Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new M&P 40 Pro 5"

rack&roll

Just purchased this gun, haven't even fired it yet. During dryfiring I couldn't help but notice an incredibly gritty take up when pulling the trigger. I mean the it's just horrendous! Like its scraping on something. Will this go away, or get better through use? Thanks for any feedback.

I have a 9mm & .40S&W. Dry fire the hell out of it an it will get alot smoother. If then not satisfactory I would go to an Apex kit or have Dan Burwell do his magic on it.

If you like a strong reset, Apex sear and plunger kit is all you need. If you want a lighter pull, add the trigger and sear springs. I don't change the striker spring. If you want to feel the reset you'll need to have it worked or add the RAM. If the sear won't relese the striker once installed, lift the trigger bar loop a little until it does. I've had to work over several kits just to get them to function, others have dropped in for a sub 4# pull. With some work 2-2.5# is possible.

I was hoping to at least TRY shooting the gun awhile before ordering the Apex kit. I also have a box-stock M&P 9L with a great, smooth trigger, and no gritty, scrapey take-up. I will eventually get the Apex kit or have Dan Burwell work on it. I have an unanswered email to Dan, and I'm still waiting for a reply. BTW, I really like the Pro's sights! They are much better than the 9L's 3 dot set, and I'm surprised so many people change them right out of the gate.

Does anybody have a home-brew solution to the gritty take-up with out a kit or gunsmith? Thanks!

I was hoping to at least TRY shooting the gun awhile before ordering the Apex kit. I also have a box-stock M&P 9L with a great, smooth trigger, and no gritty, scrapey take-up. I will eventually get the Apex kit or have Dan Burwell work on it. I have an unanswered email to Dan, and I'm still waiting for a reply. BTW, I really like the Pro's sights! They are much better than the 9L's 3 dot set, and I'm surprised so many people change them right out of the gate.

Does anybody have a home-brew solution to the gritty take-up with out a kit or gunsmith? Thanks!

I've sent Burwell an email a week for the last month or so and no response. No response from Accurate Iron or Bowie either. I guess they don't want my money.

From my experience, most M&P's have a gritty trigger pull.

I called S&W and they paid for me to sent it back. About 10 days later, I got it back and the trigger pull was great. Not only that, but they sent me a new mag also! Great customer service!

I have put in the Apex sear and just got the extractor and USB. Apex is great also!

I will never have a single action trigger, but I'll get as close as I can.

Love my M&P9 Pro.

My wife just picked up a 9 Pro. I must say that I really like it, alot, and I am a diehard Glock fanatic!

Having said that, my wife's M&P Pro had a really gritty pretravel/take-up to the trigger. So, I stoned smooth the top of the trigger bar that contacts the firing pin block in the slide. This removed the grittiness, but the steps in the pretravel pull are still there. To eliminate this, I will remove the firing pin block and smooth out/radius the transitions on the firing pin block.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for all the help. I realize now that my specific complaint of grittyness in the pre-travel is more than likely the engagement of the trigger bar and the FPB. I can polish & radius them myself.

I polished the trigger-bar firing pin block engagement and voila!, smooth as a... well, you know. Also installed a SSS black alum magwell, TF blk alum base pads, Dawson adjustable sights, and a KKM match barrel. Nice little Limited gun. The mags now hold 20rds reloadable. (somewhat) It will get easier. Funny, after I installed all this stuff, my slide doesn't lock open when I rack the slide all the way back with an empty mag in the gun. Is this normal? Thanks!

I polished the trigger-bar firing pin block engagement and voila!, smooth as a... well, you know. Also installed a SSS black alum magwell, TF blk alum base pads, Dawson adjustable sights, and a KKM match barrel. Nice little Limited gun. The mags now hold 20rds reloadable. (somewhat) It will get easier. Funny, after I installed all this stuff, my slide doesn't lock open when I rack the slide all the way back with an empty mag in the gun. Is this normal? Thanks!

The slide won't lock back without extra power springs. If you used factory magazine springs then that is the issue. These guns make great Limited setups.

Search "trigger" in this section and you'll get all the reading you could ever want....9 and .40 Pro triggers and mods are identical. What you're feeling is the firing pin block, remove that, round the edges or replace it with an Apex, and most of the grit will be gone (also replace the FPB spring with the Apex part to prevent the stacking feeling).

Search "trigger" in this section and you'll get all the reading you could ever want....9 and .40 Pro triggers and mods are identical. What you're feeling is the firing pin block, remove that, round the edges or replace it with an Apex, and most of the grit will be gone (also replace the FPB spring with the Apex part to prevent the stacking feeling).

As I said, problem with gritty trigger is solved. Problem with the mags not locking the slide back on last round explained by strangedays, and understood. Thanks anyway, G-man.

I've sent Burwell an email a week for the last month or so and no response. No response from Accurate Iron or Bowie either. I guess they don't want my money.

You will have better luck contacting dan on here.

BTW. I shoot reloads 147gn and never have a problem with the slide not locking back. Running with stock springs.