Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Look friend, there is only one light weight boot if that is what you're truly after. Its Nikes military boots. I've wore Oakleys for awhile now but Nikes are truely light weight. You may have to have someone help you get them though. Asolos are great but if you want ankle support the boot has to go well beyond your ankle. I've been a ground pounded for most of my adult life. Ive even done some testing of boots for a few companies. Let me know if you have any questions.

But why do none of these type of boot come in wider width? I wear an American made Danner and like them very much in spite of the very high cost. They actually fit me.

I have worn Converse Chuck Taylors when I was active duty. If they got wet, they dried quickly, had enough ankle support, fit in my fins, and was good in rough terrain as well as comfortable. Great shoes for a great price. The only problem is they tend to stink. They come in various colors as well as all black.

• 1 month later...

Best boot by far and you can usually find them for about $100. Want to see something fall apart in a year even though you just wear them at matches? Just buy Oakely.

For warm dry climates, its hard to beat the Lowa Desert Zepher. Tennis shoe (GOOD tennis shoe)comfort and agility, with good multi terrain traction, combined with better than decent ankle support. They aren't meant to be used as heavy load hikers over very very rough ground, so you get a boot you can actually run in. Lowa also offer a Desert Zepher with Gore-Tex if you need the water resistance and can stand the extra heat.

I've been wearing my Oakley Sabot High and 5.11 HRT for a few years now. They are really comfortable and held up very well from hiking, military use and shooting matches. My favorite things to wear just for comfort (not really for ankle support) is Blackhawks Tanto Light Hiker and 5.11 Tactical Trainer shoes. Awsome in comfort, much like running shoes but added traction. I use them primarily at local macthes or matches that dont require to much navigation over rougher terrain.

Edited by KTKlaus

• 4 weeks later...

Converse velocity weighs the same as the Nike. I ordered a pair as I have had great luck with my converse in the past.

Recieved my Converse velocities a couple weeks ago and wanted to update that they so far are a great boot. Lighter than the bates ultralights I wear daily to work. Seem very well made and good looking. More comfortable by far than my welco's or bates. I think my other boots are going to gather dust for a while.

Strange that others report the Oakleys don't last. My pair of Oakley Cartridge hiking boots has been absolutely awesome. I've worn them to many, many matches and even most days of the week as an all-day shoe.

I've even run them through the washer and dryer several times, and they're holding up great. In fact, they look 95% new, with only a little wear on the heel (all my shoes wear on the heels first). I have worn through the thin nylon mesh lining on the inside of one heel--another wear point in all my shoes.

It's too bad the Cartridge are discontinued, although you can occasionally find NOS ones on ebay. They are made of waterproof, breathable e-Vent material and work great in rain and mud. My only complaint is that they are a summer boot without any thermal lining, so your feet will get cold in the snow, unless you have two layers of thermal socks.

I'd happily buy the new Oakley LSA (Land Sea Air) Terrain boots when I finally wear the heel's tread pattern down too much.

Edited by dchang0

I'm a huge fan of Merrel boots. Buddy of mine wore them in 'Stan on his deployment last year, said they held up better than the standard issue boots, and they were extremely comfortable in the Mountains. He's a 19D(scout) so I trust his judgement.

I picked up a pair of their Sawtooths, they are pricy but so far worth it.

Hands down best boots I've ever bought are Kentreks. Kinda pricey but they last forever and are super comfortable.

http://www.kenetrek.com/

I have a pair of their insulated hunting boots. I thought they were maybe too stiff and heavy until I wore them. Extremely comfortable and supportive. Well worth the money spent as they are the best hunting boots I have ever worn. No experience with the other models they sell but I would bet the quality is still there.

Craig