Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SSS tungsten guide rod

ghertz

the description says "Longer than a standard guide rod and extends to the end of the guide rod counterbore in the slide"...I'm not sure what the means so I figured a picture would sort it out for me

Guiderod and spring is what I'm trying to figure out as well. Has anyone tried both lengths and have reasons for one or the other. I've got the SSS magwell and tf basepads and think the extra weight up front will balance the gun out

Edited by ghertz

• 1 year later...

Tried 11# spring, gun could cone our of battery with movement and settled on 13# as the magic #. I also gave the SSS guide rod. Gun seems flatter than stock, but not by much ie might be more in my head. Weight is very close to going over restriction so UT might be gun specific if yours makes weight or not.

• 5 months later...

I just ordered a SSS tungsten guide rod for my M&P Pro and what they sent is the same as for the 4.25" gun. So they have one that's longer?

Yes they have a longer one. If yours is a Pro 5" get the longer one. Works great with either 15 or 13 lb. spring. Noticeable difference, IMO.

Btw, in the 4.25" gun the tungsten guide rod works great with a 13# recoil spring (124g FMJ w/4.0g N320).

Ive been giving heavy consideration to getting the tungsten guide rod for my 4.25", i am already running the 13# spring on the stock captured rod. Have you noticed a significant amount of improved muzzle flip with the tungsten guide rod? It seems to me that would be the only improvement over the stock rod.

Btw, in the 4.25" gun the tungsten guide rod works great with a 13# recoil spring (124g FMJ w/4.0g N320).

Ive been giving heavy consideration to getting the tungsten guide rod for my 4.25", i am already running the 13# spring on the stock captured rod. Have you noticed a significant amount of improved muzzle flip with the tungsten guide rod? It seems to me that would be the only improvement over the stock rod.

It does reduce muzzle flip. But to me it also improves the feel of the gun in my hands. But that could be personal preference. I'm used to a long dust cover SV limited gun.