Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian Hi-Cap Owners out there?

Nemo

I'm headed down the road of an opportunity build on a Caspian hi-cap frame. I've never owned one and would like to hear from someone "in the know". What would you like to share?

I also inquired with VZ grips to see if they'd be interested in making grips for the Caspian Hi-Cap and they replied that they are too busy to build one-of's. So... If more Caspian owners ask for grips they may budge and start making them. E-mail john AT vzgrips DOT com and tell him you'd like VZ's for your Caspian hicap.

B)

I have had a couple Caspian guns - a 9x21 Open gun, and a .40 Limited gun. Open gun ran great.

Limited gun would not run on the Promag converted mags. Finally got the new Caspian hicap .40 mags and they were an improvement, but were a challenge to get tuned 100%. The mags were hard to load to capacity, and I got nose diving quite a bit, regardless of follower/spring combo. (I guess I needed to use more silicon lube? after reading a thread here yesterday!)

Love the way the gun felt, though.

Aftermarket grips - most guys use just grip tape on their Caspian widebodies, but I have seen a few people run panel grips (TT). Can't help but think demand would be very limited, but if they were very thin, you might get some buyers.

Bottom line: I like Caspian ergonomics, not am fond of their mags in .40 cal. If I had the mag situation figured out to be less effort than tuning STI mags, I'd shoot a Caspian.

I'm about 90% through building a Caspian .40 limited gun. I'll be interested to hear your experiences.

There is a good thread on the forum regarding getting the .40 mags to run.

I'm thinking about making my own grips for the Caspian. If I do, I'll let you know.

I just recently purchased a Caspian open gun and really like it so far. I also contacted VZ grips about Caspian grips and they told me they have no interest in making any grips for Caspian at this time. Monkey grips said they would make some G-10 grips for Caspian, you could contact them.

I find that the gun feels great with just the skate tape grips over the bare frame.

Mine sat unused in a safe for about two years before I went back to it and started lubing the mags with silicone like sfinney said. I've shot 3 matches and probably 800 rounds in the last three weeks with no more nosedives.

I find that the gun feels great with just the skate tape grips over the bare frame.

Mine sat unused in a safe for about two years before I went back to it and started lubing the mags with silicone like sfinney said. I've shot 3 matches and probably 800 rounds in the last three weeks with no more nosedives.

really wish I had held on to my Caspian .40 now :angry2: oh, well, I never been one for much patience. :blush:

I don't know squat about the limited guns

but I've been running caspian open guns for 18 years

I tried using just the skateboard tape grips and didn't like it, I couldn't get a consistent grip on the draw due to the flatness of the "grips" left a hollow area in my palm.

I tried the hogue grips and they were too thin, not hand filling

I love the contoured grips navridex makes for the caspian, thin where it needs to be, and with a hand filling palm swell in the right place, looking at the pictures of TT's guns, it appears he uses the same grips. and now that I got you thinking about them, good luck finding any. I haven't seen any for sale in over 10 years, and the last set I got was thru a group buy that was made directly with navridex years ago.

caspian is finally grips for their frames, but I can't tell from the picture if t is a flat slab like the hogue's or contoured like the navridex

and alumgrips is selling caspian grips, but again I can't tell from the pics how their shaped.

and the last set I got was thru a group buy that was made directly with navridex years ago.

Yeah, I think that may have been the group buy I did a long time ago. I didn't like them and ended up selling mine. I run skateboard tape and like it (I have small hands).

I run a Caspian in Limited. I don't have any problems with the Caspian mags until they get old and at that point the feed lips widen and that mag becomes junk. I have to replace the Caspian mag springs often because they wear quick. No lube in my mags, but from that other thread on here I may try it with my mags with the wide feed lips (I experience nose dives with those old mags). I like the way the Caspians handle, but I do worry about mag availability if more legislation is put through...

:surprise:

Im very partial to Caspians :bow: ,I shoot a 40 Limited gun that is the older style frame which I prefer.

I use the caspian tape grip, its has a metal support in the grip and I really like them.

My open gun is 9 super comp I also run Caspians grip tape on it.I have built and shot most of th e other limited and open

guns and I just seem to have better luck with Caspians.

And the folks at Caspian are sure good to work with.

Jim/Pa

Sailors :D