Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Selling on craigslist

Dan Hefta

I hate all of the bogis emails I keep getting from jerkoffs that say they are "interested" in my boat for sale! I get the "I am out of the country serving in the Marines and want the boat for my Dad, just give me your bank account info and I will wire the money to you. :angry2: Do people really fall for that crap??? :wacko: I want to crawl through the computer and stangle these con artists! :angry2::angry2: It makes me not trust anyone that is interested... oh and while I am bitching... I hate the jerkoffs that say they are coming over ot look at the boat and never show up!! RUDE!! Rant over...goos frabah... B)

The problem is that people fall for it everyday. I took a call last year from a gentleman reporting that he wired the funds over to a supposed military soldier who was deployed and the camper was going to be delivered to him by a relative. Obviously it never showed. You want to feel bad but the guy wired $15k to someone in Nigeria that he only conversed with via email. some days there just isn't a lifeguard working at the gene pool!

The emails that simply say, "do you still have it" are scammers fishing for you to email them.

I hardly ever use Craig's List but, the few times that I have, I just make a "dedicated" gmail or hotmail email account for that item. When the item is gone, so is the email address.

• 1 month later...

I'm done with craigslist from having the people not show when you want to buy or sell something. What a joke.

Not to mention people that dont delete their old ads. So I am guilty of sending emails - "Do you still have it?"

Craigslist can be a huge PITA.. What I do is like Cy Soto says but I take it a step futher. I have a Craigslist/Junk email account that I use to sign up for most other forums. I also have a Google Voice phone number, that too costs nothing and I feel better giving that out to complete strangers than I do my home phone and cell number. Plus Google Voice will allow you to block numbers by sending them to a fax tone or a default "the number you have reached".. Pretty neat if you ask me.

I sold a motorcycle on CL last year. I had a guy who called with an out of state phone number who wanted me to take a personal check for the bike. He said we could go to the ATM and he would show me that he had enough money in the bank account to cover the check. He even offered me more than the asking price (which only made me more convinced he was trying to rip me off.) He acted very offended that I wouldn't take his personal check. I have to believe enough people fall for this, or these guys would be trying other ways to rip people off.

Sign up for an account then you can manage your ads and delete them more easily. Costs nothing.

Unfortunately due to browser caching, even if you delete the ad the spammers can still find it.

I deleted my trailer ad 3 days after I listed it. That was a year ago and just last week I got another spam email from it.

I buy and sell often, on Craig's List, with good success. Having said that, it took time to aquire the savy to do it.

1) a responder must supply me with a phone number. No number . . . DELETE!

2) if a phone number is not in my area code, or a "neighboring" area code . . . DELETE!

3) all other responses . . . DELETE!

Works well for me!