Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gaming Gun & Equipment

oddjob

Shot my first IDPA match. Here's my gaming thoughts.

1) Use a plastic holster because its slicker (faster) and mag pouches.

2) Use a 38 Super or 9mm 1911 design gun (loaded to a PF of about 125-130).

3) Mag capacity does matter in this game (the tactical reload and etc, I used a 45 ACP 1911 with factory rounds and it is a disadvantage). I would have done better with a 9mm, 38 Super or I guess a 40 SW. Use different capacity mags depending on the course of fire.

4) IDPA ain't all that tactical, unless the stage designers had different thoughts.

5) I saw more pissin' and moanin' about stages than a USPSA match (I will say 98% of the shooters were cool).

5) USPSA style shooting is a lot more fun.

Can others tell me what they think the best gaming gun is for IDPA???

3) Mag capacity does matter in this game (the tactical reload and etc, I used a 45 ACP 1911 with factory rounds and it is a disadvantage). I would have done better with a 9mm, 38 Super or I guess a 40 SW. Use different capacity mags depending on the course of fire.

IDPA actually has a rule against that --- you need to use mags of the same capacity for the whole match. No mixing and matching of seven or eight rounders for the 1911 in .45 for example....

5) I saw more pissin' and moanin' about stages than a USPSA match (I will say 98% of the shooters were cool).

This depends on where you shoot ---- there are some really good IDPA matches out there, just like locally there are really good IPSC matches to be found....

The best IDPA gamer gun is one that has a magazine with an odd number of rounds.

Unless there is a match director like me who likes to put in a steel or specify more hits on the target than just the normal double tap, next target, etc.

oddjob:

Did they explain the different divisions? The idea is that you only compete against similar equipment. You should not have been at any disadvantage with the 1911 in in your division (CDP). I agree that ammo loaded to something less than factory levels is the way to go. The organizers should have also explained about classifications. This based on your skill level. For what it is worth, it is harder to advance in classification levels in CDP (1911 45s only) than it is in SSP (Glock, Sigs, Beretta, CZ 9mm).

Ditto on choosing the number of rounds based on the stage design. In our club that would get you an FTDR (20 seconds). So would changing around the mag capacity (7's v 8's)

I agree that IDPA is not all that tactical - it really isn't supposed to be. It is supposed to be defensive. To me tactical is more offensive in nature (clearing a house to make an arrest, cleaning out a nest of drug dealers, etc).

If you want an even more realistic version, try Polite Society. There you will be at a disavantage with a 9mm. The scoring is more stringent and they use lots of reactive targets that wont fall unless you hammer them with a couple of 9s in quick succession.

A 1911 in anthing smaller, like 38 super or 9 mm, would be in the ESP division, not in the CDP class. If I read the rules right anyway, I'm also a learning rookie.

So, I would think that if you're playing "gamer," a 1911 in these calibers would be a disadvantage against the high powers and the XD's because of magazine capacity.

That is my opinion anyway, if someone disagrees, I'd love to hear it and the reason for it. Like I said, I'm just learning too.

An S_I widebody with a short dustcover in 9mm/.38 super is the ultimate gaming gun in ESP as the reloads are easier than a single stack.

Even the Tactical reload done at the gun? I'd think skinny mags would have an advantage just in ergonomics.

I got a Kimber in .40 with it I use 9 round CMC 10mm mags. Topping off I get 10 rounds which to me is perfect for IDPA. You can load .40 wuss loads that will rival 9mm in felt recoil. Lately I just use my major loads. Got the SSC coming up.

I beleive Scott Warren has used this set-up to win the ESP division in 3-4 IDPA Nationals.

Jim

No one explained the classes in great detail, so I just asked the fellow shooters, and they were cool. Even my son said IDPA wasn't as much fun as USPSA. I have an old single stack 38 super that I was going to have made into a 9mm. I figured it would be good for IDPA and for shooting steel in limited division.

Thought about having the odd number of rounds in the mag.......Good call Erik. I did have two 7 round mags and an 8 rounder for my 45. Didn't know you can't switch mags. I'm a FNG with IDPA so I'll use that excuse for awhile. I used my old duty gun and full factory rounds for this match so I don't feel too bad about where I finished. Before I "gamed" a stage/procedure I did ask the local guru on the squad the appropriate question so I didn't make anybody mad. The match was OK, but its like kissing your sister (or brother) after one has experienced life a bit. Not the same as USPSA. I will shoot it again, but not anytime soon. I would still welcome any gaming thoughts for IDPA though.

Kimber Custom Classic in .40 S&W only available in Stainless.

S&A magwell

Ed Brown Wide Extended ambi saftey

SV trigger Enos Cut

SV hammer and sear

EGW titanium strut

ISMI 17# main spring

Dawson fiber optic front sight

ISMI 12.5# recoil spring

Ahrend grips

EGW slide stop

You probally don't need alot of this stuff. It just feels better to me. The trigger breaks crisp at 2 pounds 4 ounces.

There are some tricks to get a .40 slide stop working correctly. First I removed as much of the lug as I could while still getting good contact on the follower. Next I put a shallow detent for the plunger to drop into. Works perfect if I change mag springs at least once a season.

I think Scott Warren uses a Springfield.

Jim

A friend talked us into the IDPA match, so we went. Didn't really think about reading all the rules.....It's a lazy thing...I'll admit it.....But I will shoot IDPA again.........

1) Use a plastic holster because its slicker (faster) and mag pouches.

True. Of course, I use a plastic holster and mag pouch (Blade-Tech) for everyday carry and just run the same holster/mag pouch in IDPA.

2) Use a 38 Super or 9mm 1911 design gun (loaded to a PF of about 125-130).

That might be true if there were no divisions of competition. Thing is, in ESP you're gonna find yourself competing against people with equivalent technology so there's no real advantage to doing that.

3) Mag capacity does matter in this game (the tactical reload and etc, I used a 45 ACP 1911 with factory rounds and it is a disadvantage). I would have done better with a 9mm, 38 Super or I guess a 40 SW.

Depends on the stage. At my club, many stages seem built around a 9-shot handgun. The guys with 11-shot handguns think they have an advantage over me with my single-stack .45 and 8-shot magazines. I know I have an advantage over them.

Use different capacity mags depending on the course of fire.

Illegal.

4) IDPA ain't all that tactical, unless the stage designers had different thoughts.

Again, depends on the skill of the stage designer.

In my experience it's about equal.

I shoot both. I love both. They both have their challenges and enjoyments.

I can see I came late to the party on this one, so I'm addressing a lot of stuff at once.

For what it is worth, it is harder to advance in classification levels in CDP (1911 45s only) than it is in SSP (Glock, Sigs, Beretta, CZ 9mm).

Honestly, I don't believe that's true. The great trigger on the 1911 more than makes up for light 9mm recoil, even though the standards to "make rank" are higher in CDP than SSP.

A 1911 in anthing smaller, like 38 super or 9 mm, would be in the ESP division, not in the CDP class. If I read the rules right anyway, I'm also a learning rookie.

So, I would think that if you're playing "gamer," a 1911 in these calibers would be a disadvantage against the high powers and the XD's because of magazine capacity.

Wilson has in the past produced a truly neat 10-round .38 Super magazine. Though they're sadly out of production, they're still around and easily available. We're seen them for sale several times in the Enosverse Classifieds, for instance. They're what I'd use were I shooting a .38 Super/9x23/etc. 1911 in IDPA, just because that's what I have. Though again, whether having either 9, 10 or 11 rounds in-gun is an "advantage" is going to vary from stage to stage and match to match. My advice: pick one and live with it, knowing it'll all average out in the end.

An S_I widebody with a short dustcover in 9mm/.38 super is the ultimate gaming gun in ESP as the reloads are easier than a single stack.

Not really. If this were USPSA/IPSC where all we did were speedloads, that might be true. But in IDPA where so many times we have to stuff a magazine into a pocket, I find the thin singlestacks easier to drop into the hole. And they're definitely easier to manipulate during a tac-load when you have to hold two magazines in one hand, especially for those with small hands.

No one explained the classes in great detail

Just a bit of terminology: "Class" refers to your ranking within the sport, Master, Expert, etc. "Division" refers to what type of gun you're shooting, Stock Service Pistol, Custom Defensive Pistol, etc.

I used my old duty gun and full factory rounds for this match so I don't feel too bad about where I finished.

Probably not a good time to mention the match I fired two months ago with my carry gun and factory hardball, and came in 1st place, huh? ;)