Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do these double belts work?

Browtine

Ok guys, this is probably a dump question, but here goes. I couldn't find the answer in a search.

Are these belts stiff enough to wear without running the inner belt through your belt loops? Is that the common way to do it or do you thread the inner belt through your belt loops and then the outer belt goes over the top?

Thanks for helping out a noob.

Don't feel bad. I showed up to my first match with the whole thing strapped outside my belt loops because I didn't know any better.

Brister still makes fun of me for it every time he sees me.

From the rule book:

5.2.3 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage

briefing, the belt carrying the holster, magazines,

speed loading devices, and all allied equipment for

the handgun must be worn at waist level. The belt

or the inner belt or both must be either securely

fixed at the waist, or secured with a minimum of

three belt loops

My question is:How do you "securely" fix it at the waist if not through the belt loops?

Edited by GrumpyOne

As others said, the inner goes through the loops, keeps your pants up. outer on top of it.

Generally, most people wear the inner like you normally wear a belt, the outer goes on backwards, ie: the ends cross over in the back. This way it keeps the ends from snagging on anything and coming off. Also, the belts should have come with a belt keeper (little velcro tab about 3" long x 1" wide). That goes around both belts where ever you have the ends of the outer. just a little loop to secure the end of the outer belt to the inner to prevent it from coming loose.

Sounds like you get the jist of it by now. I'll add to sinch the inner belt up real tight. You want everything rock solid on your waist.

As for putting the outer belt on so it overlaps in the back. If the belt is not too long and you are shooting production or SS then it is fine to overlap in front. For divisions where you can put gun and pouches farther forward on the belt then it needs to overlap in back.

You also want to look at what side the velcro is on. Some belts have the hook part (the rough part) on the inner belt, and some have the loop part (the softer part) on the inside.

I like the CR Speed belt because the loop part is on the inside belt, and doesn't snag on shirts, car seats, etc. The outer belt has the rough part. I start by placing the holster where I want it on my hip, and then work around tightening the belt from both ends so i get the same draw everytime.

Also, a little bit of opposite sided velcro on the back of mag pouches and holsters (between the inner and outer belt) help to keep everything securely in place.

Unrelated, but after loading up all my mags to full cap in all 6 mag pouches, i need velcro sided suspenders now too :wacko:

From the rule book:

5.2.3 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage

briefing, the belt carrying the holster, magazines,

speed loading devices, and all allied equipment for

the handgun must be worn at waist level. The belt

or the inner belt or both must be either securely

fixed at the waist, or secured with a minimum of

three belt loops

My question is:How do you "securely" fix it at the waist if not through the belt loops?

Grumpy,.. it may be a leftover from when they allowed loops to be lowered to the hips for the Lady shooters alleviating the "armpit draw" thus the or secured with a minimum of 3 loops part of the rule.. at the waist you would use the loops unless you build a set of "shooting britches" with no loops and just velcro...:unsure:

Pro-Pain,.. (loop on inner belt) thats how I built my belt back in 1990 since I didn't like the early designs and worked in a sail-loft and had access to lots of velcro and large sewing machines.

Edited by Amerflyer48

I start by placing the holster where I want it on my hip, and then work around tightening the belt from both ends so i get the same draw everytime.

That is a good way to do it. I prefer setting my belt up with exactly how I want it. Then I took a piece of electrical tape(black) and wrapped it around the outer belt exactly dead center of my belly, under the belly button (wow, can't believe i just typed "belly button" on a gun forum). That way when I go to put on the belt, I line up the tape with my belly button so the belt is in the same place every time. ( Picked that up from Chris Tilley at FL Open )

Also, a little bit of opposite sided velcro on the back of mag pouches and holsters (between the inner and outer belt) help to keep everything securely in place.

I just did the same thing recently. WOW, what a difference. Makes the whole left side a lot more secure. Running production with 4 mag pouches, it is a good idea.

I start by placing the holster where I want it on my hip, and then work around tightening the belt from both ends so i get the same draw everytime.

That is a good way to do it. I prefer setting my belt up with exactly how I want it. Then I took a piece of electrical tape(black) and wrapped it around the outer belt exactly dead center of my belly, under the belly button (wow, can't believe i just typed "belly button" on a gun forum). That way when I go to put on the belt, I line up the tape with my belly button so the belt is in the same place every time. ( Picked that up from Chris Tilley at FL Open )

I just did the same thing recently. WOW, what a difference. Makes the whole left side a lot more secure. Running production with 4 mag pouches, it is a good idea.

Great tips. I just got a double belt this week, and what a difference it makes. I had been just using a wide leather belt, but there is no comparison. I am going to get some additional velcro for mag pouches and stuff for sure. Thanks.