Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major - Split Cases

Hi-Power Jack

Is it possible your cases have grown couple thousandths longer and are headspacing just out of full battery?

Could your OAL put your bullet so close to the lands that a small variance in your seating die put a bullet on the forcing cone keeping your slide .002" out of battery?

String, I guess it's possible that the cases could be a little longer, but not the OAL -

I was running them at 1.17", had two cases separations, and reduced the load to 1.165",

very slightly less I know, but still had another kaboom.

And it's no where close to being a compressed load - 7.2 gr of WAC is only 2/3rds of a case

full - plenty of space in there.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jack

If the load isn't seriously over pressure limits, a steeper pressure curve, or a hotter primer, simply won't make a decent case fail...period, end of story.

Conversely, if the load is seriously over pressure limits, as nearly 9mm Major loads are, then the primer may be the straw that broke the camel's back.

My research indicates that Power Pistol is the most forgiving powder in that respect.

I am assuming by using the word "research" you are referring to documented load data coming from an instrumented test barrel, correct?

Or are you just referring to uncontrolled chronograph and load data from your pistol?

I'm talking about fully supported 9mm pistols surviving double charges of PP under 124gr and 147gr bullets.

If the load isn't seriously over pressure limits, a steeper pressure curve, or a hotter primer, simply won't make a decent case fail...period, end of story.

Conversely, if the load is seriously over pressure limits, as nearly 9mm Major loads are, then the primer may be the straw that broke the camel's back.

My research indicates that Power Pistol is the most forgiving powder in that respect.

I am assuming by using the word "research" you are referring to documented load data coming from an instrumented test barrel, correct?

Or are you just referring to uncontrolled chronograph and load data from your pistol?

I'm talking about fully supported 9mm pistols surviving double charges of PP under 124gr and 147gr bullets.

So the answer is.... NO, not research just anecdotal opinion.

Edited by smokshwn

I bet that was a Winchester case.

How do I know? Over some time I have accumulated a small bag of such ruptured cases, and they are ALL, without a single exception, Winchesters. Your load is fine, I shoot that load a lot, except I don't use the Russian primers - for political reasons.

Here is the most recent case (pun...) like that.

Foxbat, when you have a ruptured case, besides the smoke, funny

noise and being frightened, have you had any bad effects from it:

1. damage to gun

2. damage to mag

3. setting off other rounds in the mag

4. bullet stuck in barrel

5. gun full of copper/brass fragments?

Anything? Or, does it seem to be harmless?

I haven't noticed any negatives to the rupture case.

Thanks

Jack

By your standard, none of the information posted on this site is of any value.

By your standard, none of the information posted on this site is of any value.

Yes, you are correct. My standard for someone misrepresenting their opinion as "research" while making statements with authority is pretty high.

My standard for someone who simply shares their anecdotal experience and states it as such is much less so.

Edited by smokshwn

I put 7.0 to 7.5 grs. of Auto Comp in new Starline cases, using Hornady HAP bullets OAL 1.170 out of a New MatchMaster. No cases split but they all are junk after one firing. I started using 9.3grs. of 3N38 & now most cases can be reloaded. These are the only 2 powders I have tried so far.

Edited by cjk2011

I put 7.0 to 7.5 grs. of Auto Comp in new Starline cases, using Hornady HAP bullets OAL 1.165 out of a New MatchMaster. No cases split but they all are junk after one firing. I started using 9.3grs. of 3N38 & now most cases can be reloaded. These are the only 2 powders I have tried so far.

Have you tried Power Pistol? It's a decent powder so far for me. How did you like the 3n38? I am going to get some soon and try that, what are chrono results?

I ran some 3N38 on Sunday

STI Match Master 4.15 barrel

Hornady 125gr HAP bullet

Starline case

9.2 gr got me a PF of 166 to 168

9.3 gr put me a PF of 171 to 172.8

The recoil is alot nicer than Auto Comp & my cases are not bulged as much

It was cold & raining. The powder is compressed & there is only about .080 from the powder to the top of the case. You will get podwer splash if you move to fast on a Dillon press