Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftermarket sight height

spook

Hi guys,

I did some searching around, but couldn't find this anywhere:

I have a G17 and I hate the sights. I want different sights. But..... I DO like my arredondo +4 IPSC box legal mag extentions. They fit the box with Glock factory sights.

Which cool aftermarket sights have the same height as Glock factory sights? I'm looking for something with a FS width of 0.090" (can be filed down methinks) and a 1.25" notch. Will Heinies do the trick?

You'd have to be pretty creative to file the Hienie's down to .090 inches.

The Hienie comes with a width of .125 inches. I took mine down to .115 inches. You can take the width down a bit more, but you are then getting into the mounting post and screw.

The height on mine is .215 inches. (as measured installed on the slide)

I don't have any stock sights to measure any more, and I don't recall the stock sight height.

You might want to get in touch with Dawson or Novak:

5. Available in three sizes: NOVAK- blade is .135" wide and .160" tall, and works best with the Glock factory rear sight or a Novak's rear sight; HEINIE- blade is .135" wide and .225" tall, and works best with a Heinie rear sight; BO-MAR- blade is .135" wide and .275" tall, and works best with a Bo-Mar rear sight.

That is fron Dawson's website, under fiber optic front sights...

http://www3.mailordercentral.com/shootings...item=9&mitem=18

I have a CGR race cut Heinie rear that is .250 high and a Dawson FO front that is .225 high and .105 wide. For some reason Dawson doesn't have the .105 width listed on their site, but they do have it. I really like this set up. I measured the stock adj. sights and the height is .160. Hope this helps.

Kyle,

You can always put an .090 step in a front sight --- leaving some meat at the bottom for the attachment point....

Right...that was my "creative" talk from above.

Nik, did you do your's like that? By hand/file?

Gotta camera? ( ;) )

That's what I did... turned the rear around, filed down the top of the front to raise POI, and used a black marker to make it look right.

I'm still waiting for an aftermarket thin, black front sight. Worst case scenario, I'll take a thin fiber optic if they make it short.

I've shot Heinies and there's something weird about them... the front sight is very tall, which is annoying and distracting while shooting at speed.

As noted, Dawson offers what they call the "Glock Optic Saver Set" combo of a Heinie Slant Pro rear and the .105" DP fiber front.

Just slightly taller than the stock sights, and the combo maintains the stock front/rear sight relationship.

It is not on the website, but they sell it.

And, here is the text that goes with...

Kyle,

To answer your earlier question, a local gunsmith did 'em on a mill for about $10 each. I've got a couple of spares in my parts kit. On both the 17 and the 34 I only see the skinny part of the front when the sights are level --- if I can see the step, I know why the plates aren't falling or why the no-shoots suddenly have holes in 'em...

Nik.

Very nice! Thanks Nik 'n Kyle. I suppose I could do the same and also deepen the notch and file down both the RS and FS to get them as tall/short as the factory configuration.

BTW Fiber Optics are out of the question so far, because I still haven't heard of Glock supplying them straight from the factory (which is still an IPSC requisite) :(

Novak's are the same height - or slightly lower - than factory Glock sights, offered IIRC in tritium, white dot and blank. They are lower than Heinies.

Not sure of the FS width but I think .125", it could certainly be thinned on the non-tritium flavor.

I thinned a set of Heinies down to .090" using a surface grinder. Kind of a pain even with a SG as you have to keep the wheel sharp and support the side you just ground with a shim when you grind the other side.

After all of the effort I decided I did not like the thin sight and went back to a fat fiber optic dot.

I thinned a set of Heinies down to .090" using a surface grinder. Kind of a pain even with a SG as you have to keep the wheel sharp and support the side you just ground with a shim when you grind the other side.

After all of the effort I decided I did not like the thin sight and went back to a fat fiber optic dot.

Do you still have the thinned one? I would like to try that out, but am grinderless.

Here's what I did for sights on my G23:

Put on a plain black MMC rear made for the Glock and a Dawson Precision Fiber Optical front made for the Novak rear. The front sight is .160 high. I opened up the MMC rear a little with a file and Dremel.

Looks like a small combat rear sight and it's adjustable. The front sight is very low.

I am after some general info about front sight height. I would like to use a fibre optic front sight, be it Dawson or Hiviz, the query I have, are they the same height as the original G34 sight? I am happy with the adjustable rear but do not want to go higher with the front, because I have read elsewhere that some front sights do not fit into some holsters. I am using a kydex made by Hellweg. If all else fails I will change both front and rear, but am hoping that they will fit into the Hellweg holster.

regards ghost1

Ghost, both of the Northpass/Hi-viz front sights are the same as the factory front - .160". I like the new overmolded model as the tubes tend to break in the original.

The new model comes in two dot diameters .150" and .100". They are available from www.brownells.com.

Goalie, I will check in my sight drawer. I may still have it.

I am using a bomar rear sight that was milled by caspion atthe factory as an option on my 24 the front is a dawson .090 witha .040 fiber

The heigth on the rear is around .265 and the front is .250

This set up took a little geting used to coming from the heinie but after I got used to it i found the sight picture very nice. I use a green fiber.

Johnnie