Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MILLENIUM COMP

ffgats

HELLO,

jUST BUILT A NEW 9MM MAJOR GUN,WITH MILLENIUM TI COMP.(3TOP PORTS, NO SIDE).ITS SHOOTS NOT AS FLAT I WANTED, ADDED TO SIDE PORTS ON THE LAST BUFFLE AND MUZZLE IMPROVED A LITTLE BIT, NOW i AM THINKING OF ADDING 2 ADDITIONAL SIDE PORTS ON THE SECOND TOP PORTS. i AM JUST HAVING SOME RESERVATION ON THIS, MAYBE INSTEAD ON IMPROVING THE GUN, IT WILL JUST DIVERT THE GAS TO THE SIDE AND REDUCE THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE TOP PORTS.

mY LOAD RIGHT NOW IS 7.1 GR.AUTOCOMP AND 7.4 VVN350, BOTH LOADS MAKE MAJOR, AVE VEL 1400. RECOIL SPRING 8LBS

NOW YOUR OPINIONS AND FEEDBACK ON THIS , THANKS

The side ports usually help the dot track more consistently, up and down. Adding more will probably hurt affect the flatness.

I would suggest trying a slower powder that produces more gas such as 3n38, AA7, or SP2 (if you can get it) and see if that works before working on the comp.

Hello: Get some Hodgdon's HS-6 and try it. It gives lots of gas and is soft on the hand. I also use 115 grain Montana Gold JHP's. You may also try a higher or lower power factor to see what that does. Powders and charges can do alot without doing anything else :cheers: Thanks, Eric

In my experience, Autocomp is pretty close to AA7 in softness, but a lot cleaner. I am using 7.1-7.2 gr as well with a Gan's #12 comp (3 up, 2 side). AA7 and HS6 are dirtier than Autocomp, but you should try them to see if YOU feel any difference with your setup. I have been looking at lighter bullets (121 or 115 vs current 124),as others have suggested, to generate more gas with the higher velocity loads. No results yet..........

In my experience, Autocomp is pretty close to AA7 in softness, but a lot cleaner. I am using 7.1-7.2 gr as well with a Gan's #12 comp (3 up, 2 side). AA7 and HS6 are dirtier than Autocomp, but you should try them to see if YOU feel any difference with your setup. I have been looking at lighter bullets (121 or 115 vs current 124),as others have suggested, to generate more gas with the higher velocity loads. No results yet..........

2race - I have to agree with your assesment, there isn't a lot of difference in the feel of AA#7, HS6, or AutoComp. You can clean up the dirty part by using SPM (magnum primers). Now that said my full size DP-2 comped guns shoot any of those flat enough the dot stays in the A-Zone, however my powder of choice is another cheap dirty powder Silhouette. The difference is the dot tracks better. I figured this out on my ill mannered shorty gun that flips more than the full size guns. It has a Brazos TC II, which is like the Millineum but with a bunch of side ports that do seem to keep the lateral movement down. On the shorty I tried a lot of powders and also tried different bullet weights, the 115's were flatter due to the gas volume but a bit more violent.

I don't like drilling holes in a gun but if it isn't flat enough and you are not up for a comp change then it is time to put a hole or two in it. Start small test the effect adjust as needed. On one of my 38SC guns with a Bedel TI I put 1 #3 hole and pushed the load up to 175pf and it flattened out and got soft.

You might just need to put a little weight up front to help you keep her down, try a tungsten guide rod. And some times a recoil spring adjustment can make a huge difference. My little shorty is a total wild tasmanian with a 9# can't track the dot at all throw an 11# in it and it is a sweet shooting gun, and when some one shoot it they will say minor, no that is 172pf you just shot.

Edited by CocoBolo

You did not specify what weight bullet you were using or if you were shooting IPSC or USPSA. 124/125 gr is about 173 PF.

I would try different loads and powders as each comp is different. As far as more side vector holes---they are not going to make the gun shoot flatter.

I use Silhouette 7.8gr, 124gr MG JHP, OAL 1.168, WSRP, Dragoncat. Side by side comparison to 7.3gr Autocomp, Silhouette is softer.

Im trying N350 now, 7.2gr, Lots of gas, but dot tracking is better in Silhouette. its very clean though and not temp sensitive.

but then again, try different powders before changing your comp.