Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do I need a reloading manual if ?

Frank Einstein

I finally drank the blue Kool-aid poured from the enos pitcher. I bought 1000 rounds of Berry 45 Cal (.452)round nose, cci large pistol primers, and a container of Clays. After reading a bunch of forum posts and the hodgdon site, I was going to start by loading 3.5 grs. with an OAL of 1.25. (I know this might not make major but I am nervous just starting to reload and all).

So the question - every post seems to talk about the importance of reloading manuals. If I have only one powder, bullet, caliber, etc - is there any other info that will be in a reloading manual that I need for now? I doubt I will be using anything else for a while and I am not sure if a manual has info for Berry's bullets anyway.

You always want to "get it in writing"

A reloading manual is essential to check what others post,... what if it is a typo ? or someone posts by memory,.. not happening on my reloading bench and no not in my gun both are "no guess or hypothesis zones" there are no "ifs" when handling powder and ammunition that measures thousands of PSI only inches away from my hands,.or face..nope not until I check with the folks that R&D'd the components...

it is just another safety check most manufacturers will send you one if you ask them..gun shops used to carry stacks of the Winchester,Alliant and Hodgdon ones

Now the .401 Herters and .38 Super (Major) are exceptions in my world , but they were worked up with reloading manuals and a chrono .1 gr increment at a time logged, and duly noted... that is experimenting / R&D not just plucking a number off an internet post..

If I wanted to work with that Clays load you found,. I would consult a manual or 2 to see if it is within specs then back down the load a load 10 rounds per .1 gr. increase spreads and on a calm day at the range shoot and log the results.... your load for instance (once verified in a manual by the powder or bullet mfg.) I would load 10 of say 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 on up to max in the manuals.. the chrono and target will reveal what the firearm likes with a great group and most often consistent numbers..

Doing the above has allowed me many fine years (25 or so) of reloading and shooting,so far no trips to the ER for a KaBoom...

John

Edited by Amerflyer48

To be specific about some things you might find useful in a loading manual:

- Most manuals have some information about loading techniques and practices. This can be useful, especially for someone new to the hobby. A lot of this information is generally oriented towards single stage rather than progressive loading but still some of it can be educational.

- The manuals will often show a drawing of the cartridge will all of the critical dimensions. You might find this useful when setting up your press or checking your loaded rounds. You may be using a gauge but it still may be helpful at times to be able to take measurements of specific areas of the rounds and compare them to the drawing.

- Many manuals have some sort of a description of the cartridge. This may include a history, specifics about it's design or practical use, or even recommendations about specific bullets or powders that are recommended.

- The manufacturer's websites are great since the data is likely to be reliable and is free. However, it may be helpful to compare multiple sources of data for any number of reasons. For example, let's say you would like to load to a different overall length than shown on the manufacturer's website. It can be helpful to have another source of data showing a different COAL since this may give you some insight into how changing the COAL effects the pressure with that bullet and powder.

I guess I will buy a reloading manual then. :cheers:

The best one is the one your friend already bought, if he can find it. Invite him/her over for a movie and some quality relaoding time. Save the Beer and Margaritas for after the reloading.

My favorite is the Lee manual and that it because for $21.00 it came with a free single stage press, I don't recall seeing Berries or Cherries in there. Clays is like brylcreame a little dab is all you need, so maybe start a little under 3.5 just to be safe. I suggest loading some dummies first to try out the OAL its easy to get too long.

No fooling if you are shooting USPSA or IDPA one of your fellow shooters is a reloader and can help you get started. Simple as it is, it is still easier with a little guidance.

You just dropped hundreds of dollars on reloading stuff not including what your gun's worth....what's another $20 for a Lee Reloading Manual?

I could very easily say "no, you don't need one" based on the fact that you're only loading 1 caliber and your start grains look ok, but I would be doing you an injustice. Get one and you'll use it more than you think.

Do you need it to load a few rounds? No, but like everyone else said, you need to double check what you read on the internet with something in writing and you'll learn more than just powder charge from a good manual.

Anyone first starting out reloading should buy a really good reloading manual, then tear out all the pages containing load data, and read the rest of the book 3 or 4 times before starting. That said, most people with reloading manuals have seemingly never read them and just use them to pick out an occasional load to experiment with, or to argue a point with someone on the internet.

as was said before, you invested in a reloader, nott o mention the price ofthe firearm itself, do yourself a HUGE favor and get a reloading manual, also talk tothe people you shoot with, we are a chatty bunch and given the chance will talk guns and loads till the cows come home, seriously tho, if not for you, do it for the poor fool that happens to stand next to you as you touch off a 'suspect' round out of your gun and it comes apart, thus adding another black mark to shooters in general and reloaders in particular...information on reloading is your friend, soak up as much as you can, regarless of how many or few calibers you are loading for

So I bought Richard Lee's Modern Reloading and the Lyman reloading handbook. Started reading both. As I mentioned in the first post, there is nothing specific to the load that I want to do in them, but I am enjoying reading them and learning a lot. I appreciate everyone's opinion, and I do feel comforted by having the reference material next to the press as well :cheers:

All of the powder manufactures have there load data available online, you can do a google search and find detailed drawings and deminsions of every cartridge case known to man, all the current reloading equipment manufactures have there manuals available online, so I would say no, except the old manuals might help if you want to do some research during a power failure or if you need to prop a door open.

Larry

I have the current Lyman manual (#49) and I find the treatment of handgun loading interesting. It's completely single stage oriented with a lot of steps that I think many handgun shooters omit completely (like trimming case and cleaning primer pockets). There's nothing technically wrong with anything they have printed but I don't think it portrays an accurate picture of how the majority of handgun rounds are actually reloaded.

I finally drank the blue Kool-aid poured from the enos pitcher. I bought 1000 rounds of Berry 45 Cal (.452)round nose, cci large pistol primers, and a container of Clays. After reading a bunch of forum posts and the hodgdon site, I was going to start by loading 3.5 grs. with an OAL of 1.25. (I know this might not make major but I am nervous just starting to reload and all).

So the question - every post seems to talk about the importance of reloading manuals. If I have only one powder, bullet, caliber, etc - is there any other info that will be in a reloading manual that I need for now? I doubt I will be using anything else for a while and I am not sure if a manual has info for Berry's bullets anyway.

The first half of the lyman book is a must read for anyone learning to reload ammunition. Firstly, it will teach you the reloading language. Just like any specialized activity reloading has a language all its own. It will familiarize you with safe practices and different techniques for different situations. Do not kid yourself. You will end up loading more calibers once you experience the accuracy advantages of loading specifically for your firearm.

pandoras box slowly opens....

I have the current Lyman manual (#49) and I find the treatment of handgun loading interesting. It's completely single stage oriented with a lot of steps that I think many handgun shooters omit completely (like trimming case and cleaning primer pockets). There's nothing technically wrong with anything they have printed but I don't think it portrays an accurate picture of how the majority of handgun rounds are actually reloaded.

When l look at my 5 station press, I see 5 single stage presses. This is how I isolate problems in my head when there is a hang up while reloading like a berdan primes case or a hung up primer.

I would say that in today’s world you don’t need a manual, but nothing wrong with having them. To me the most important thing you need when reloading is a chrono, it is the only thing that will tell you what the bullet actually dose.

And good electric scale is well worth the money.

As far as working with a press, no where on the planet can you find better information on problems, do’s and don’ts on specific brands and models then in this forum.

All of the powder manufactures have there load data available online, you can do a google search and find detailed drawings and deminsions of every cartridge case known to man, all the current reloading equipment manufactures have there manuals available online, so I would say no, except the old manuals might help if you want to do some research during a power failure or if you need to prop a door open.

Larry

Let's say you make $25/hr. Imagine if you were to do all that online research and compile a notebook/binder with the info. Would it take you more than 1 hr? For $25 (cost of a reloading manual), Lee/Hornady/Lyman/and Sierra have already done that for you!!!

To each his own.....heck, some people lube their pistol cases!!! :goof: JMO

Edited by Erik S.

Larry

Let's say you make $25/hr. Imagine if you were to do all that online research and compile a notebook/binder with the info. Would it take you more than 1 hr? For $25 (cost of a reloading manual), Lee/Hornady/Lyman/and Sierra have already done that for you!!!

To each his own.....heck, some people lube their pistol cases!!! :goof: JMO

I dont load for every caliber listed in the manuals. Do you? If not that is just wasted paper. But whatever blows your skirt up. He was asking for opinions and I gave him mine. Use your book money to buy components or tools that like a chronograph, and get your load data for free.

Larry

P.S. You go right ahead and keep lubing your pistol cases and buying manuals if it makes you happy.

Edited by Larry Alexander

• 2 weeks later...