Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anatomy of a DQ

outerlimits

old adage-there are those who have DQ'd and there are those who WILL DQ. yep, true.

first stage, day 2 of superstition. simplest stage of the match. holstered hot pistol, shotgun in hand. shoot 6 clays, six poppers, dump shotgun, grab pistol and shoot 6 paper while applying pressure to dummy's chest. piece of cake. doing this for 25 years, 3 gun for about 20. i've abandoned pistols, rifles and shotguns enough to know it in my sleep. IAC, i shoot the first 3 clays and 3 poppers, shove in a stick, move over and finish the other 3 clays and poppers, engage the safety and head around the barrels to dump the shotgun. typical dump barrel with some plywood inside to hold the shotgun downrange. as i got to the barrel to dump the shotgun, my plant foot slips, i hit the muzzle against the plywood pice above the barrel and my shotgun comes out of my hand. was like slow-mo as i watched it head to the ground...couldn't grab it. E-6 and i'm done.

i'm sure i'll get over it but have played it back in my mind so many times i'm still sick. trip to dairy queen from a big match sux.

here's the vid-don't do this at home...

Glad you were not hurt. Live and learn man.

On a freezing day match, I came out of the holster to fast and threw my Glock like a lawn dart.

Very embarassing yet humbling.

Edited by hankfan79

Thanks for posting it - it's gonna happen to everyone and you just saved a few people somewhere from doing the same thing. :cheers:

I'm hoping my first plane ride to a match doesn't end up being an expensive sightseeing trip.

Thats my biggest fear, getting the Dairy Queen invitatation after taking my wife on an expensive plane trip to the CONUS. All big matches are expensive for me to get to since I live in the middle of the Pacific ocean :goof: :goof: :goof:

Haha, I should not have looked at this thread/sub-forum before what will be my first match on Thursday. My condolences to the OP.

For your first match I suggest not trying to push the movement stuff too hard and listen very carefully to the stage briefings and commands given by the RO. Speed will come in time; I think most of the DQ's I've seen with new shooters is related to movement like breaking the 180. Its a very uncomfortable feeling watching a guy with a loaded .45 heading right toward you with the muzzle at the high ready. Concentrate on shooting safely and everything else will fall into place eventually. Good luck