Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best training DVD's?

XDman

I am looking for a set of DVD's that would provide quality advice, training, set up and practice advice that also incorporates the newest rules for USPSA. Maybe geared to Production. Any suggestions?

Is there a training DVD similar to the above but covers 3-gun?

I have most of Burkett's DVDs, both of the 3GM dvds, and I once watched Ron Avery's series.

I think Ron Avery's might be the best. (I'd like to watch them again.) I don't think there's much about USPSA rules in it. 3GM has little bits of advice specifically for USPSA, so you'll pick up some tips regarding rules (eg, avoiding footfalls.)

Noveske's 3 Gun team has a DVD out, but I haven't watched it. At $25, the price is right.

Here's a review of it.

http://www.westernshooter.com/2011/02/3-gun-outlaw-by-noveske-shooting-team-dvd-review.html

For AR, Bennie Cooley's DVD is better than Burkett's AR DVD.

I wouldn't bother with the Magpul videos. They were a waste of time for me.

Edited by Leozinho

Have the following:

Burkett (all)

Cooley's rifle DVD

3GM (both)

Magpul (all carbine and rifle)

Jerry Michulek's carbine DVD

Also, recently Watched Saul's Masterclass 1, 2, and The Mental Game

None of the DVDs cover rules per se (with the exception of Burkett's IPDA DVD), although they are mentioned in passing. Best way to learn rules is to take a RO class (it'll make you a better shooter, for sure).

None of the DVDs specifically address production, although it is covered.

All of the DVDs have different styles and pros and cons. None of them are "bad".

You can get ALL of Burkett's DVDs in a package deal right now for $135. That is a killer deal.

http://www.predatortactical.com/DVDs-and-Books-c17/

After that, I would get Saul's Master Class 1 and 2.

I had ALL of the Burkett DVD's and I didn't learn a whole lot. I believe they are good for BRAND NEW shooters.

Other than that, the only thing I learned is the Matt shoots fast. There really isn't to much detailed instruction on how to improve your shooting.

You might want to look at Panteao Productions.

Edited by hankfan79

any video you can get your hands on are good videos....When I first started shooting, I watched all the supersquad videos, Burkett videos. Best thing you can do is learn by watching. Watching the supersquad shoot, you can see the various styles of shooting, footwork, strategies etc. Matt burkett's videos were good for the fundamentals and should be seen by everyone who shoots this sport, that wants to get better. But if you want free goto youtube there are plenty of videos to watch, "be weary of the mall ninjas"Lol

XDman - DEFINITELY take the class with Matt (or any top shooter).

In 2010 I took classes from Matt Burkett and Ben Stoeger. I've previously taken a class from Travis Tomassie.

I would take classes from them again in a heartbeat.

Classes teach you so much more than watching videos. You have a top GM looking at YOUR shooting, telling you how to improve YOUR shooting.

Well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's all been said already, but I'll voice my opinion anyway ;)

DAA's (www.doublealpha.biz) Theater is a great way to kill time. Saul's Master Class dvd's is great.

And besides the tutorial dvd's, there are Loads of match videos :)

I've also seen a couple of Burketts and they are also good.

I wouldn't bother with the Magpul videos. They were a waste of time for me.

The Magpul videos (the handgun ones, at least) are more for general/defensive use and are not competition-oriented really at all. Yes, a lot of what they show will apply (grip, reloads, etc.) but it isn't for that.

The Magpul videos (the handgun ones, at least) are more for general/defensive use and are not competition-oriented really at all. Yes, a lot of what they show will apply (grip, reloads, etc.) but it isn't for that.

I've only watched MagPul's "Art of the Dynamic Shotgun", but I found a lot of the general purpose information to be very applicable to 3 Gun. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a shotgun newb and I'm also new to 3 Gun, but I found the MagPul shotgun videos to be very beneficial.

One particularly useful area was combat reloading. Costa demonstrated his combat reload several times and gave a couple different explanations to help it sink in. Afterward, the 8-10 students walked through the process several times. It was incredibly helpful to see the students learning how to utilize the method, and see the instructors assist them in applying the method until they got it down. I'm not sure why, but seeing both the instructional portion and the student's learning process really helped drive the lesson home for me.

I like the burkett videos, but honestly the quality control didn't exactly impress me. Great information, but it can get hella boring. If your a visual learner, I really recommend any of the super squad dvds(which aren't instructional, but for visual learners its a great tool). I recommend any of Saul Kirsches training vids too!

Edited by BoldasLions