Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gen 4 17 glock issues

t_kothmann

OK guys try to bear with me here.

bought a gen 4 17 b/c I'm left handed and thought the mag release on the right side would be awesome.

I also bought it to shoot my ti-rant 9.

so I put about 150 rounds through it and had a couple of short strokes. at first i thought, ehh new pistol should be expected. Then i got my lone wolf threaded barrel and had some more short stroke issues. so i thought I'd look into it and low and behold glock is issuing new springs. Called glock and they sent me a spring marked 02. Although less often, I'm Still having short stroke issues. Called Glock and they said that they would look at it but I'd have to send it in. Really getting frustrated here. I only have about 800 rounds through this gun but i bet I have had 5 failures, and my wife has had 5 too. This gun only gets used in idpa and at the ranch (suppressed) so is it worth messing with or should i just shut up and shoot it.

my glock 22 has gone 3k with out a single hicup

what to do?

I had a problematic Gen 4 G17 as well. There are others who have had the same problems. I got fed up with it, sold it, and went back to a Gen 3. I have seen some reports that it may not be the recoil spring but an extractor issue. There are rumors of a bad batch of extractors going around. I hadn't heard about that until after I had already sold off my Gen 4, but I'd try replacing the extractor assembly and see if that helps any.

If I was building a dedicated range gun on a gen4 I would go with a steel Jager rod with ISMI springs and be done with it. In fact as soon as the seller I want to buy from gets them back in stock that's what I'm gonna do.

I had a problematic Gen 4 G17 as well. There are others who have had the same problems. I got fed up with it, sold it, and went back to a Gen 3. I have seen some reports that it may not be the recoil spring but an extractor issue. There are rumors of a bad batch of extractors going around. I hadn't heard about that until after I had already sold off my Gen 4, but I'd try replacing the extractor assembly and see if that helps any.

That's funny you said that, last time a buddy and i were shooting he said that he thought the brass was ejecting forward almost. I can't actually remember where he said it was going but i remember him complaining about the trajectory of the brass. (he complains a lot so i usually ignore the details)

If I was building a dedicated range gun on a gen4 I would go with a steel Jager rod with ISMI springs and be done with it. In fact as soon as the seller I want to buy from gets them back in stock that's what I'm gonna do.

are those springs similar to the dual recoil springs found on the gen 4 or is it a single spring like the gen 3 ?

My G17 gen 4 has had numerous FTF even with the 02-1 spring. If you ship it to Glock, be prepared for 6-8 weeks turn time. They rec'd my G17 on 3/4 and as of today it was going to be at least another 3 weeks before they could look at it.

Ahgggg. That's exactly why it's still in the safe. Yeah when he told me just send it in there was a tone in voice like he knew he just ended the conversation. I guess I'll just keep shooting it till it straitens out. How many rounds do you have through yours? I'm just afraid I'll send it in for 3 months then they'll call me and say "well we shot 100 rounds through it and couldn't get a malfunction out of it and where sending it back to you. "

send it in? On who's dime? that is one thing I dislike about Glock compared to SW and a few other companies is that they don't pay for shipping on problem guns.

You need to shoot FULL POWER loads through the G17 Gen 4 for it to work correctly.

I can't remember where I saw it (and I'm not going to go surfing for it while at work), but someone makes an aftermarket double or coupled spring design for the Gen 4 in a lighter weight spring. It was only like $30 and change. I thought about getting one but just upped my load a bit to make sure the rounds were ejecting enough. I don't have a chrono, so proper ejection on a factory spring should get me a load fast enough to meet minor. B)

Single spring that fits better than the flimsy factory dual. I bought one and tested it in a Gen 4 22 and love it. It's going in the 17 as soon as I get it.

are those springs similar to the dual recoil springs found on the gen 4 or is it a single spring like the gen 3 ?

I bought a 15 # since I am new to nonGlock springs, but I am going to use the same one.

Duty gun doing double duty for comp on the 22s part which won't be necessary once I get the 17.

The guide rod is the same for both guns and the spring is lighter than either factory assembly.

Edited by Calmwater

well thats something to think about. i had read that the reason these were having problems in the first place is bc the same dual spring were being used in the 22 and 17. The result/problems were an "oversprung" 17. From what im reading above is that you are going to use the same spring for your 22/17.

OK guys try to bear with me here.

bought a gen 4 17 b/c I'm left handed and thought the mag release on the right side would be awesome.

Hey, you and me both. And this part:

so I put about 150 rounds through it and had a couple of short strokes. at first i thought, ehh new pistol should be expected. Then i got my lone wolf threaded barrel and had some more short stroke issues. so i thought I'd look into it and low and behold glock is issuing new springs. Called glock and they sent me a spring marked 02. Although less often, I'm Still having short stroke issues. Called Glock and they said that they would look at it but I'd have to send it in. Really getting frustrated here. I only have about 800 rounds through this gun but i bet I have had 5 failures, and my wife has had 5 too. This gun only gets used in idpa and at the ranch (suppressed) so is it worth messing with or should i just shut up and shoot it.

my glock 22 has gone 3k with out a single hicup

what to do?

...is a problem that several of us are having. I didn't know about the Jager, but the Glockmeister rods are currently backordered (and apparently have been for at least a week...).

However, it might not just be the spring. Link.. If you've got a spare (older) extractor sitting around, you might try it.

To the OP, or anyone who's having problems with the Gen 4, I'd be glad to ship you our Gen 4 guide rod with a 15# or 13# spring to see if it corrects your problems.

Please, report to me your problem first - this would be an attempt to clear up failures.

Anyone?

To the OP, or anyone who's having problems with the Gen 4, I'd be glad to ship you our Gen 4 guide rod with a 15# or 13# spring to see if it corrects your problems.

Please, report to me your problem first - this would be an attempt to clear up failures.

Anyone?

That, my friends, is why my G34 has Jager Products parts in it!

WG

Ps, what are you doing for the Gen 3 G26's, if anything?

We've got four fantastic Gen 4 9mms here but way too many are having problems. The state of the art of current troubleshooting Gen 4s is to try and swap out the extractor for something pre-2010 if you have one or can access one or even swap out like for like. A lot of guys leading the troubleshooting are focusing here. And as in the case of Todd Green's long term test gun, seem to have some success with this. You also have some options like Jaeger and alternate factory RSAs to swap out. Try to only change one thing at a time however. ;)

I've owned 2 of the Gen4's (see screen name), sold them both over time. I replaced both dual recoil assy's to a Glockmeister SS captured guiderod and threw away that dual recoil POS, but if you limp wrist the gun... they jam everytime and I have no clue why. Wife would jam every shot every time...

I'm down to one Glock from 5, only one I kept is my 19 gen 3 for ccw and never had a problem with it.

I'm liking the 1911 and CZ all steel frame guns much much better.

Anyone?

I avoided aftermarket Glock parts like the plague until I tried the steel Jager rod in my Gen 4. I said it before and I will say it again, this is the guide rod spring setup Glock should have put in the gun in the first place. I got my delivery from Jager in the time some people take to send out a confirmation email.

So, I have a Gen 3, G26, it has the dual spring thingie, and has not failed once. It shoots right side up, upside down, horizontally either diretion, strong handed, weak handed...It just shoots!

What is the difference between the dual recoil spring on the 3rd Gen. G26 and the one on the Gen.4 other than length? Very interesting discussion. Glock really just needs to ship us, current enos forum members, all a few guns for testing and evaluation.. :cheers:

I apologize, that was a bit off topic.

Anyway, someone please explain how the extractor could cause a short stroke? (serious question, I believe you, but would like to hear the theory) Does it not release the brass quick enough? Does it not allow the brass to move up onto the ramp?

You said the brass was kicking out in a funny direction... Could it actually be the ejector is bent or sometimes binding? Any wear there? Did you do any trigger work? Did you swap anything that may have affected those two areas? I am just very curious to see any possible reason the gun would short stroke, occasionally, and not more frequently.

Does your brass have any odd looking marks or scratches, dents in the head, anything that looks odd or out of place????

WG

Edited by Wild Gene

I bought my daughter a Gen 4 G-17 last Christmas. She is a junior shooter, and her gun would choke on any ammo. I called Glock and they shipped me the 02 with the 1 under the 02 recoil spring. The gun still choked. I did a lot of research on this gun, this is not an isolated issue with this gun.

I finally bought the Glockmeister SS captured guide rod the 13# spring and installed it. We took the gun out and tested with WWB, reloads, and full power ammo. The gun digested anything we gave it. I do not believe it is an extractor issue, I think the Glock recoil spring is too strong to cycle, and the slide is lightened some, because of the larger hole for the recoil spring.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on my warrenty post above:

Glock finally sent my G17 gen 4 back- it took 7 weeks. I was having FTF (feed) problems, presumably due to the stiff recoil spring.

No explanation- packing slip shows that they installed a bunch of trigger parts, connector, safety plunger, trigger spring, and interestingly a new trigger assembly. The trigger assembly that they put in was the old style gen 3 without the bump on the side of the trigger bar that activates the safety plunger. I already had a couple of the 02-1 springs sent to me by Glock prior to the above work.

- Test fired a mag of winchester 9mm nato 124gr.- no problems

- test fired a mag of atlanta arms 147gr sub sonic - slide did not go to slide lock after last round was fired. Again indication that the recoil spring is too stiff and not letting the slide cycle properly.

- First stage in an IDPA event- Win 124gr nato -first mag has a FTF on round #7. Tapped the bottom of the mag and it and it goes into battery. Had another FTF on 1st mag on the next stage. changed ammo to atlanta arms 147 grain and no FTF's but had an instance where the slide didn't go to slide lock on last round in the mag.

All of this is very, very frustrating. Through many conversations with Glock, the 02-1 spring is all that they are offering and the original heavier unmarked spring is discontinued. So I am convinced that the recoil spring is just too stiff and am going to buy the Glockworx reducing bushing: http://www.glockworx.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156838&CAT=3697

Which will allow me to use the gen 3 recoil spring assembly and/or an uncaptured guide rod with a reduced spring weight.

Anyone use this reducing bushing?

What is the weight of the gen 4 recoil spring assembly ? I think it is 19# and the gen 3 was 17#?