Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Driving the BMW M3 V8

Had the opportunity again to drive the BMW M3 at the BMW Performance Center in Greer, SC. This car is just awesome! Turn up the volume to listen to that beautiful engine.

The video was shot using the I Kam Extreme glasses, not too bad if you ask me.

Oh yes, it needs a good long stretch to really get it going. They offer an Advanced M School at VIR (Virginia International Raceway) where you should be close to hitting the 155MPH speed limiter. I was not even getting to the shift light in 3rd gear at the end of the back straight, topping out between 80-90MPH. Not to shabby for the distance to play in.

Trey

Do they offer the car in 6-speed?

They do offer a standard 6-speed manual. But I must say, the dual clutch SMG is a thing of beauty. It shifts faster than any human could think about. It is just a manual transmission that you shift without a clutch pedal. Then you can put it in auto mode to cruise if you want.

Trey

Oh yes, it needs a good long stretch to really get it going. They offer an Advanced M School at VIR (Virginia International Raceway) where you should be close to hitting the 155MPH speed limiter. I was not even getting to the shift light in 3rd gear at the end of the back straight, topping out between 80-90MPH. Not to shabby for the distance to play in.

Trey

I didn't even just mean top speed. I hardly heard the tires bark. ;)

I didn't even just mean top speed. I hardly heard the tires bark. ;)

Yeah, we are not allowed to disengage the traction control. It's doing it's job to keep us in check. But remember, spinning tires are not accelerating! Even though it is more fun!

Now we were spinning tires up on the wet skidpad, turning right to keep going left!

Trey

Try the 550i-paddle shifters-awesome.

The 550 is a nice machine. Last time I did this we were driving the M5 instead of the M3. Who can argue with a 5 passenger 4 door car with 500+ HP?!?

I drive a 135i right now. That is a little rocket. Small car with a 300HP 300LB/FT twin turbo inline 6.

Trey

I am not a car guy. But, years ago I had an '88 325is that was a pleasure to drive. Redline in 3rd was about 85mph, 4th @ 110, and I hit the governed top speed of 128 a few times. All w/ a little 170 hp inline 6. I'm glad I lived through owning it! I traded the car on a pickup truck, which is what I've drove since.

• 2 weeks later...

BMWs are great cars. My wife just traded her '06 330 for a '11 Z4. It is a lot of fun to drive, but I haven't even figured out the paddle shifters yet :roflol:

Did she get the 3.0i, 3.5i, or 3.5is? If it's either of the 3.5's, it has the 7-speed double clutch transmission. That thing shifts like crazy. Dang near the SMG transmission in the M's.

Trey

I am not a car guy. But, years ago I had an '88 325is that was a pleasure to drive. Redline in 3rd was about 85mph, 4th @ 110, and I hit the governed top speed of 128 a few times. All w/ a little 170 hp inline 6. I'm glad I lived through owning it! I traded the car on a pickup truck, which is what I've drove since.

Even with all the power increase that these new cars have, the speed limiter is still there. Just now it's up to 155mph.

Trey

BMWs are great cars. My wife just traded her '06 330 for a '11 Z4. It is a lot of fun to drive, but I haven't even figured out the paddle shifters yet :roflol:

Did she get the 3.0i, 3.5i, or 3.5is? If it's either of the 3.5's, it has the 7-speed double clutch transmission. That thing shifts like crazy. Dang near the SMG transmission in the M's.

Trey

Her's is the 3.0i. We drove the 3.5is and it was AWESOME, but not worth the extra cash for us. Maybe next time :devil:

Edited by SV-COP

Trey

Her's is the 3.0i. We drove the 3.5is and it was AWESOME, but not worth the extra cash for us. Maybe next time :devil:

Yeah, the extra power is nice, but just a extra luxury. The only way I justify it, was the extra standard features you get with it.

Trey

• 2 months later...