Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 9mm Production set-up

SlappyM&P

hello,

I am fairly new to competetive shooting and want to know everyones thoughts on loads for production class. I am currrently shooting 115g factory Federal Champions. I have a Dillon RL 550B but dont know about bullet weight or powder configurations. According to the USPSA rules i need a power factor of 125. What combos do you recommend for lower recoil loads.

4.0 - 4.1 grains of bullseye with a 115 grain montana gold bullet will give you 129-130 power factor with a glock 17, a lot of the good shooters prefer a 124 or a 147 grain bullet. They say it makes for a softer feel. I shoot the 115 grain bullet because it is the best value by the case. Good luck and be safe

Usually the heavier the bullet gives you softest felt recoil. So alot of guys seem to use 147 gn. That's what I have started out reloading and compared to the factory 115 I used to shoot, it definitely feels softer

hello,

I am fairly new to competetive shooting and want to know everyones thoughts on loads for production class DIVISION. I am currrently shooting 115g factory Federal Champions. I have a Dillon RL 550B but dont know about bullet weight or powder configurations. According to the USPSA rules i need a power factor of 125. What combos do you recommend for lower recoil loads.

Like the previous post said, heavier bullets are preferred. 147gr to be specific. look into here BBI 147gr.

OR if you have bigger budget, try Montana Gold jacketed bullets.

Powder can depend on your budget too, if money is no object get Vihta Vouri N320. If not, titegroup seems to be a powder of choice by many. i use W231 or HP38. Another thing is that you should at least have or know somebody that has a chrono to measure your bullet speed to know where you power factor is.

147 grain seems to be the preferred bullet weight for 9mm minor. BBI makes a great bullet but they are backlogged. When loading for minor I suggest loading to at least 130-135pf; power factor is calculated by bullet weight X velocity divided by 1000.

Edited by SIG shooter

sees sights. i need to shoot jacketed ammo due to indoor regulations. My budget leans more toward the 115g or 124g. I use titegroup, unique, and bullseye. I currently do not have a chrono. I would feel more comfortable around a 127 pf. I was just reading another post about slow barrels???? I have alot to learn....

sees sights. i need to shoot jacketed ammo due to indoor regulations. My budget leans more toward the 115g or 124g. I use titegroup, unique, and bullseye. I currently do not have a chrono. I would feel more comfortable around a 127 pf. I was just reading another post about slow barrels???? I have alot to learn....

First thing you probably need to do is to read all of the thread I'm going to link below. It will answer many of your questions. Second, experiment with the search function (it works really well here) since you're going to have a LOT of questions as you go along, and you can't simply start a new thread every time you have a question (most have been answered many, many times)....that also gets you your answers much faster.

As far as PF, 127PF is nowhere near enough...it needs to be more like 130-135PF (I wouldn't go below 135) if you're ever going to consider going to a match where they chrono, and if you want to ensure you're meeting the rules. 2PF is within the shot to shot variation of even very consistent ammo, so it's nowhere near enough cushion. If you do go to a match where they chrono, and you don't make Minor (125PF), you're only shooting for fun, not score...total waste.

Lastly, there is no "best" Production (which is a Division, not a Class) setup. Your best bet is to get involved with your local club and try as much as you can...folks will be glad to let you check out their guns/gear etc, and that will save you a lot of time.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78927&view=findpost&p=913533

thanks postalbob. Do you shoot round nose, flat nose, or hollow point? Does it make a difference?

I shoot 147gr Zero HP's with 3.8 WSF behind it. I like the HP's because the base of the bullet (the side exposed to powder) is covered with a jacket. Therefore, less exposure to lead and less fowling/smoke. I guess CMJ's would work, but I've found and heard that with HP's, the company takes just a little more time to make them, and you get a more consistent round. YMMV.

127 PF may not be advisable unless you have all the variables factored in. Something that close runs the risk of shooting sub minor. I try for about a 135, it's only a few FPS difference, almost non distinguishable, and gives you a little cushion if some is on the LO end.

As for slow barrels, a longer barrel will give you a higher velocity. You need to test your particular load and gun to see where it's putting them out at.

g-man bart. thanks for the advice on how to best use the forum. i stand corrected on the divison/class. i knew i was wrong when i said class but division escaped me at the time. i told you in the beginning i had alot to learn, that is why i am in the beginners section. I appreciate all of the help. how many matches chrono ammo?

thanks postalbob. Do you shoot round nose, flat nose, or hollow point? Does it make a difference?

I shoot round nose FMJ's from Precision Delta. I know a lot of guys shoot 147gr, but cost is also a factor for me. And since I'm just shooting in local matches, I'm not worried about about power factor for now. I've gone as low as 3.6gr Titegroup with the 124gr bullets. And this through a Glock Gen4 17. This is definitely below min power factor, and the empty shell barely eject from gun, but it is very low recoil. For light practice loads I use 3.8gr Titegroup, and use the 4gr for matches.

Edited by Postal Bob

how many matches chrono ammo?

Most matches above the local level will chrono. Usually someone from your club will help you out in the beginning, but often they'll want to do the shooting part (for obvious reasons). Sooner or later, you really should get your own, and even an $80 Shooting Chrony will get the job done. R,

You will also find that there are plenty of variations that will affect how fast the bullet is going ie. gun, barrel, powder, temp, etc... If you don't want to spend the money on a chrono, find a buddy or member at your club that has one and figure out what your ammo is doing.

If you run around 127 PF, many of the individual

cartridges (std variation) will be below 125 PF,

and you'll have trouble knocking down steel

which is calibrated to fall at PF 125.

Really embarassing to hit a popper 2=3 times and

it stands there looking at you:(

You need to have your Average PF at 130 so that

NONE of your ammo will be below 125 PF.

You really won't notice the difference in recoil/

noise/muzzle lift between 127 and 132 average PF.

But, it's definitely worth the small amount of

extra powder.

Buy a case (3750) 124 grain MG, load them to

PF 130, and enjoy - you'll be all set to start

a wonderful adventure.

Good luck

Jack

Good advice above.

You're going to want a heavier bullet. Most 9's barrels are optimized for 124gr, and 124gr is going to do better with steel. A minimum of 124gr is also going to be easier to make PF with. This new bullet should be plated or jacketed so you won't have to deal with leading issues if you end up shooting 180 rounds at a match. If you call Berry Mfg they'll send you a 124gr sampler kit that has about 8 different types of bullets in it. That will let you get some good info really fast about what shape bullet your chamber might like best. Not all guns like all bullets, so DO NOT order 1000 bullets until you know what works for you. Don't ask me how I know this. :unsure:

There are tens of powders that will do great for you. Everyone has a favorite, any of which may not be sold anywhere near where you are. :angry: Here's how you can go powder shopping at your local source. 124gr needs about 1040/1050 fps to make minor PF. Right? So a powder like Win231 that maxes out at 1043 fps leaves you on the razor's edge. Not good. Look for a powder than will deliver ~1100 fps at max load. Then you can comfortably and reliably make 1050 fps while only loading at ~90% of max. The load will be "hot" enough to burn really clean, but not so hot that it's hard on the gun or you. Capishe?

Hope this helps! ;)

Edited by rfwobbly

Initially started with 3.3 grn. of Titegroup under 147 grn. MG. OAL was 1.126 or so out of a M&P Pro 5". Very little muzzle flip. Have since switched to 3.5 grns. VV N320, same bullet, OAL and gun. Prefer the VV, it may be a little more expensive than TG, but seems to be cleaner and has a somewhat different recoil feel. Another thing I like is that with VV, its easier to see how much is in the case after Sta 2 on the press. It also meters a lot more accurately than TG. Either way though, I prefer the 147 over the 124 factory Amer Eagle my wife and I used to use at the matches.

hello,

I am fairly new to competetive shooting and want to know everyones thoughts on loads for production class. I am currrently shooting 115g factory Federal Champions. I have a Dillon RL 550B but dont know about bullet weight or powder configurations. According to the USPSA rules i need a power factor of 125. What combos do you recommend for lower recoil loads.

Welcome

I'm in AZ where it's hot so my loads are for here. This was out of a Glock 17

147Gr Zero

3.2gr Titegroup

1.120 OAL

.375 Crimp

Averages 870FPS

Average PF was 128

Now you can bump that up to 3.6gr and be well above the PF for security but the recoil is felt alot more.

You're gonna get a kick out of this.

At local matches shooting steel, I was using 2.9gr TG....took along time for the bullet to reach the target, but there was no recoil...very soft shooting. Wife loved them as well :roflol:

Guy would ask what powder are you using in those while they laugh... I said "Just enough to get the bullet out of the barrel" :roflol:

• 2 months later...

I 124gr is the obvious choice to start with. It's a little cheaper, it works well, and its the standard weight in 9mm IMHO. After some extra trigger time try some 147's and see how you like them.

• 2 weeks later...

how many matches chrono ammo?

When you're shooting minor - every match "chrono's ammo" because

they all use steel targets that have to be knocked down to score.

If you load to pf127, many of your rounds will be below pf125

and not knock down the steel poppers - very embarassing to shoot

the same popper three times, audibly hit it three times, and

have it stay up - don't ask how I know:(

Load to pf 132, at least - you won't notice the difference in

recoil/muzzle lift.

Good luck,

Jack