Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cable Modem

Patrick Sweeney

After putting up with my flaky dial-up, I finally succumbed to the lures of 6 months of cheap cable modem service. Yowza! Multi-meg jpegs download in a few seconds. Each page on the Forum I click to is there right away.

Between this and the honkin' big TV, I'm never going to get to the range again.

Come on Pat; you have to get out to the club some times. Even if it is just to test out a new toy. So what speed did you end up getting? Well hopefully I will see you at LGC again after you get used to the high speed of this.

Brian AKA LGCStats

No, my earlier systems (with the earlier e-mail address) got subjected to several virus attacks. As a result, I was on every single friggin' spam and junk list out there. I came back form a two week vacation to face 4,817 e-mails waiting to be downloaded. The three hours that took convinced me to change both address and service.

Hmmm... howcum MY dial-up isn't flaky or slow, then...?....... Efficient ISP (and the new Pentium 4, maybe)....... I don't actually have much trouble with dial-up at the moment. Besides, these folks have the best garbage filters in the region and I like that. :D I am reluctant to change. (There's still no DSL in my neighborhood anyway.) <_<

• 1 month later...

I hit a new highwater mark on my new address and cable modem: ten e-mails waiting when I logged on. And they took five seconds to download. I do not miss my dial up, and I do not miss my old e-mail address with its pack of remora spammers.

And I do not miss having to spend five to ten minutes dialing, letting the software do its thing, find and download the (37 or more) new messages since lunch, to see if I have one reply from my Editor.

As much fun as a new gun in the mail for T&E.

And I do not miss having to spend five to ten minutes dialing, letting the software do its thing, find and download the (37 or more) new messages since lunch, to see if I have one reply from my Editor.

While tying up your phone line.

I feel your happiness.

be

Broadband is the bomb. It also opens you up to some nasties, however. Make sure you have a copy of AdAware on hand (to run every couple weeks) from www.lavasoftusa.com (the free version is fine) and an updated copy of some antivirus software...preferrably Norton AntiVirus (the 2003 version if you can still find it). A firewall is always a good idea, but I don't think it's necessary. If you want to go that route: zonelabs.com is the one to have (also a free version) or a hardware router would be even better (something like $60 - $100, D-Link, Netgear, Linksys are good names).

A broadband connection is like adding another door to your house. Make sure you put a lock on it and don't let the bums in!

- Gabe

• 5 years later...

I did mine about 2 months ago, the cheap period is about to end but I think it's worth it. Being able to watch those shooting videos at home instead of work has made it worthwhile. I kept forgetting to hit the mute button at work, and the sound of gunfire filling the corridor.

Edited by BritinUSA

I did mine about 2 months ago, the cheap period is about to end but I think it's worth it. Being able to watch those shooting videos at home instead of work has made it worthwhile. I kept forgetting to hit the mute button at work, and the sound of gunfire filling the corridor.

:D Sweet!