Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Corn Cob Ok Cleaner

Hi everyone just purchased a used Dillon XL 650 along with my nephew. I am wondering if corn cob works well enough for cleaning cases. I have read in a few places that many prefer Walnut or combination of the two. The issue we have is that my nephew has a serious alergic reaction to nuts i.e. carries an eppie pin. Any input or methods to make walnut the most effective.

Also with lowered funds any recommendations on a vibratory case cleaner. The Dillon is a bit over the budget. Was looking at the Lyman, Hornady, those are in the $50 - $70 range.

The best bang for the buck on a cleaner is the one Cabelas sells. If you are on a budget, you can skip the separator and just use a bucket and a plastic kitchen colander.

I like walnut to clean and corn cob to polish, but walnut does kick up dust so just stick with the corn cob. Check pet stores for big bags of it sold as pet bedding.

I've used corncob and only added the separate polish/finisher when I put in new corn cob. I shoot nickel brass and while it doesn't get them blindingly bright, it polishes them up enough to make them look nice and get all the crud off. I was using a Frankfort Arsenal "Quick-N-EZ", which can only do about 500-600 cases at a time, but running them about 30-40 minutes is plenty of time to get them looking good.

As far as dust/particulates, be aware that the brass have carbon and lead traces, and when you dump the tumbler into the separator, you can kick up some dust that has lead in it, so you want to make sure you're not breathing this directly in and you're ventilated, so the lead particles don't get inhaled.

Thanks for all the input. I decided to go with the Cabela's starter kit as it provides tumbler, corn cob media, polish and a simple colander style separator that shoudl get me started.

That is what I got it works great eventually I did get a media separator cause the media corn & walnut gets caught up in the primer flash hole sometimes and I use to have to tap it on the colander to get any media out my brass. As for walnut it does clean better then corncob but corn cob makes my brass shine almost like new juts will take longer if you don't use walnut. I wouldn't use walnut if your nephew will have complications with it, also +1 using fabric softener sheets breathing better yet being exposed to lead can and may cause health problems to you and your nephew and what ever you touch, on a lighter note I am out of brass polisher so I now use Nu Finish car polish good luck and be safe...

Pet stores carry a "finer" media that I would look for. Got a batch one time that was the exact size as the primer pocket and spent a whole night poping them out. Now I just tumble before I resize. I almost bought the cabellas one but figured that for twenty bones more I could get the hornady and did and love it.

There are alot of cheap, I mean innovative guys on the net who have made some very cheaply with an unbalanced out put shaft on an old vacuum motor and some springs and a bowl. ...

I have just used Lyman which is corn cob for some rifle rounds. I had sized/deprimed... then trimmed/chamfered/deburred... and then primed. Following this I tumbled to remove the case lube. I inspected each primer pocket and 3 out of 15 had media lodged down in the flash hole. Couldn't rattle it out either.

Any recommendations? Wait to tumble until after bullet seating is my current thought but I am up for advice!

I only use crushed walnut for the very small 32 H&R case. For 9mm through 45ACP I use ground corn cob from the pet supply store. Once in a while I will get a piece of corn cob stuck in a 9mm or 38 Special case but it is readilly removed before depriming.

Edited by TonyT