Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Colt Rail Gun

skdmrklcy

Just picked up a new Colt Rail gun, and want to do some USPSA shooting at some point.

What do you all recommend for a shopping list of things to do to get started.

I was thinking of ordering a Dawson Precision NOGap Magwell, and some basepads. Should I look at something else instead? Not looking for anything I can't do at home just yet. I know a .45 is maybe not the best choice but oh well. I may trade a M&P 45 for a 9mm something down the road but for now I would rather use the 1911.

Some Pictures:

Whoops no Pictures.. can't post links.

Smith and Alexander magwell/msh are good quality, the novak and wilson mags come already with pads long enough to work with it.

Otherwise, I would say buy ammo. Shoot a bunch after a few month you will know what your needs are to further mod the gun.

I use Dawson's Gap magwell and basepads to very good effect. They are always top notch. Wilson or Chip mags are always on top of the list in 45. One thing to make sure of is you weight. Unless I am totally off base with it (I don't think so as my custom rail gun has the problem) the total wieght of the gun with an empty mag is 43oz. I am trying to figure the best way to shave 2oz off mine as it sets at 45oz with the Dawson magwell, FLGR, Bomar sights and Gunner grips. Just food for thought.

I am worried about weight but I need scale to check, all I can find online is 38oz which 41 seems more likely.

If I am over weight could I just shoot in limited 10? I am not going to score well anyway so at this point as long as I can shoot I am happy.

I am working on a production gun as well but I have to wait for my M&P to come back from smith, when it does I am going to see if I can sell or trade it for a 9mm. This is my backup plan if all else fails.

I know a .45 is maybe not the best choice but oh well.

If I am over weight could I just shoot in limited 10? I am not going to score well anyway so at this point as long as I can shoot I am happy.

Nothing wrong with shooting a .45...

Yes you could shoot L-10. You will need the "with gap" if you use Wilson 10 rounders.

But you can just change out the plastic insert to make it a "no" gap, when you are set up for S.S.

No need to go out and spend a lot of money at first...

Just go to a match...Be safe...Have fun...

Ask around, and check out everyones set-up.

Good Luck!

Just picked up a new Colt Rail gun, and want to do some USPSA shooting at some point.

What do you all recommend for a shopping list of things to do to get started.

holster & mag carrier (for single stack guns, I'd want at least four mag pouches, five wouldn't hurt). Bladetech makes good gear, but Uncle mikes might suffice on a budget

bunch of extra mags

huge shedload of ammo (for .45 acp, reloading will pay for itself very quickly)

• 4 weeks later...

What division would a rail gun be in? Probably wouldn't fit in the box for single stack.

railgun-2.jpg

:P

Mine fits in the USPSA box just fine with the S&A mag well. I did the trigger on it and it runs like a champ. That is until last monday night when the slide stop broke during a stage. No big deal in this match as it is informal and they just let me fix it and shoot again.

I am trying to figure the best way to shave 2oz off mine as it sets at 45oz with the Dawson magwell, FLGR, Bomar sights and Gunner grips.

I'm no expert but the FLGR is pretty cheap to replace with a GI setup as long as you don't have to change the bushing right?

What division would a rail gun be in? Probably wouldn't fit in the box for single stack.

railgun-2.jpg

:P

I'm glad someone else thought this too. I read Rail Gun in the VNC, wasn't sure what category, and had to click on it.

Railed 1911, still a nice grab, but I'm anxiously awaiting the OTHER Colt Rail Gun before I buy another 1911.

Seeing how I just replaced my S&A magwell/msh with the Dawson Ice (which also comes as a separate msh and magwell, but need to be used together) I will try and weigh them both, but I honestly didn't notice much of a difference in weight. The DP seemed a little lighter as the S&A has some heft to it.

Jesse, you will see the difference this weekend at the match, so you can kind of judge what you think.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Techwell must use their grips, right? Don't they have a proprietary "locking" of the grips/magwell together? Personally, I like the S&A and the DP since you can use whatever grips you want...for me, it was in conjunction with VZ Operator II grips...

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Techwell must use their grips, right? Don't they have a proprietary "locking" of the grips/magwell together?

I think if you give Chris a $50 he could figure out a dremel solution for you ;)

Wilson also has some that would be pretty easy to dremel out the back of your grips for.

188b.jpg

But I better stop talking before I head down to Scheels and buy the Colt O1970RG they have in stock. I must resist because I want to pickup one of their reproduction 70's series...