Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

stupid question

I shot an IDPA match at a different range this weekend and no one on my squad would step up and handle the score sheets, so even though I have only shot about 5 matches I stepped up and kept score. My question is are there additional responsibilites that go along with keeping score? It's pretty easy to just keep score but I don't feel like I am qualified to be an S.O. and I don't even know what is expected of one.

This squad was run very loosely, people looked at me like I had 2 heads when I asked them to initial their score sheets after every stage. I pointed out a few blatent P.E.'s to the R.O. and he acknowledged them but said, "I'm not a hard a$$" Don't get me wrong, I had a great time and I am not bitching well not much any way...

That's pretty sorry if everyone refuses to pitch in.

Kudos to you for taking charge, though.

Normally, at local match level, signing the score sheets is not necessary and never done.

I can only speak for USPSA, never having shot IDPA but I reckon it's similar.

The RO watches safety violation on the shooter's strong side, being able to focus on the muzzle, trigger finger, and the shooter in general.

The scorekeeper watches the offside, which helps if the shooter moves e.g. the gun hand into a blindspot for the shooter, basically when the shooter positions himself between the gun and the RO.

Scorekeeper can observe that targets are engaged properly and that no range malfunction occur that the RO may not notice due to his eyes being on the gun.

We had a steel stage a week ago where the scorekeeper was essential in

1) watching the muzzle for 180 violation on the shooter's offside,

2) making all sure steel was engaged (RO could never see a complete array because of dividing walls in his view)

3) yelling STOP! whenever a steel would be blown over by the gusty wind (again, the walls prohibited the RO from seeing parts of the stage).

As a scorekeeper in USPSA, you can stop the shooter for a safety violation just like the guy with the timer. You may want to check but I'd almost bet a bottle of hotsauce that in IDPA it's the same.

Edited by Team Amish 1

When two experienced SO's are running a shooter, it is a team effort and instructive to watch. The SO running the timer is primarily watching the shooter's muzzle and finger. His primary job is to keep the shooter and spectators safe while keeping the shooters time. The scorekeeper is watching for cover violations, proper reloads, correct number of shots, and generally making sure the shooter follows the course description. He is responsible for getting the shooters time and marking the scored targets and any penalties in the proper places on the score sheet. Unfortunately, there are not usually enough experienced SO's available at local matches. So then, they just pick someone from the crowd to hold the clip board and write down what the SO tells them. Thanks for volunteering and when you feel confidant, look for an SO class, we need you. Bill

I have only had one problem like this at a indoor range in where nobody was helping out pasting between strings, it was kind of aggerevating, it was not a uspsa or idpa match it was labeled as a self defensive match. basically it was a mix between the two, havent been back since. Every other match i have been to everybody helps out with scoring and pasting. Recently at my local range the match director put out at the last shooters brief, If you are not helping out with pasting or target reset you will be giving a warning first then second time asked to leave, except if you are on deck or in the hole. It is almost a fight over pasters after a stage is shot and with stage clean up also, makes everything run like a well oiled machine. :sight:

Hats off to you for stepping up. The other shooters should be ashamed for what they did (or didn't do). My wife hasn't shot in years, but has a pretty good grasp of the rules. She has helped out at just about every match that I shoot. Even if WE are not official match staff, she's out there taping targets and setting steel while other shooters sit back and do nothing (sorry guys, I think I'm gonna keep her ;) ).

Next time try to squad up with a different group of shooters. They will see you helping out again and help guide you through it. If you have any questions about what is expected, just ask. Your help and willingness to learn will be greatly appreciated by all!

I found that the fastest way to getting accepted is by helping out.

I'm brand new at this, and i met new friends, got some good pointers - just because i helped out.

It is too bad that some people don't help out.

What goes around comes around....

I shot the Gator classic in Thibodaux this past year. I was a brand new shooter and had only shot three USPSA matches and I was scared to death. Squad 13 had some really good shooters that all pitched in an helped, and made a novice compeitor feel really welcome. It was almost like they were competing to see who could paste the most targets and set the steel the fastest. My local range matches are a different matter. The same three or four guys seem to do all of the set up and tear downs, scoring and pasting.

• 2 weeks later...

I applaud your efforts, good job!! After you've shot someplace awhile you'll get the vibe and develop a cadre of friends/squadmates that you'll rely on.

I've shot USPSA about 7 years, the norm for me is "great people". Maybe, just maybe, once or twice I've seen people like you describe, it's just not the norm here in Indiana.