Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GLOCK 34

steel3924

I have a Glock 34, that I had been shooting. Used it to shoot my first USPSA match in Production. I just got a STI, that I will be shooting in limited & limited 10 class.

I just don't want put the gun on the shelf, so I thought about converting it to an Open gun. I have seen these on the internet and they look like a lot of fun.

Any thoughts if this would be a worth while project. I already have a ported barrel for it. I like the looks of the JP sight, mounted right to the slide, the weaver mount makes the gun look to bulky. I would like to get pros and cons on the mounting systems. Also, I am just now getting into reloading will I be able to load the 9mm to shoot in major. I haven't made a study yet of what possibilities there are.

It would be used merely as another type of match I could compete in. I'm a new shooter that has been severly bitten by the shooting bug.

thanks....

I just don't want put the gun on the shelf, so I thought about converting it to an Open gun. I have seen these on the internet and they look like a lot of fun.

Not a big fan of ported barrels. One thing you can do is leave the G34 top end as is and buy a bare G17 slide and get a kit from Jager that has a barrel, comp, guide rod, and C-More sight. You can swap in the internals from the G34 and put it on the frame and you have an open gun. Add a magwell and extended mag release as well if you wish.

Edited by Graham Smith

Any thoughts if this would be a worth while project. I already have a ported barrel for it. I like the looks of the JP sight, mounted right to the slide, the weaver mount makes the gun look to bulky. I would like to get pros and cons on the mounting systems. Also, I am just now getting into reloading will I be able to load the 9mm to shoot in major. I haven't made a study yet of what possibilities there are.

Defiantly stay away from the ported barrel. I built a Open Glock 17L for a buddy of mine & it was kinda hard to make run consistently because the slide was soooooo long! He eventually bought a G17 slide & barrel & used his original comp. Now he is experimenting with comps, Jager, Carver (both minor & major) & SJC. His gun makes major with 3 powders, Power Pistol, HS6 & AutoComp with 124grn JHP's. AutoComp is the most consistent of all & feels the best to both him & I. He started his build using the Leupold Delta Point (bigger window then STS), but has switched to the SJC Mount & a full size C-More. If you want to do it on the cheap, buy a threaded barrel, a comp, which sight you like & a magwell, built some magss & have fun! Don't spend a ton of $$ if your only going to shoot it every once in awhile. Hope that helps

I have a Glock 34, that I had been shooting. Used it to shoot my first USPSA match in Production. I just got a STI, that I will be shooting in limited & limited 10 class.

It would be used merely as another type of match I could compete in. I'm a new shooter that has been severly bitten by the shooting bug.

thanks....

Not a big fan of ported barrels. One thing you can do is leave the G34 top end as is and buy a bare G17 slide and get a kit from Jager that has a barrel, comp, guide rod, and C-More sight. You can swap in the internals from the G34 and put it on the frame and you have an open gun. Add a magwell and extended mag release as well if you wish.

Defiantly stay away from the ported barrel. I built a Open Glock 17L for a buddy of mine & it was kinda hard to make run consistently because the slide was soooooo long! He eventually bought a G17 slide & barrel & used his original comp. Now he is experimenting with comps, Jager, Carver (both minor & major) & SJC. His gun makes major with 3 powders, Power Pistol, HS6 & AutoComp with 124grn JHP's. AutoComp is the most consistent of all & feels the best to both him & I. He started his build using the Leupold Delta Point (bigger window then STS), but has switched to the SJC Mount & a full size C-More. If you want to do it on the cheap, buy a threaded barrel, a comp, which sight you like & a magwell, built some magss & have fun! Don't spend a ton of $$ if your only going to shoot it every once in awhile. Hope that helps

THANKS FOR THE HELP....

I went to the Autocomp reloading data information. I thought the major factor was l65. How many grains are you using and what is the bullet weight.

I love this site, the people here are certainly helpful.

THANKS FOR THE HELP....

I went to the Autocomp reloading data information. I thought the major factor was l65. How many grains are you using and what is the bullet weight.

It is..

you won't find this loadout (major pf with 9mm) in any book.

124gr MG JHP

7.2gr Autocomp

1.170 OAL

.375 crimp

1395fps

172pf

THANKS FOR THE HELP....

It is..

you won't find this loadout (major pf with 9mm) in any book.

124gr MG JHP

7.2gr Autocomp

1.170 OAL

.375 crimp

1395fps

172pf

I really appreciate it. I just went on line and bought some AutoComp powder. I will certainly try your formula out.

thanks again.

HOLD ON!!!!!

You will absolutely need to reduce this load. The 1.170 COAL is to long for Glock 9mm mags.

Seat your bullets to 1.150 - 1.155 and DROP the charge to 6 grns. Slowly work up to major velocites

using a chronograph.

I really appreciate it. I just went on line and bought some AutoComp powder. I will certainly try your formula out.

thanks again.

HOLD ON!!!!!

You will absolutely need to reduce this load. The 1.170 COAL is to long for Glock 9mm mags.

Seat your bullets to 1.150 - 1.155 and DROP the charge to 6 grns. Slowly work up to major velocites

using a chronograph.

I completely agree, everyone gun is different. Max OAL for all Glock 9mm mags is 1.169 inches, but I as well load my OAL to 1.150. With AutoComp 6.0grns is a little light to start, I would start at 6.4grns & go up from there, defiantly using a chronograph!

I'm useing a 9 mm major glock with a KKM and a carver comp at 7g of auto comp and a 124g fmj I was at almost 176 PF backed down to 6.8 and have a goof 170PF that shoots great, no need to go to 7.2 of auto comp ( at 7 cases were starting to bulge )

Any thoughts if this would be a worth while project. I already have a ported barrel for it. I like the looks of the JP sight, mounted right to the slide, the weaver mount makes the gun look to bulky. I would like to get pros and cons on the mounting systems.

With Glocks, the slide to frame fit is a little bit looser than other guns. Mounting the sight/optic to the slide helps get a more consistent POA/POI. You can also use more conventional holsters. With the sidemount, you're mounting to the frame, and will have to use a full blown race holster.

The downside is that there's a lot of torque/jarring, as the sight is moving every time the slide moves (every time the gun goes bang) so make sure it doesn't rattle loose/get damaged.

• 2 years later...

Recoil spring questions.

I have a Glock 34 Gen 4 with the kkm compensated barrel.

I am new to the the gun.

It has a gen 3 conversion recoil spring and guide rod but I received several recoil springs with the gun.

I am wanting to know what weight recoil spring to use 12 or 13 lb.? or what? higher ?

It has a Slide mounted Cmore STS sight which seems to make the slide heavier.

Can anyone tell me about what I should choose as far as the recoil spring goes?

I want this setup to be reliable in competition.

Edited by Brine0