Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HS-6

ncboiler

Hello: I have found HS-6 to be very stable temp wise. That is why I used it at nationals last year. It also has been very good jug to jug but I still test after I open a new jug to make sure. Thanks, Eric

Thanks Eric.

I will definitely chrono when I open a new jug, I was just hoping I wouldn't get wild swings from lot to lot.

Hello: I have found HS-6 to be very stable temp wise. That is why I used it at nationals last year. It also has been very good jug to jug but I still test after I open a new jug to make sure. Thanks, Eric

Thanks Eric.

I will definitely chrono when I open a new jug, I was just hoping I wouldn't get wild swings from lot to lot.

I have been using HS-6 in 9 major for several years, I no longer check for variation. In my guns it likes to run about 175 PF...burns cleaner there and lowest extreme spread. Chrono at Area 6 had 3 rounds within 2 FPS.

Sherwyn

NCBoiler, can I add another question here?

How does HS-6 compare to 3n38/3n37? Feel? Clean or dirty? smoke? etc? I have not tried either of them but I want to. Before I go buy pounds of it, just wondering about the HS-6 since it seems to be one of the most talked about for 9Major.

Thanks and love the avatar!!

A couple of questions....

1. Is HS-6 a temperature sensitive powder?

2. Does HS-6 vary much from lot to lot? I plan on testing on new jugs of powder just curious what others have found.

Thanks.

I used HS6 for three years - for the 115 gr bullets, the case is pretty

full - easier to load 124's -less powder, and more space in the case.

I just switched to Winchester Auto Comp, and to 124 gr bullets - lots of

room in the case - not so full of powder - and feels softer/cleaner to me.

Doesn't seem to have any drawbacks - I'm staying with WAC for a while,

anyway.

The other powders you mentioned really fill the case up, I believe??:?

Jack

NCBoiler, can I add another question here?

How does HS-6 compare to 3n38/3n37? Feel? Clean or dirty? smoke? etc? I have not tried either of them but I want to. Before I go buy pounds of it, just wondering about the HS-6 since it seems to be one of the most talked about for 9Major.

Thanks and love the avatar!!

I've only shot about 200 rounds of HS-6 at local matches, so I probably need more time with it but my initial thoughts are that is has a little less dot movement than the 3N38 in my gun. I can't comment on the clean/dirty part ... I hadn't cleaned the gun in about 800 rounds (both 3N38 and HS-6) but I wouldn't say it was any dirtier than normal. As others have mentioned, it burns cleaner at higher PF. I wanted to make sure the gun would run after that many rounds. I didn't notice any smoke issues.

I have 8lbs of HS-6 on the way and will use it this year.

Thanks Eric.

I have been using HS-6 in 9 major for several years, I no longer check for variation. In my guns it likes to run about 175 PF...burns cleaner there and lowest extreme spread. Chrono at Area 6 had 3 rounds within 2 FPS.

Sherwyn

That is awesome to hear! Thanks Sherwyn!

Thanks Eric.

Sherwyn

That is awesome to hear! Thanks Sherwyn!

Magnum primers also make it run a bit cleaner. HS6 is like soot in an oil heater, just a fine black film, so it doesn't shut the gun down like some of the chunky dirty powders aka AA#7 or Silhouette. These can cause issues in acc-u-railed guns since the tolerances are so tight, but I have not had issues in a regular gun with 500 rds or less.

I used HS6 for three years - for the 115 gr bullets, the case is pretty

full - easier to load 124's -less powder, and more space in the case.

I just switched to Winchester Auto Comp, and to 124 gr bullets - lots of

room in the case - not so full of powder - and feels softer/cleaner to me.

Doesn't seem to have any drawbacks - I'm staying with WAC for a while,

anyway.

Jack

Same two choices here. In fact, just a couple of days ago made two nearly identical loads for testing, 124gr MG JHP's, at about 1335fps, a few feet from each other, and for the life of me can't tell which one is in the gun! Went back and forth several times, and if I know which one is which, then I think the HS-6 is a bit softer, but randomly I can't pick it out. Dot jump is also nearly identical.

But WAC is whole lot cleaner, no question about it, also much, much less smoke, which might be a consideration when shooting indoors.

In fact, just a couple of days ago made two nearly identical loads for testing, 124gr MG JHP's, at about 1335fps, a few feet from each other, and for the life of me can't tell which one is in the gun! Went back and forth several times, and if I know which one is which, then I think the HS-6 is a bit softer, but randomly I can't pick it out. Dot jump is also nearly identical.

But WAC is whole lot cleaner, no question about it, also much, much less smoke, which might be a consideration when shooting indoors.

Why bother testing at 165PF? Nobody takes that to a major match (or they're silly if they do), and the dot tracking may well be different when both loads are where they should be to give even a reasonable margin of error.

Why bother testing at 165PF? Nobody takes that to a major match (or they're silly if they do), and the dot tracking may well be different when both loads are where they should be to give even a reasonable margin of error.

It just happened to be that way, they were test loads, not match loads. Just happened to be the point where two powders gave me the same velocity. I normally shoot for 169-170, that should be enough margin. With both of these powders in my gun I have not noticed much of a behavior change between 165 and 170.

Hello: I run the power factor up to the 171-173 range. The HS-6 burns clean up ther and the dot settles down on the different combinations I've tried so far with 115 grain bullets. Silhouette has a little more flip but not much more. 3N37 is the cleanest of the 3 but is harder on the hand with a little more flip. If you run the power factor up with the 3n37 it does a little figure 8 type motion. This what I noticed on a shorty 9mm I had and a Bedell comp. I will have more results in a month or so. Thanks, Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Hello: I run the power factor up to the 171-173 range. The HS-6 burns clean up ther and the dot settles down on the different combinations I've tried so far with 115 grain bullets. Silhouette has a little more flip but not much more. 3N37 is the cleanest of the 3 but is harder on the hand with a little more flip. If you run the power factor up with the 3n37 it does a little figure 8 type motion. This what I noticed on a shorty 9mm I had and a Bedell comp. I will have more results in a month or so. Thanks, Eric

Hi Eric, any further on your results yet? Also, what spring type, length, and weight do you use in your shorty? Thanks

Hello: No further results yet. I sold the shorty and I am now shooting a 5" I built. On the shorty I was using a 9lb ISMI recoil spring with a 5" recoil setup. I am testing Silhouette right now in the 5" but I need to bring the power factor down to the 170's. Last outing I was seeing 183PF :surprise: My HS-6 shorty load was 179PF in the 5" up from 173PF. Thanks, Eric