Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aluminum STI Grip

shooter995

Anyone use one of these?? If so how do you like it compared to the plastic grip?? Reason for my question is I tend to practice my reload a lot, & the plastic grip doesn't hold up that great! Thanks in advance

I recommend you search the Open Pistol forum. There are a several threads covering the aluminum grips.

In general, there are mix opinions on the grip, mainly due to cracking of early versions. I have 2 of them and

would never go back to plastic grips. I have had to replace them on one gun twice, but the latest version seems

to be holding up just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I did some research in the open thread, didn't get the answers I was looking for. I am using the stock polymer grip now with grip tape, but it's on it's last leg (I practice reloading a lot, sometimes doesn't go so well!) so I'm just about ready for a new grip. I know the aluminum grip will last longer, but I'm not sure about what size to get. Also I see some guys are breaking them???? What is that all about.....any & all help is appreciated!

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99995&hl=sti%20grips%20crack&st=0

Lots of info in this thread.

I have one mounted on an open gun. It adds a little weight to the pistol. The gun feels solid. The dot tracks a little flatter.

I do a ton of reloads the aluminum grip does dig up a little. I have had mags wedge in the grip if you try to stuff it in while it is rotated a little.

Mine will not work in my Double Alpha holster. The trigger guard appears to be a little bigger. I only have 5-600 rounds through the gun so I can not comment on the cracking issue.

STI may not continue to carry them.

IIRC they have stopped making the larger size and only manufacture the smaller. I have seen less and less of them offered for sale. Not that much talk about them recently although the friends I have that use them really do like them.

• 2 weeks later...

So did they change the design?

Matt they have not changed anything.

Given that the aluminum grip I just fitted looks (on the inside) nothing like the one pictured in Freedom Gunworks' fitting thread, I have to conclude that the design DID change. The only other explanation would be if the FGW thread pictures an S grip, while mine is a B, and for some reason the two sizes' internal machining was radically different.

So did they change the design?

Matt they have not changed anything.

Given that the aluminum grip I just fitted looks (on the inside) nothing like the one pictured in Freedom Gunworks' fitting thread, I have to conclude that the design DID change. The only other explanation would be if the FGW thread pictures an S grip, while mine is a B, and for some reason the two sizes' internal machining was radically different.

Well I was talking with Dave at STI and he told me they had not made any changes to the grips. He seamed to know what he was talking about.

• 4 months later...

I have a small one sitting at STI for several months now. I could not get it to work so I sent it back in with the pistol, was informed that it was "out of spec" and there were no replacements available. I was told that it would be NOV-DEC before a new design would be in production.

Mildot

• 2 weeks later...

I have a small one sitting at STI for several months now. I could not get it to work so I sent it back in with the pistol, was informed that it was "out of spec" and there were no replacements available. I was told that it would be NOV-DEC before a new design would be in production.

Mildot

Thats the time frame i was given as well from STI.

They also said that the cracking was because they changed the spec of the frame and the newer grips werent fitted causing the cracking so the new design is going to fix that problem, I also asked if they were going to make a slim version like they used to and was told they would not. one size only.