Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Northern VA range needs help!

LittleLebowski

Silver Eagle Group in Ashburn is looking for someone to run their IDPA matches for them. I'm posting this for them as I was registered for a match there and now they cannot run matches due to a lack of personnel to run the match. Please let me know if you can help. I am certain they would be open to other shooting associations. Send me your ideas.

If you want indoor pistol competition in Northern Virginia, contact me or post in this thread. We have a range ready to go, just need the certified personnel to run the match.

What does certified personnel mean? I'm a certified SO through IDPA. Are you looking for an NRA cert'd instructor? I am not one. I don't live in Nova, but what can I do to help you get it off the ground?

PM me with the details of range availability(hours and days), number you can accomodate/expect, average classifcation of your participants, and a contact at SEG to discuss all of this with.

Edited by Forrest Halley

Have you talked to the folks who ran it before at SEG? There must be a reason.

I know the whole back story for the most part and am just interested in getting matches going again.

Here is the email I received from SEG (Silver Eagle Group).

In reference to Feb 16th matches-----

Thank you for your patience. I have been looking for a certified instructor to reschedule this match. As of yet, there has not been any certified volunteers to run this match. We are in the process of setting up a class for others to become certified. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

We are committed to rescheduling, but please reply to let me know if you would like us to refund or hold your slot for the next competition.

I remember when Ashburn wasn't there. I came home on leave from the Air Force and there was a new town. Good luck with the club. We started a new club from scratch. It still isn't a big club but we have several MA and EX shooters now. We just got a bunch of guys together that like to shoot. We contacted the AC and the local SO Instructor to get people certified and off we went.

I was curious why SEG wasnt running matches like the previous months. I shot there once, and continued to look for new matches there. The only thing was, the shoot was extremely short. I think total shooting time for three stages was around 30 secs... I dont mind paying money to shoot matches, but $20 for 30 secs of shooting?????? Make the shoots a little bigger and I'd be glad to pay the $20 and come there everytime there's a match.

Hope you guys get it up and running again.

I was curious why SEG wasnt running matches like the previous months. I shot there once, and continued to look for new matches there. The only thing was, the shoot was extremely short. I think total shooting time for three stages was around 30 secs... I dont mind paying money to shoot matches, but $20 for 30 secs of shooting?????? Make the shoots a little bigger and I'd be glad to pay the $20 and come there everytime there's a match.

Hope you guys get it up and running again.

A very valid point. I stopped shooting at an indoor match for that very reason. The people that are running the match aren't running it as a business venture treating the competitors as customers to satisfy. Many matches are killed because they do not provide enough value to the shooter. This particular one looks like it's going to be quite a diplomatic uphill climb with many hoops to navigate.

Having a match at a place that is a public shooting range is rough. Many owners feel they could be making more money without you. Some places have ridiculous range fees or want you to buy their ammo. They'll tell you twice as many people could be served in that time slot, but go in there and just count bodies....it's not happening. For some reason the only indoor matches I've been to that worked are the private clubs.

• 2 weeks later...

Silver Eagle started out pretty well. Great facility. A bunch of matches - IDPA, USPSA, even two-gun. Lots of enthusiastic shooters helping to set up and RO. Something like 40 shooters on match nights. Unfortunately, it seemed as though management didn't have a coherent business plan or at least one that saw a critical mass of competitive shooters as an asset. Nor did it seem that they were receptive to input from participants.

If there is new management there, they should decide whether hosting shooting matches is going to be an element of their business plan going forward and not just something to cancel when a more lucrative training program needs range space. If they do decide it is, then perhaps they should reach out to the guys that ran the matches before.

• 3 weeks later...

Refer to post five, tone down the attitude, and put a list of qualifications for the match director. I was willing to drive up there and help out a group of shooters, but got nothing constructive in reply. I'm not interested in the politics, but I am willing to help out to get a group of people enjoying a competitive shooting match. You don't sound like you really know what all is involved in putting on and running a match or series thereof. If you want my help it's there. :cheers:

As long as you have one person that is a certified S.O. that can bethe MD and club contact you can have a club as long as you have a range that's large enough to hold a classifier unless I'm missing something.

Greg

As long as you have one person that is a certified S.O. that can bethe MD and club contact you can have a club as long as you have a range that's large enough to hold a classifier unless I'm missing something.

Greg

Greg,

This is where you need to think outside the box a little. The things you talked about are IDPA requirements. Facilities can and often do impose additional requirements on the clubs to be able to hold matches. These things include liability insurance, NRA certifications, CPR and Medical training, etc. There are many hoops to manuever before and after the match. Hope this helps.

Forrest

I too am looking forward to matches there again!!! I have shot at their IDPA matches for the past couple of years. The previous MD (Jay) was always pleasant and the matches were enjoyable.

They'll tell you twice as many people could be served in that time slot, but go in there and just count bodies....it's not happening.

I got the same feedback from the SEG management, when I suggested they have 2 matches a month. As soon as registration opens, all slots are filled within a day or so! Certainly seems like the demand was there, SEG just needed to be willing to provide it.

Greg

Greg,

This is where you need to think outside the box a little. The things you talked about are IDPA requirements. Facilities can and often do impose additional requirements on the clubs to be able to hold matches. These things include liability insurance, NRA certifications, CPR and Medical training, etc. There are many hoops to manuever before and after the match. Hope this helps.

Forrest

Forrest,

Maybe I was mistaken, I thought the original question was that they were looking for someone to run the matches and that maybe the other things were in place.

I have been an SO for sometime and and have spent my time in the barrel as an MD for sometime as well so I have a basic understanding of whats involved but your post is appreciated.

Thanks, Greg

Forrest,

Maybe I was mistaken, I thought the original question was that they were looking for someone to run the matches and that maybe the other things were in place.

I have been an SO for sometime and and have spent my time in the barrel as an MD for sometime as well so I have a basic understanding of whats involved but your post is appreciated.

Thanks, Greg

Greg,

Not meant to be condecending at all. Never sure of what level of experience I'm dealing with and for the most part in IDPA those that do the most talking about matches good or bad are the ones who have yet to step up and help. I thought they had their ducks in a row and were looking for somebody to run matches also. Then I saw the portion of the email posted where they said they were setting up a class to get people certified and I got to thinking maybe they had some additional requirements. It did not sound like they were looking for an SO class, but for something more in depth, possibly to offset their liability. Finding an SOI should be really easy as the IDPA website lists them. If the participation levels and interest were there I am not opposed to entertaining other disciplines as well. I definitely like the idea for a restarted club to have the shooters commit in advance to the match somehow.

Regards,

Forrest

• 2 weeks later...

I have been contacted outside of this thread about the fact that there will be twice monthly IDPA matches at the Fairfax Rod and Gun club. Many thanks to the member that let me know about that. I look forward to meeting some of you and shooting with you there.

Silver Eagle ignored my attempts at contact. I will try one more phone call today.

Edited by LittleLebowski