Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need to shoot Alphas up close

ErikW

nothing left but to pull the trigger as fast as possible, right?

That's the illusion of IPSC - that speed is more important than accuracy. They really are like a see-saw. Even so, because it's difficult for the mind to entertain more than one concept at a time, you have to start with one. So the trick is have points as your first priority, and let the time take care of itself, because in the heat, you probably won't shoot too slow...

But then a common trap that follows too much emphasis on points is that one becomes too deliberate, maybe almost shooting "scared" to drop points. That's where the balancing comes in. You have to learn how to see so your shooting fills up the A box, instead of shooting the center out of it.

be

This is a very interesting thread. I think it has evolved into more than just 'checker flag finishes' with BE's last quote thou,,,

One to read, re-read then read again...

We only had one of these stages at today's match. I was like Rain Man doing my walk-through... "Yeah, must shoot Alphas, yeah. I'm a good shooter." It worked, as I only dropped two Cs on all the hoser targets, just one in the last three. I was definately looking for and seeing the A box. But I dropped a D on the first target!

• 4 months later...

I used to be embarassed by non-alphas (even mikes sometimes) on those close stages and after a while i realised that I was shooting from a conclusion iow i did not see the target as a challenge so in my mind i had already shot it.. I really had to work on my mindset and forced myself to see my sights on 3 yds. target. Eventually I shot closer targets with greater deliberation than mid-distance targets. With mid-distance, mid-challenge targets my mindset is more in tune with being in the now and so I flow better.

It really wasn't any slower but my points went up. In the end it all came down to being able to change gears due to seeing what I needed to see and simultaneously being able to choose the right inputs for the shot.

• 2 weeks later...

You could get some 3" x 5" cards and write, "Erik shoots all A's on the close targets on all stages". Post them on your frig, your car dash, your reloading area and perhaps your dry firing area. Read it a few times a day for say 30 days. Its what Lanny Bassham suggests, its supposed to change you from the Not shooting A's on the close targets guy to the A shooting on close targets guy.

Of course a lot of practice on stages set up with close targets at the end might help to:)

MVS

This is no longer a big problem but need to stay on top of it so it doesn't come up again. I was practicing wide transitions at 5 yards today and sure enough on the transition target I was shooting early into the C zone. Patience...

E,

Don't let Uncle Bill give you too much static...or I'll have to tell how he handled the "in your face" targets at the start of a stage we had in Circleville this year (Bill's first match back).

OK...I'll tell...

I can't recall his hits...but I can tell ya how long it takes him to pick his big stick off the ground and put it back in the gun. :D:P:lol:

(Sorry Bill :D But, now that your back...we can tease you for that one!)

Think simply and fundamentally, act decisively and deliberately.

Set up one IPSC target at 10 yards, and draw and shoot two shots into the A box as quickly as possible. But wait, don't just shoot them into the A box, shoot a nice pair right in the center of the A box. Get rid of any concept of time. Your actions will be powerful, specifically directed, and deliberate. On the countdown, you're looking right where you want the shots to go. At the buzzer, snap your vision back to right were the sights will appear - in perfect alignment. Since you knew "this was going to happen" - because your plan included every detail of how you were going to feel and what you were going to see - the shots will hammer into the center of the A box simultaneously with the visual witnessing. Apply this specific, deliberate way of planning to a string of three targets, then complete stages.

Don't leave anything visually left to chance. There's always going to be plenty of unexpected things happening to rattle your performance... so don't let an incomplete visualization of what you are going to do add to the disaster factor.

be