Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel1212's 1911 setups!

steel1212

I've been meaning to do this for awhile and never got around to it. I get questions weekly about this or that about my guns and I thought it would be a good idea to put it some place so here it goes.

IMG_2196.jpg

This is my Springfield Trophy Match in .40. Sadly they don't make them anymore. The only thing that is still stock on this is the slide, barrel, and frame. Why do I change everything you ask? Well its not because the parts I change are necessarily bad they just aren't what I like. I could buy a 3000$ open gun from STI and change most of the parts on it, I just know what I like. Anyway let me get to the parts list:

Dawson FO front sight .100 wide: Basically this is the only width that Dawson makes for the Springfield front cut. I actually like the .110 that they make for STI cut better as I can see the front sight a little more clearly.

Aftec Extractor: Ultimate reliability.

Briley Trigger kit: My gunsmith didn't like it but the kit has been pretty flawless and has held the 2.25 for around 10k + rounds

SVI trigger bow and long flat insert: Its light weight, looks good, and gives me options with the inserts

EGW Raised mag catch: For the .40 guns I think this is a mandatory part. It raises the magazine up just a bit and every little bit helps with the .40 guns. They aren't sold Drilled and Tapped so I had to have that done but they are worth the hassle.

Ed Brown mag release button: This is just a personal preference. It doesn't get in my way and is reachable for me.

Ti Hammer strut: This and the cap just reduces weight for the trigger pull as well as the guns overall weight

Ti MS cap: see above

TechWearUSA XT Techwell and G10 grips: I've tried all the 1911 magwells out there and this IS the best. Once mounted the magwell is solid, it doesn't rotate or wiggle. It gives a sold grip when mounting the gun, unlike the smaller magwells and it helps those reloads to boot!

Ed Brown wide single sided thumb safety: Single Sided safeties are less prone to breakage in my experience. I like the wide as I'm able to ride the safety with my thumb

Dawson Hyper Drive Extended firing pin: I've found this firing pin to set off those less than perfectly seated primers and I use them in all my guns that have the 38 super FP hole

14# recoil Spring: I've found that the 12.5 is just a touch to light for reliability for me so I use the 14#

17# Main Spring: Much lighter and I have light strikes but combined with the light weight Briley hammer the 17 works great

Tripp Research System mags with Hybrid .45 polymer followers: Some people call these the Corey .40 mags. I can't take all the credit. Virgil already had the system mags but we ended up trying the .45 followers with them and they work GREAT!

180 grain JD Bullets/BBI/Zeros. 1.180 OAL Titegroup with the JHP and solo 1000 with the molys and lead. This combo has also just worked out great for me. You can go longer but I've had no need to do so.

All this translates into a .40 Single Stack that cycles fast, has a 2.25 trigger that breaks clean and is reliable (when maintained).

IMG_2199.jpg

My 9mm Springfield Loaded model. This gun is setup just like my .40 with a few exceptions.

It has a Schumann barrel

It has a 9# recoil spring

I just use a Ed Brown mag release and button as the raised one didn't work well for me because of how stacked 10 rounds of 9mm are in the mags and combined that with a closed slide ended up being next to impossible to reload to.

The mags are still Tripp Research but they are just his 10 round mags with basepads.

The ammo I use for this gun is even more specific due to the problematic feeding that can arise using 10 round 9mm mags in a 1911. I use stricktly round nose 124 grain bullets. The reason I use round nose is it reduces the chance of any flat part of the bullet stopping on the feed ramp. I also load to about 1.170OAL as it will still fit in the tripp 9mm mags with spacers but the longer you load them the faster they contact the feed ramp and start their trip up into the chamber.

Occasionally I shoot a .45 but they are less problematic to run so I've not included it in my right up. Hope this helps anybody that is looking at these guns for competition or just fun. Feel free to post any questions but remember I'm not a gunsmith, I leave that to the pros! cheers.gif

Do you find the Schuemann barrel in the 9mm Loaded to be an improvement over the stock barrel that came with the 9mm Loaded? Elucidate.

Leaps and bounds. The barrel that was in mine was either shot out, I got it used, or just a crap barrel. The groups looked like a shotgun pattern no matter what I tried. Now they are nice and tight and your gun smith will appreciate you getting a Schueman to fit as they don't require a lot of work.

• 6 months later...

Corey... in your experience, do the 9mm 1911s need the "raised" (i.e. EGW) mag catch?

Would they benifit from one. Yeah. Wll you seat a magazine with one installed prob not.

It raises the mag to high and I had issues with the mag hitting the ejector

Edited by steel1212

Corey are the followers you use the one listed as L-HYB-45 on the Tripp Research Site? I just want to make sure I'm looking at the correct followers.

Yeah I think that is the one. Just make sure that you tell them it's for a .40

Very cool Corey! What powder are you using for the 9mm? And have you had issues with the 125's LCN?

LCN?

I use Titegroup with my jacketed rounds and Solo 1000 with my molys soon to be Bayou bullets.

Seems to be the general consensus! Thanks

what is the advantage of the 40 cal in single stack opposed to the 45acp? i thought your Trohpy Match guns were 45acp..

you just want to open a whole can of worms :roflol:

I like it because brass, bullets are cheap.

I love the recoil impulse of it.

I don't have to switch my reloader back and forth from small to large primers

I don't have to have a barney mag

But that is just me.

qoute:you just want to open a whole can of worms

well almost go away with it :sight::roflol:

no ,i just thought in the past you was using the 45acp in all of your Trophy Match guns...i can certainly understand the cost factor,and loader issue of only using one loader..it's a PITA to switch out primer feeds..

Edited by GmanCdp

When shooting major in both caliber's there's 1 plus for the 45 with big 230gr lead bullets they go so slow that the bore doesn't lead up but when I shoot my 40 with 170gr Colorado cast bullets I have to clean the lead out at about 1000 rnds not to big of a deal but I do like the fill and timing of the 40's recoil little better

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dood..

I ordered a cobra 10mm mag and the 45 follower..

The 45 follower I received does not fit the cobra mag.

Did you have to do any work to get those two to work?

Peace!

Yeah. Virgil or Aaron has to modify them to work. The follower has to have a spot relieved for the rib in the mag and the slide stop ledge has to be lowered.