Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magpul CTR not solid...

kamikaze1a

Wondering if you Magpul CTR users find that your stock locks up solid? I have the CTR and using my existing tube, I find that though this setup has less play than the RRA stock I had previously, I still feel some play when extended fully and locked.

Might I need a buffer tube from Magpul?

IFound mine didn't lock up 100% solid on the fifth or sixth (fully extended) positions...had a tiny, tiny bit of up/down play (on 2 different buffer tubes). Nothing to worry about though, I just figured that is how they are.

Thanks guys. I am quite sure I have the proper buffer tube and bought the CTR because my former RRA stock had more play than I cared for. According to the description, the CTR is supposed to lock up solid but I feel a small amount of play, more so when fully extended. While it is way more solid than the RRA, that small amount of play always bothered me... I just started shooting a new AR with a fixed stock and the play of the CTR is really starting to bug me. The only time I actually notice it is when working up loads shooting from a bench.

I was just wondering if a matching buffer tube would make a difference. Looks like it might or might not. Maybe a fixed stock would be the answer? After all, the only time I use it at less than fully extended is for storage or transporting...

If you really wanna try a different tube, get the VLTOR one. I works great for the CTR, and every other stock I've tried it on. I have a ctr thats been on about 4 or 5 rifles and it is perfect on some tubes, not so much on others, but then down at the bottom of the spare parts bin are some tubes that god knows who made, or that came off someones rifle I worked on, etc. Or like you said, just find a good old A1 stock and don't worry about it.

I LOVE my Ace ARFX stock. Foam is nice in all weather, and is super light. Tried switching to an A1, and went back to the Ace. Without the rubber butt pad, the Ace is A1 length, with, it is A2.