Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you really need a 1x optic when you have an offset red dot?

slemmo

I'm currently putting together my open rifle and have it set up with an Aimpoint Micro in an offset mount and a Leupold 3-9 optic borrowed from one of my bolt rifles.

I'm going to switch the Leupold for something with illuminated reticle, and just thought, why not get another good magnified optic instead of one that powers down to 1x.......what's the general consensus?

Edited by slemmo

The vast majority of Open shooters prefer their primary variable optic to be a 1x-something. The offset is used to deal with either varying distances within a stage that require different magnification or FOV without changing the primaries power. I run a different zero in my offset RDS so that I don't have to deal with mechanical offset on closer targets that are only partially exposed.

IMO running a 3-9 or other high power scope is a loser proposition as the higher magnification reduces FOV so much that time is lost transitioning and finding targets.

Edited by smokshwn

My idea would be to use the red dot for all short range targets out to 75-100 meters depending on size. And only use the optic for longer ranges, thus removing the need for powering down. never thought of having different zeros and swithing between the sights to solve different short range targets.....I'll have to think about this :cheers:

Edited by slemmo

I used to shoot open and I used an Optima and an ACOG. I had a couple matches were, after abandoning the rifle, the Optima got bumped and lost its zero. I was always weirded out worrying about whether the dot was holding zero or not. Plus its just one more thing with batteries that go dead.

After shooting tactical for the past 5 years with a 1.25-4x Accupoint I don't think a red dot gets you anything as long as your variable is illuminated. The offset is only about 2.5" and you just need to remember that on partials.

My .02

Edited by TMC

I have been shooting open with a ACOG TA-11E and a Eotech XPS on the 45' and it has worked out pretty well. I never worry about zero when I drop it into a barrel, however it looks a bit awkward (It is not, when shooting). However I will go with a variable on my next rifle...

Does your offset mount allow RD to be aligned over the bore? If it doesn't (like my Daniel Defense) the POI will move L&R from the POA at varying distances. Hits closer than zeroed distance moves POI R and farther moves L, but only about a inch either way if zeroed for CQ...

I use the DD 1* offset behind my TAC30 on the receiver. For the distances I use it, it is sufficiently "close enough". I tried it on the handguard at a cant, but liked having the lens closer to my eye for a bigger FOV.

This is my setup now, the reason I'm asking is that the 3-9 scope is borrowed from one of my bolt rifles, so I'm going to get a scope dedicated for the AR anyway. I think maybe I'm leaning towards a 1x scope, but on the other hand, if you use the RD for all close range shots, there shouldn't be a need to power the main scope down to 1x either.....I'm still thinking about this.

d01853f4.jpg

Edited by slemmo

I think it is a matter of $$$. Personaly I've grown to like a 6X-9X top end. Sure I would like to have a 1X on the low-end. But to get both I'd have to shell out $1,800-$2,700 more than the current magnified scopes that I use on my Open gun.

So until I win the lottery I'm going to stick with a 2X-3X bottom end on my main optic to go with the offset RDS.

If you have the $$, get a Swaro 1-6 and call it a day. IMO the offset RD was pioneered back in the day (by Voight, Miculek, et al) when there weren't any good 1-4 or 1-6 optics out there. So they used a 3-9 and a offset RD. IMO I think they continue using that because that's what they're used to and let's all be honest here, it's way more about the quality of the shooter than the quality of the equipment. So an expert w/ a 3-9 and offset RD will be faster than an average shooter w/ a 1-6 and vice versa. I would also contend that an expert w/ a 1-6 will do just as well as an expert w/ an offset RD. 6X is plenty for everything we shoot here (just wrapped up BRM3G as I type and 6X was plenty to hit the 540yd target on stage 3).

My point is that if you're just starting out, get a good 1-4 or 1-6 and practice w/ that - much easier to become competent w/ one optic. W/ a throw lever I contend that you're not losing anything to someone w/ an offset RDS.

My point is that if you're just starting out, get a good 1-4 or 1-6 and practice w/ that - much easier to become competent w/ one optic. W/ a throw lever I contend that you're not losing anything to someone w/ an offset RDS.

Proof would be in the splits. Does any one have their own data?

• 2 months later...

Proof would be in the splits. Does any one have their own data?

The best proof would be doing it four times on one stage.

I'd beat myself if I had to move a throw lever 8 times versus myself if I had to cant my rifle four times.