Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure to tape is an FTDR?

GForceLizard

All in all, at the end of the day, I love shooting IDPA so much, I'd probably put up with more. I'm shooting a local match tomorrow morning and can't wait! We have 6 stages. Stage 5 has 3 strings, and stage six is a bug stage with 3 strings. Lots-0-shootin goin' on tomorrow!!!

Edited by whatsupglock

The general attitude of this match is why USPSA shooters badmouth IDPA. Thankfully none of the IDPA matches I've attended throughout the northeast have any of this kind of attitude.

The procedural for messing up the stickers isn't unreasonable, IMO, but most of the rest is ridiculous. The 1st offense FTDR, 2nd offense DQ for airgunning or sight pictures directly contravenes the rulebook.

I don't recall shooting in a sanctioned match or a "big" match where they let the shooters approach and paste targets. There has always been range staff to do that. I'm not complaining, just stating past experiences. I also haven't shot many sanctioned matches.

As I said before, I am 100% for shooter participation. It really does help everything move along more smoothly and quickly if everyone is on board and helping.

I don't recall shooting in a sanctioned match or a "big" match where they let the shooters approach and paste targets. There has always been range staff to do that. I'm not complaining, just stating past experiences. I also haven't shot many sanctioned matches.

As I said before, I am 100% for shooter participation. It really does help everything move along more smoothly and quickly if everyone is on board and helping.

I guess you haven't.

I've ROed the Golden Bullet as well as worked IDPA matches.

For some reason, I was squadded with Taran Butler, John Flentz, and Barry Dueck at the California IDPA state match one year (guess a super squad needs a class dummy for some comic relief :rolleyes:).

Those USPSA GMs were the most courteous to all the SOs and were always helpful with taping. Not a prima donna amongst them.

Again, from IDPA Nationals' match book:

tape.png

Ive not been to any match except Bianchi where people werent expected to paste and set steel.

Failure to tape will be an FTDR if it is failure at stage after stage... As it was at the first Tulsa Nationals and yes it was assessed and stuck . Failure to tape is UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT. It is not going to be a problem, and the warning should only be offensive to those that have never worked a match and are not good at applying tape. But if there is no warning then....

I've worked big matches, and I paste as much as is necessary to keep the squad moving along. And I found that warning highly offensive. There is no reason to threaten people before they actually sign up / commit to the match. Jeeshe .... at least wait until they have paid their money to threaten them. :lol: But why not let the warning be given to those who deserve it, WHEN they deserve it.

Sticker penalty is to provide stat shack with the proper tools they need to do their job right.

There are other ways to correct this without penalizing the possibly ignorant. I personally dislike when I have to put "stage appropriate stickers" on a score-sheet that already has the stage name / number on it. Seems contradictory to me. But if each stage has a different number of rounds required (i.e. 16 on stage #1, 18 on stage #2, etc.) then it's virtually impossible to get the scores on the wrong sheet.

Airgunning is not allowed . Period.

Understood ..... but a DQ? Doesn't sound like the punishment fits the crime here.

Edited by Duane Thomas

But if each stage has a different number of rounds required (i.e. 16 on stage #1, 18 on stage #2, etc.) then it's virtually impossible to get the scores on the wrong sheet.

Nearly impossible to have a differrent round count for each stage especially with big matches that consist of 12 or more stages.

Pasting is required but I dare a SO to give me a FTDR because I have been in 98 degree weather(with a vest) all day and I would like to sit for a moment and sip some water.

DQ is a little drastic for AIRGUNNING.

I heard Robert Ray IS going to be at this match, sooo..I'm sure he has seen the rules..right?

I have been wanting to make the switch to shooting USPSA, with these type of rules..I just may sooner than I thought.

Still like IDPA as a sport.

Nearly impossible to have a differrent round count for each stage especially with big matches that consist of 12 or more stages.

Well okay, but if you cant have a completely different round count at every stage, at least spread it out a little. Even when a match has 18-20 stages it's still possible to have 9 or 10 different round counts, so as to ease a little of the burden off the stats shack people (who I am generally one of) and put it a little more on the RO or SO to get the right round count on the right sheet, but also somewhat back on the shooter to check his scores before initialing it.