Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Shooter from SW Ohio

skdmrklcy

Looking to try some shooting sports out for some fun using my new 1911. I have been target shooting for a long time, and want to try some USPSA to make it more interesting. I am sure I didn't pick the easiest or cheapest platform but I am not going to win anyway, may as well have fun. I am going to try and join a local range that has Steel matches as well though I have no idea what they consist of.

I am currently trying to figure out what Magwell to get. I am leaning toward the NoGap Dawson ICE since I have to buy mags anyway.

Lots of great shooting around SW Ohio. :)

You could stop by and either just watch, or jump right in and join us in one of our weekly Monday night shooting matches in Miamisburg. Just North of Middletown / Franklin. We shoot every Monday night. Starts around 4pm and runs to around 8 or 9pm. Cost is $9 to shoot 3 stages, but I think new shooters are free for their first time.

We also have a Sunday match once a month (3rd Sunday) that is larger, and costs about $16~17. Starts at 10:00am and runs until about 2pm.

6300 S. Union Rd in Miamisburg, OH.

http://miamisburgsportsmensclub.org

=======================================================================================

Check into the USPSA beginners courses being offered at Miami Rifle and Pistol club in the Milford / Batavia area. They also hold a monthly match on Sundays (4th Sunday) that also starts at 10:00 am. They will also be holding an "all-classifier" match in April. They are having their regular monthly match this weekend.

5462 Stonelick-Williams Corner Rd. Batavia, OH

www.miamirifle-pistol.org

=======================================================================================

Also there is an IWLA league in Oxford, OH that has a monthly match (1st Sunday) of every month. They generally have a rifle or shotgun side match after the main pistol match. Cost is $15 for the pistol & another $5 if you want to shoot the long guns too. They also have IDPA matches on other weekends.

5703 Brown Rd. Oxford, OH

Oxford IWLA Club

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the 2011 Ohio State Championship being held at Miami Rifle later this Spring. The match is a 3 day pistol tournament consisting of 9 stages, and a minimum of 234 rounds. This is the 2nd year they have held this match there, so it should be a great time!

http://ohiochampionship.com/

Also welcome to the forum! This is a great place to learn & share. :cheers:

Edited by Chris Keen

I only knew about one of those places... Thanks a lot!

I am hoping they are slow people friendly, as I have never shot for speed or on the move before, everyone has to start some time I suppose.

Come on out this Sunday and give it a try.

I only knew about one of those places... Thanks a lot!

I am hoping they are slow people friendly, as I have never shot for speed or on the move before, everyone has to start some time I suppose.

Not only did we all start out somewhere ..... but often times we will actually encourage beginners to "walk" from shooting position to shooting position. Safety is paramount, and we'd rather see you get there safely, than in a dangerous hurry. :lol:

My pleasure. :)

And if you really feel adventuresome .... Pickaway County Sportsmen is a club in Circleville, OH that has some of the best matches around. For about the same price, and not too far to drive, you can shoot 5 stages of varying degrees of difficulty, and hang out with some of the greatest people SW Ohio has to offer! B)

They shoot USPSA on the 1st Saturday of every month, which means they have a match coming up soon. They also shoot some other disciplines on other weekend days, see the link for more information.

Wow, I didn't think this area would be all that great...looks like I was more than wrong. Thanks for all the info and invites guys! I can't wait to get out and get started. I need to order a few more things (Holster and Mags) then I will at least have the basics.

You could stop by and either just watch, or jump right in and join us in one of our weekly Monday night shooting matches in Miamisburg. Just North of Middletown / Franklin. We shoot every Monday night. Starts around 4pm and runs to around 8 or 9pm. Cost is $9 to shoot 3 stages, but I think new shooters are free for their first time.

6300 S. Union Rd in Miamisburg, OH.

http://miamisburgsportsmensclub.org

Unfortunately, new shooters are no longer free their first time.

I figured the 1911 was not the best idea, today I was able to get a M&P Pro 9 to get started. Ordered a Holster and some Mag Carriers, as well as 3 More Mags. I am going to miss the match this weekend but will be ready to go next time!

I have a fat man that needs a belt question...

Does one have to wear there belt/holster around the stomach or if so blessed is under the gut ok?

If this is a dumb question please forgive. I needed a new one for carry anyway.

I will also ask here as there appear to be a lot of locals.. I am looking for a ccw class with an instructor with a private range or at least one that isn't targetworld that would be good for my wife and I. I have had my CCW in the past and let it lapse as I was planning to retake the course with my wife and it just has never happened.

I have a fat man that needs a belt question...

Does one have to wear there belt/holster around the stomach or if so blessed is under the gut ok?

If this is a dumb question please forgive. I needed a new one for carry anyway.

I will also ask here as there appear to be a lot of locals.. I am looking for a ccw class with an instructor with a private range or at least one that isn't targetworld that would be good for my wife and I. I have had my CCW in the past and let it lapse as I was planning to retake the course with my wife and it just has never happened.

skdmrklcy,

According to rule 5.2.3 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, the belt carrying the holster and all allied equipment must be worn at waist level. The belt or the inner belt or both must be either securely fixed at the waist, or secured with a minimum of three belt loops.

I am so blessed with a beer processing facility and I found a competition belt (inner velcro belt that goes through the belt loops and an outer belt that has the opposite velcro on the belt.)

If you are looking for a decent belt for CCW you could try the Beltman or something closer to home Executive Leather Gear. I have order twice in the last 2 months from Executive Leather Gear and had no problems. They are good Amish made leather belts.

PM inbound on CCW class.

-Andy

Edited by adively

• 4 months later...

Looking to try some shooting sports out for some fun using my new 1911. I have been target shooting for a long time, and want to try some USPSA to make it more interesting. I am sure I didn't pick the easiest or cheapest platform but I am not going to win anyway, may as well have fun. I am going to try and join a local range that has Steel matches as well though I have no idea what they consist of.

I am currently trying to figure out what Magwell to get. I am leaning toward the NoGap Dawson ICE since I have to buy mags anyway.

Welcome to the forum... B)