Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm/40 conversion

KT57

Can a 10mm conversion be done to a 686 6 shot? I am assuming it could but may be wrong. I see that it is possible on a Ruger GP 100.

I would say a 40 convert is possible, but 10 may be too hot for the thin cylinder walls. The 646 was a .40 built on the L frame.

I converted a 686 to a 646. I shot a couple of boxes of factory loads to proof the cylinder, no problems. Mostly I'm shooting about 130 PF 180 gr. bullets though. It's working fine.

I think this was hashed about a few years ago, I've always wanted to do this also (no $$$) but would opt for an old style carbon steel cylinder.

I also wonder how thick the barrel would be at the FC, any 646 folks feel like measuring/comparing their barrel diameters at the frame ??

Good luck if you continue with your project, I shot pins in PA with a gent who had Randy Hollowbush make a 10mm Pin Revolver out of a 586,

used a TC Contender as the barrel blank and he had to make the moonclips as the 646 was a long ways off.

The 686 barrel is .078 wall thickness at the very back of the barrel, the 646 is .058. They are both about .518 diam. My project is finished and being used.

Edited by Toolguy

The 686 barrel is .078 wall thickness at the very back of the barrel, the 646 is .058. They are both about .518 diam. My project is finished and being used.

Good info to know, sounds like S&W kept the barrel threads the same for both.

Have any pic's to post ? Did you re-bore the 686 barrel or use an after market ?

Yes - They are both L frames so the barrels will interchange. I got a 4" Performance Center barrel from someone who had taken it off their 646 to put on a longer custom barrel. It looks just like any Performance Center 646 so there's not anything new or different to see.