Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If I send someone a gun to work on, and send it UPS next day.. does it need to go to a FFL or can it go to him ?? When he's done can he just send it back to me , with out go thru a FFL..? My question is if it's my gun can I send it and get it back, with out using a FFL..........

You can ship it to someone in your state or an FFL in any state. If they are a gunsmith they should have an FFL.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-carrier

Be VERY VERY Careful,

In some states you can hand a pistol to another only if you remain with that person and only for a very limited time. Some states may not have this type of restriction. Check with your own state associations. Don't rely on the Internet, even the Enosverse for this. The life you spend behind bars could be your own.

If I send someone a gun to work on, and send it UPS next day.. does it need to go to a FFL or can it go to him ?? When he's done can he just send it back to me , with out go thru a FFL..? My question is if it's my gun can I send it and get it back, with out using a FFL..........

Most, if not all, established gunsmiths are FFLs or work for FFLs. You should be able to send directly to them, but UPS will require a copy of their FFL. They can return your gun directly to you via UPS or Fedex. None of that addresses any state requirements or restrictions.

Just personal experience, but I just sent a gun to Colt for repair. Ct to Ct. Fedex overnight as per colt instructions. I assume (oops) that they know ct law. Any other ( read different ) state members want to add their experiences with a recognized gun repair outfit? Might make a nice list to refer to.

I had a ffl fer a long time. Gave it up. Still work on single actions A LOT. No shipping, only local. Spoke to local atf in Cincinnati, not breaking any laws. I'll only work on guns that live in Ohio.

A handgun can be shipped directly to a licensee in another state via common carrier (Fedex or UPS, for example). Shipping a handgun through the postal service requires an FFL on both ends.

Any commercial gunsmithing requires a Type 001 FFL. Occasionally fixing a gun for a friend without any compensation would not be commercial gunsmithing. But if you are charging for gunsmithing services on any sort of regular basis, you better have a license! Plenty of people violate this law--but they do so at their own peril. I would not recommend relying on casual discussion with a local ATF agent--those guys are constantly cycling in an out of those positions and the next guy may have a completely different interpretation of how the law applies. Trust me--you do not want to mess with the Feds.

Undertaking to do gunsmithing work for other people is not something to take lightly. If you don't have an FFL, a suitable licensed premises, a limited liability business entity, appropriate business insurance, and plenty of inherent good judgment, do yourself a favor and limit your work to your own firearms.

Edited by Carmoney

When in doubt, go straight to the source:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-carrier

A non-licensee (that's you) can ship a firearm to a non-licensee within your own state, or a licensee (FFL) in another state.

And, the licensee can ship *your* gun back directly to you (does not have to come through an FFL in your state).

If it is a handgun, it canNOT go by US mail (only FFL-to-FFL can send handguns through the US mail). It must go UPS, Fedex, etc

If it is a long-gun, you can use US Mail or UPS/Fedex/etc. In practice, US Mail is cheaper but they are more of a hassle.

All of that is the Federal law. Your state may have additional requirements/limitations you have to be aware of.