Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA WEB SERVER DOWN

Does your membership expiration date only change once a month with the classification updates or should it change live?

I renewed last month, but my classification lookup says I'm expired as of 4/29/11. Just wondering if this is normal or a problem.

Thanks

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

waktasz, I'm in the same situation; not expired yet, but not showing new date. I did receive a new card in the mail that shows the correct date. I've been waiting until after the classification update. So, it's not just you. :-)

I have a new card also, it arrived yesterday, but I also got an email today from the MD of the match I shot Saturday saying I signed up as a member but was expired. I'm not too worried about it since I have the card in my hand but with everyone relying on the electronic membership info it could cause a problem (unless this is normal). Thanks for the update.

I keep getting a "Default Web Page" when trying to connect to www.uspsa.org and a timeout when trying to connect to www.uspsa.com. I tried flushing the dns cache, but that didn't seem to help. I could expect an upstream cache causing problems but it seems to attach to the org site, I just don't get served the home screen.

I keep getting a "Default Web Page" when trying to connect to www.uspsa.org and a timeout when trying to connect to www.uspsa.com. I tried flushing the dns cache, but that didn't seem to help. I could expect an upstream cache causing problems but it seems to attach to the org site, I just don't get served the home screen.

+1 If I go to the IP address that Rob mentions in post #49 the website displays, but then clicking on any other link I get a 404.

404 Not Found

The server can not find the requested page:

www.uspsa.org/about-uspsa.php (port 80)

Please forward this error screen to www.uspsa.org's WebMaster.

Apache/2.2.17 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_bwlimited/1.4 Server at www.uspsa.org Port 80

DNS is not resolving the URL's yet. When you click on a link from the IP page, the underlying URL is still uspsa.org. Until USPSA.org resolves through DNS, you will get an 404 not found error.

Patience ;) ...I'm sure Rob is working the issue.

DNS is not resolving the URL's yet. When you click on a link from the IP page, the underlying URL is still uspsa.org. Until USPSA.org resolves through DNS, you will get an 404 not found error.

I have patience, just trying to give Rob as much information as possible. :cheers:

I've attempted to clear my DNS cache w/ no success. I'm running Vista... any other suggestions?

I need to upload the classifier report again as our transaction didn't survive.

1. First, confirm your system still resolves to the old address:

nslookup uspsa.org

If you see 209.62.63.82 you're resolving to the old address; if you see 209.62.63.83 you're resolving to the new address

2. Open a command window (assuming you are on a windows machine)

3. cd %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc

4. "notepad hosts" to edit the "hosts" file. Add these lines:

209.62.63.83 uspsa.org

209.62.63.83 www.uspsa.org

You have now set your system up to manually translate the USPSA web address to that of the new server.

Since this address will change in the future when we move to a new server (part of a reliability/recovery improvement plan scheduled for next winter), you should remove it in a week or so, otherwise you will forget about it and won't be able to find USPSA.ORG the next time the address changes.

DNS propogation always takes a bit time, and not everyone sees the update at the same time due to the cached nature of the data.

Also, I have a self-signed certificate temporarily installed, so please ignore the warnings about the certificate - I will have a properly signed one up shortly.

I have learned a number of things during this restore process (which was rebuilding the entire server from scratch using backups) and will be making some improvements that should help if we have another total outage.

Rolling back a day on the data sucks, but it could have sucked a whole lot more :).

Sorry adively...didn't mean to step on your entry. :surprise:

DNS is now resolving and the SSL is working...I just renewed my membership without error.

Way to go Rob! :cheers:

No problem at all Mark. :cheers:

I've attempted to clear my DNS cache w/ no success. I'm running Vista... any other suggestions?

I need to upload the classifier report again as our transaction didn't survive.

1. First, confirm your system still resolves to the old address:

nslookup uspsa.org

If you see 209.62.63.82 you're resolving to the old address; if you see 209.62.63.83 you're resolving to the new address

2. Open a command window (assuming you are on a windows machine)

3. cd %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc

4. "notepad hosts" to edit the "hosts" file. Add these lines:

209.62.63.83 uspsa.org

209.62.63.83 www.uspsa.org

You have now set your system up to manually translate the USPSA web address to that of the new server.

Since this address will change in the future when we move to a new server (part of a reliability/recovery improvement plan scheduled for next winter), you should remove it in a week or so, otherwise you will forget about it and won't be able to find USPSA.ORG the next time the address changes.

DNS propogation always takes a bit time, and not everyone sees the update at the same time due to the cached nature of the data.

Also, I have a self-signed certificate temporarily installed, so please ignore the warnings about the certificate - I will have a properly signed one up shortly.

I have learned a number of things during this restore process (which was rebuilding the entire server from scratch using backups) and will be making some improvements that should help if we have another total outage.

Rolling back a day on the data sucks, but it could have sucked a whole lot more :).

Not really sure what happened to my original post, seems I'm quoting myself?

Is this something that will resolve in time? Or must a cache flush actually occur?

Rob - I don't know how long the site was running with a failed RAID 5 set but I've had RAID arrays fail during recovery. Rebuilding a raid array is a really taxing operation since you are basically reading every bit from every disk in the raid set.

This happened to me a couple of years ago. A drive failed during a full backup (another heavy I/O operation) and it started to recover to a hot spare when the a second drive died and the whole thing went to hell including the backup job. Luckily a couple of months prior I purchased another RAID array an put it a server room on the other side of the building. The primary array would rsync nightly to the secondary. Since this all happened over a weekend the data on the secondary array was current and we didn't lose a bit.

I'd be suspect of the data center. Most of the time when I've seen multiple disk problems it's because the disks are 5+ years old (as in the array I mentioned above) or because of inadequate cooling. If the data center can't figure out your emergency contact info I'd guess they are probably lacking in other areas.

See if you can install 'sensors' on server to monitor the server's ambient air temp. Also Nagios is pretty easy to setup and could alert you to hardware and other issues.

I'd be suspect of the data center. Most of the time when I've seen multiple disk problems it's because the disks are 5+ years old (as in the array I mentioned above) or because of inadequate cooling. If the data center can't figure out your emergency contact info I'd guess they are probably lacking in other areas.

Funny thing.... the master plan was to rotate to a new server over the 2011/2012 winter. We don't want to get so many revs out of date on server software, and an update can take a long time, so we move to a new system every few years. My guess is the two failures in rapid succession were due to drive age. Anyhow, I've learned about a few deficiencies in our disaster recovery procedures (mainly missing FTP passwords and mail forwarders in the backups), and have made some improvements.

In fact, the RAID array was so old the ISP told us "we don't even use those old ones any more; can we give you a newer model with bigger drives at the same price?".

Is this something that will resolve in time? Or must a cache flush actually occur?

It should. If your DNS is slow to catch up, try using the Godaddy DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. These seem to update pretty quickly.

----

Trust me - for a low budget operation done with consultants, volunteers and non-dedicated staff, this could have been a whole lot worse :devil:

Bummer! They'll get it fixed. These things happen, but it's REALLY rare that a second drive on the same server went out shortly after. That's like 1 in a million. LITERALLY.

Maybe not in Uruguay.

The server is in Texas (Dallas or Houston; not sure which). The server farm provides support, but USPSA also subscribes to www.totalserversolutions.com, also known as "The Uruguayians". The folks at TSS are absolutely exceptional and well worth what USPSA pays to keep them "on call" (well under $100/month).

+1 to TSS - they are awesome. I have a monthly support contract with them for my server - and they've quickly bailed me (us) out many times.

Although I'm sure it was a massive PITA, nice work on the restore Rob.

be