Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson or Limcat

50cal

Holy Smokes can you learn alot here! Thanks to all for sharing your wisdom. I have just about wrapped up my entire "kit" (Gun with mods and accessories and all reloading components). From the advice I have received, I have two Tuned 140mm tubes coming, I will order a half dozen or so of Grams' follower/spring kits next week. I will get a 170mm tube but probably try it out stock and maybe try to sort it out myself if it turns out to be "rough". I have definitely been assimilated and I have the credit card to prove it! :)

The last choice for me on mags is bases. I did do a search and found plenty of info, most indicates I will be quite happy with many choices. I would really like to nail down my the selection by getting a clear majority on the following bases.

LimCat or Dawson. Which would you take?

I am not worried about fitting the measuring gauge. With that said, are the +2 mag bases as good (read solid) as the +1 or 0's ? I don't mind not squeszing in the last possible round.

Cheers! and Thanks as always

Mike

Guest Larry Cazes

Mike, I have used Dawson pads for both my para P-14 Limited-10 gun and for my SV limited .40. They are extremely well made and the design of the latch is excellent. Dave is a super nice guy to deal with as well. I would suggest them wholeheartedly to anyone. Haven't tried the LIMCAT bases yet so I cannot make a comparison for you.

Same here. Dawson pads are pretty much bombproof and slick. Of course I hang out at his shop sometimes so I may be a tad biased, but I asked one night and Dave said he's had very very few ever come back busted. If I remember right, the number was less than 10.

50 cal,

Since you already have "seen the light" and got the GE springs & followers, don't stop there, get the pads too!

I'm a little biased but only because I've had such great luck and great service from Beven. If you stick with the whole package ( follower, spring & pad) you know it will work.

One thing to point out - keep the mags clean. Clean them every time they hit the ground and before every time you shoot.

I have used both Dawson and Limcat and can say I honestly prefer the Limcat. My tuned mags were not dropping free reliably when I hit the mag release button. So to solve the problem, I put the Limcats on and it worked. The mags just needed a bit of extra weight to help them drop reliably. They come apart pretty easily as well.

Why are you not considering Grams for the basepads? I've used them exclusively for (gulp) 7 years and can honestly say that i will never consider changing them. In all that time I had one failure and Beven handed me a new one to replace it!

Why are you not considering Grams for the basepads? I've used them exclusively for (gulp) 7 years and can honestly say that i will never consider changing them. In all that time I had one failure and Beven handed me a new one to replace it!

You know, I would prefer to use Grams' exclusively. I've heard (read) only great things about him and his products. I am a loyal consumer, once I find success with someone, I would walk through fire to support that person/company. Some compaies that will forever get my business are; Brazo's, Starline, Vihtavuori, Dillon, yada yada yada... The "value add" from this loyalty is priceless and top quality is top quality!

It doesn't appear to me that Grams has anything other than black plastic (I know the material is very credible, if not interesting) bases. Typically I lean toward the K.I.S.S. method and Grams proven bases are clearly designed to "get the job done" Now I am not so stylish that I want to go all out accessorizing with colored grips etc. (please-no offense to anyone, and dressed-up guns do look great! I'm just conservative).

In this case, I like the look of the metallic bases. So if I can have the same "get the job done" quality and function in an eye pleasing similarly price component, why not. You guys are not impressed at spending $3000+ on a gun, but this is my first and only a month ago I thought that would be foolish. Today I understand :) but that is a lot of dough! Most of my additional work is internal, the only visual queue on mine will be the mag base. However, I don't want to sacrifice performance. If Grams are simply better than the other designs then I will go with Grams.

sorry for being long winded and drawn out, you can wake up now :)

So, since it looks like Limcat and Dawson are going to come out virually equal, Which one connects to the tube more securely??

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike

Nothing wrong with the Grams pads either.. I've got some of them too. Mine need "tools" to get off and on, although you'll want to make one of these "tools" no matter what pads you get. Here's how it works:

Get one long 8-12" tie-wrap (those ratchet things used for bundling wires), and one suspiciously-match-hotel-looking washcloth. Pinch up a corner of the washcloth and lasso it with the tie-wrap. These work great for cleaning mag tubes (which you should do every time they hit the ground), and the tie-wrap also works nicely to remove U-pinned basepads like the Grams.

Get one long 8-12" tie-wrap (those ratchet things used for bundling wires), and one suspiciously-match-hotel-looking washcloth...

I'm sure it's been asked before, but it's too late and I'm too tired to hit Search...

So, Shred, do you have any relatives named McGyver? :P

In this case, I like the look of the metallic bases. So if I can have the same "get the job done" quality and function in an eye pleasing similarly price component, why not.

At least you know what you like, that's durned near impossible for an IPSC Shooter - LOL!

There is a difference between the Dawson and the Limcat and that is the Limcats are heavy! Your best bet, honestly, is to buy one of each and try them - you should be able to sell the one you don't want here on be.com rather quickly. (And if you're going to all that trouble, might as well throw in the Grams too :)

• 1 month later...

for what its worth... I received my Limcat Bases (+2). Verrrry shwing, and HEAVY! 29 rounds in the mags with a Limcat bases - no need to go to the gym. As was mentioned, they mount very securely. I really like the design. Still waiting for the gun so time will tell, I hope my magwell doesn't get in the way.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Mike

Bob Londrigan. I am so psych'd. I fondle my mags on a daily basis, and I can't resist making ammo (which is bad because who knows what load will work best with the gun).

What do shoot Kath?