Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Trigger return spring. Need help.

enutees

As soon as I started dry firing my Shadow today my second "shot" the trigger stayed down. I took it apart and saw where the spring has broken. Of course I didn't have any spares on hand and I am shooting the Texas State Open this weekend and I'm taking the Phil Strader course. My back up gun is a 75BD but I'd rather use the Shadow if at all possible.

I just called CZ custom and they are shipping some next day to me but I don't know how to change it out.

Does anyone on here have a guide they can point me to on how to change this out? I'm not much of a gunsmith but I'd like to be up and running ASAP so I can get to dry firing and get ready for the match.

Thanks in advance and at least it didn't wait until during the match to do this.

Fast/lazy way...

Remove slide

Punch trigger pin out with pin punch

Leaving punch in to hold the trigger in place,

Back out enough to install spring with quality needlenose pliers

Drive new pin from opposite side

You'll have to plahy with it and watch it from the top, but that's the fast/lazy way lol.

Edited by burningsquirrels

Fast/lazy way...

Remove slide

Punch trigger pin out with pin punch

Leaving punch in to hold the trigger in place,

Back out enough to install spring with quality needlenose pliers

Drive new pin from opposite side

You'll have to plahy with it and watch it from the top, but that's the fast/lazy way lol.

key points. don't drive the trigger pin all the way out. just enough to release the broken spring. this will keep your trigger lined up with all the frame holes.

use small needle nose pliers..position the leg (s) of the spring in place ..one goes down the trigger the other in the slot in the frame. you will have to push the body of the spring into position and once in position, push the trigger pin back into place.

once back to place you will have to stake the trigger pin or it will walk on you.

I just did this myself on Saturday, for me it was preventive maintenance.

Either do what Squirrels said, he knows, he’s done it a few times, or if that doesn’t work, this is what I did.

Drive the trigger pin out with a punch. Carefully remove punch so nothing flies out. Remove old spring, it will just come out. When putting new spring in, long end goes in slot just forward of trigger, small end needs to go down in where the top of the trigger is. You’ll need to flex the spring to get the two ends to pull apart, it will be under tension. I used needle nosed pliers to set the spring in, then used a flat head screwdriver to gently push spring down to get it into place. Carefully hold the spring down with your left thumb while holding the frame with the rest of your hand. Look through the trigger pin hole and make sure everything is lined up, apply force with your thumb as necessary to line up the spring with the holes in the frame and the trigger. Now take trigger pin and push it in. It should go all the way in through the frame, through the trigger, through the spring, and stop just short of the slide on the other side. Grab you hammer and tap the pin to get it started in the other side of the frame. At that point, you should be able to let go of the pin, place the frame on something solid and tap the pin the rest of the way in.

Sounds more complicated than it is. I was able to do it in about 5 mins, and it was the first time I had ever tried.

Good luck.

Added Edit: After reading the other two, they both didn't push the pin all the way out, I did and it worked, so you may want to try their way first, but if you managed to get it all the way out, try my way.

Edited by CZinSC

If you do knock the pin all the way out then the best thing to do is use a slave pin when you put it back together. I use the hammer pin pin, it is the right diameter and the right length to hold the trigger spring in place while tapping the real pin into place.

I am working the match and will be out there some time Thursday and be shooting friday if you run into problems and need a hand. I will be shooting my 75b.

Thanks everyone for the help. I should have the springs on Wednesday so that gives me a day before I have to leave to figure it out. Strick, I'll take you up on your offer if I can't figure it out. I shot my 75bd tonight for the first time in six months after getting my Shadow and did about everything wrong with it.

Wear safety glasses when you're installing that spring!

If you're like me your needle nose pliers will slip at least once, and while my trigger spring didn't fly out, it probably could have. Always protect your eyes if anything might come flying out of a gun (that includes tiny springs...)

.... but I don't know how to change it out.

Does anyone on here have a guide they can point me to on how to change this out? I'm not much of a gunsmith but I'd like to be up and running ASAP so I can get to dry firing and get ready for the match.

Thanks in advance and at least it didn't wait until during the match to do this.

It will help you for sure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEpBAoxpRxI&feature=player_detailpage

It;s the same gun and you'll see the trigger spring assebly at about 5.04 min.

It's not difficult anyway.

Manolis

.... but I don't know how to change it out.

It will help you for sure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEpBAoxpRxI&feature=player_detailpage

It;s the same gun and you'll see the trigger spring assebly at about 5.04 min.

It's not difficult anyway.

Manolis

Awesome video. Thanks for sending that. I'm not sure why I didn't think to search youtube for a video. I should be able to follow that. Now the long wait for my part starts today.

Here's a page with video of Henning taking down a Witness and the putting it back together, the Tanfo's are just about the same thing as a Shadow, most importantly for your needs in the case of the trigger-spring: http://henningshootsguns.com/tech/tech.tanfoglio.frame.assembly.html

I use Henning's method of clipping a short length of brake cleaner or WD-40 tube to use as a slave pin, makes things much less of a PITA.

Good luck.

Here's a page with video of Henning taking down a Witness and the putting it back together, the Tanfo's are just about the same thing as a Shadow, most importantly for your needs in the case of the trigger-spring: http://henningshootsguns.com/tech/tech.tanfoglio.frame.assembly.html

I use Henning's method of clipping a short length of brake cleaner or WD-40 tube to use as a slave pin, makes things much less of a PITA.

Good luck.

Thanks for the link. That is awesome...makes it look so easy. Going to have to use that WD-40 slave pin idea for next time.

Will try that technique. I found the firing pin retaining peg will work, but it is a little on the short side.

Here's a page with video of Henning taking down a Witness and the putting it back together, the Tanfo's are just about the same thing as a Shadow, most importantly for your needs in the case of the trigger-spring: http://henningshoots...e.assembly.html

Good luck.

I can't say that was fun but I took it completely down and got it back together. It will be a lot easier next time but I think that trigger spring will still suck.

Thanks for help everyone.