Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MG 200g CMFP

toddrod

I just recieved my first case of MG 200g CMFP bullets yesterday and will be getting my chrono next week. Does anyone have a 165 PF load using Titegroup or 231 loaded to any length using this bullet. Just a starting point would be helpful and I will take it from there.

What caliber? 40?

Am I the only one scared to load to major in 40 with 231? I understand that small changes in OAL can give BIG changes in pressure with 231? And 200g is heavy in 40. Fast powder and heavy bullets = high pressure, right?

I agree, it's too fast (as are Bullseye, Clays, N320, etc.) for a 200. Use a slower powder, around medium speed (AA#5, N330, etc.) or slower. When 200 gr was popular at 175 PF Major, even "too slow" Vihtavuori 3N37 was a popular (and good) choice. I used N330 with the MG 200 at 165-170 PF.

Sorry, it is in 40 cal. I know that these are fast powders but I have pounds of this stuff on hand and would like to try these powders. I have seen one load of 4.4 TG loaded real long, but in my gun anything loaded over 1.75 OAL with a 200g just does not function realibly. I tried some with 4.0g TG at a shorter length with Federal primers and the primers flattened. Same load with WSP primers and no signs of pressure noted. Nice and accurate with snappy recoil but I have no clue as to what the FPS is.

Also forgot to say, my gun is a Para P 16-40 Limited. As far as Bullseye and 231 being TOO FAST for a 200g, my loading data pamphlets for Alliant list a 4.6g Bullseye load as max for 945 FPS and Winchester list I believe 4.0g for 850FPS which I will try.

With TG I would start at 3.7-3.9 and work up. As an example, @ 1.190" OAL, 4.5 gr of Titegroup with 180's makes 167 pf in my Schuemann barreled SV limited gun (40).

Always chrono and watch for signs of pressure.

I have a pound of N330 and I'm going to experiment with some 200's. Once I get the data, I'll post here.

I've used 5.0 grns. W231 with a 200gn. Star bullet at 1.200 OAL. with good results but with barrel thats lead reamed for longer bullets. If your using a stock Para barrel it's not lead reamed for longer bullets. I think Dawson offers this service. On the Paras he sells the barrels are lead reamed. Its pretty cheap to. If your planning on going with longer bullets get it lead reamed or you'll be blowin case heads off like I was with my Para with the same load I listed above. If your not going to get it lead reamed I wouldn't go any longer than 1.160 and probally with a little slower powder.

When I first blew a case in my Para at an indoor range with stalls it didn't feel to great to pelted in the side of the face with various HOT crap bouncing off the stall next to me :(

The next time it broke my extractor. But I was outdoors. B) Then I got the barrel lead reamed by a local smith. Never happened again with the same load over 4000 rounds. I switched to N320/200grn. and have had no problems. Now Im selling the para to get a STI. :D

USE CAUTION!

Jim

Guest Larry Cazes

Todd, if your gonna experiment with .40 major PF loads using a very fast powder and heavy bullet, you really should use extreme caution which in this game means doing ALL load development using a chronograph. Chamberings like .40SW with small case volumes can sneak up on you and bite you in the butt really quick and pressure signs such as primer flattening etc. are not always obvious.......

BlownCase-Small.jpg

This was the product of a slight overcharge and/or set back bullet with Titegroup and a 180gr bullet. I was very very lucky not to have disassembled my gun and me with it.

200gr bullets and TG is serious business. There's a reason why Hodgdon doesn't list a load for it. I know people are doing it, but I'm not sure that makes it safe.

[/Party Pooper Mode]

Why not try trading some of that TG you have with someone who has a slower powder? Get some Univ. Clays and you're in business. If you're local, I'd happily trade you a partial keg I have of U Clays.

Todd- Too fast a powder and too heavy a bullet. If you have pouds of powder around, then buy some 180g bullets and have at it. Save the 200's for the next run of powder, or trade them. The case that Eric posted may have blown up a Para. My P-16 is no where near as well built as my S*I. That is 1/2 of the reason that I switched. If your going to push the envelope, you should not be doing it with a Para. You should be listening to the Erics, they have the experience.

• 1 month later...

I didn't realize I was part of such a common experience regarding P-16's.

I too had a kaboom with a P-16 (mea culpa) when I first started shooting a 40 several years ago. Cracked the slide, frame, and scared the h... out of myself. Fixed it and bought a STI a year later. .40AET is correct: The STI is a much stronger gun. I proved this to myself when I had a bullet set back alittle and its detonation was noticeably louder and more powerful than normal. NO DAMAGE - and I was really glad I was shooting an S_I. The pressure was substantial as the case was bulged and the primer was gone. Before anybody pipes in about reloading practices, I've reloaded close to 100k rounds over the past 10 years or so. these were the only two problems I've had.

Well, I have taken everyones advice and bought a pound of WSF and make PF with 0.3g under max listed load. My TG load was showing pressure signs now that it is getting hot down here in Louisiana.

• 1 month later...

just wanted to get back with my experience with the WSF and 200g MG and 200 LTC. 4.5g WSF makes Major with the LTC and 5.5g with the 200g MG. These loads shoot real nice and accurate. The MG load run 885 form a P16-40 with +3 fps above or below the average. Thanks for all the recommendations I recieved.

Oddly enough, I was doing some experimenting with 200's one time with my Para P16-40. I was using PB and was using a listed load, but I didn't quite understand the significance of loading them long quite yet. I think the load was like 5.5 of PB with a 200 grain Bear Creak Moly coated lead bullet. They felt pretty stiff and about halfway through a box of 50, I had a case blow out. It was with PMC brass, took the head clean off the case, blew out the bottom of the mag well, and took all the plastic hinged parts out of the 1-10 round magazine I had. The gun was fine, the magazine could be fixed, but I wasn't going to bother yet. My buddy said it freaked me out so bad that I placed the gun down and stood back.. :D We then figured out what to do.. I did not finish shooting that box of ammo. The gun however was fine, nothing broken besides the magazine and I was not injured.

I think I'm going to stick with 180's from here on out in my Para.. though I am looking into using some 200 and 220 grain bullets in my Model 610 :)

Vince