be an inch or so high at 25 yards, and it is unlikely that your POI will matter at all beyond that distance.

There are a number of threads on this topic in the archives.

My own take on it is that you should first get your horizontal zero at 50 yards so that it is as precise as possible. Then set your vertical zero for 7 yard headshots. These are the shots where your zero really matters, you will only be an inch or so high at 25 yards, and it is unlikely that your POI will matter at all beyond that distance.

This is good advice.

i zeroed both my open guns at 25 yds... it will shoot 3" low on close shots..

How high is the dot above the bore on your gun? Mine is 2-1/4" and the lowest it shoots from POA is 2-1/4" at the muzzle. By the time I'm at 10 yds the difference is less than 1".

5 yds -1.86"

10 yds -0.86"

15 yds -0.24"

17 yds zero

20 yds +0.34"

30 yds +1.31"

40 yds +2.07"

Edited by Flatland Shooter