Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upside Down and Sideways Primers

I have a 650XL and I have made several thousand rounds with it. But I have started having issues with my 45ACP rounds. The primers end up going in upside down or sideways. The sideways ones end up getting crushed in the pocket. During my last batch I have 8 out of 500 that were wrong.

I am using Federal primers in new Starline brass.

Can anyone point me to a possible solution?

Thanks!!!

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Springthorpe

Hi here are a few things to have a look at have you made the shellplate to tight this sometimes slows down the indexing and brings the slot in the shellplate too close to the primers causing them to flip.

Have you had a jam that may have caused the timing to have moved Dillon have a tool that they will send you for free to set your primer/shellplate alignment.

The only other thing that springs to mind right now could be that your retaining tab that holds the case in place could also be out of adjustment.

Just a few thoughts that I hope will help

Recently my 550b was seating primers sideways. A knowledgeable and experienced reloader suggested that the plunger, which actually seats the primer, was off-center and was contacting the side of the channel in which it moves, thereby applying uneven force to once side of the primer and turning it just prior to its being seated.

He was absolutely right. When I readjusted the set screw on the primer mechanism, this allowed the plunger to ascend freely and the problem was resolved. I hope your solution is as simple as this. Best wishes.

Make sure that you are using the proper size primer slide. I had the same problem because I forgot to change the large primer slide to the small primer slide. Doesn't look too different when eye balling it, but sure made a difference.

Edited by Mike Morcillo

650 Rotary Priming System Adjustment Notes

• Periodically (every 10,000 rounds or whenever you change primer size) lube the Axel Pin (in the middle of the primer disc) with grease.
  • Make sure the primer seating punch / bushing assembly is threaded all the way up into the platform. The top of the bushing should be flush with the platform.
  • The primer seating punch should be between flush with the top of the bushing to .020" below the top. There's no adjustment, it would be out of spec because of a collapsed spring or it's dirty.
  • Clean the interior of the primer magazine tube periodically. (Small cleaning patch with alcohol.)
  • If the disc doesn't rotate full travel (the primer hole in the disc isn't lined up with the primer seating punch) there are 3 possible causes:
    1. Short stroke on the handle is the most likely.
    2. Either wear to the primer cam, or the primer index arm is damaged.
    3. If the primer index arm fails to return, either the srping is damaged or the arm is bent.

[*]If an unused primer doesn't fall out of the primer disc, that can be a problem. Polish each end of each primer hole with a tapered cratex wheel/Dremel Tool.

Forum thread on 650 priming:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=68532

be

• 1 month later...

I've been having the same issue with a "new to me" 650 in .223. And it's been with uncrimped brass. I need to try the alignment tool they sent me. I had smeared primers on my other 650 set up for .40 and this tool fixed that.

I currently have my 650 set up for 45 ACP, which runs perfect. I've been having problems with primer seating with 223. Some primers are sideways or I have to move or rotate the case slightly at station 2 to seat the primer. It seems that many times one side of the primer will start first. I guess I have to get my 45s loaded up so I can see if I can solve my 223 primer problems! ;)