Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Time To Modify

I bought a Taurus PT1911 a week ago, and I finally got to shoot it yesterday. It has a very decent trigger. Other than that, let the mods begin! The factory drift-adjustable sights will be the first to go. They are set to about 5" low at 15 yards, and not elevation adjustable. I've got my eye on a Kensight Adjustable Rear for the Novak cut, and a HIVIZ FO front. Any suggestions? Other mods (in no particular order) are: Extended Checkered slide stop, magwell/mainspring housing, and grips. If you have any opinions or suggestions, feel free to fire away. I am a rookie to this and would appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks,

MM81

Mitch

So why recommend a gimmick and not just advise a guy or gal on straight stuff here?

When you look at your front sight and look at the guns used in L10 some are black sights, some are FO.

It may or may not be a gimmick, my advise is if you want one look at a Dawson instead of HiViz.

Here's the DP replacement rear sight for the Taurus.

018-031.jpg

Here's DP's picture of a Novak rear.

024-028.jpg

Here's a Heinie.

513-009.jpg

The only rear sight I could find when I had mine was the DP fixed rear. Unless there's a Novak dovetail rear sight that's different than what I'm used to.

Turns out that Novak makes rear sights for the Taurus, but it's definitely not a Novak dovetail.

Novak's site.

Heinie also makes sights for the Taurus.

Heinie's site.

The Taurus does not have a "Novak" rear sight dovetail, its a strange mongrel dovetail that Heinie and Novak happen to make sights for.

Edited by technetium-99m

Look at a Dawson FO Front

I thought you master shooters said Fiber optic was a "gimmick"???? :surprise:

No gimmick!

So why recommend a gimmick and not just advise a guy or gal on straight stuff here?

Im pretty sure that is what he is getting.

I've got my eye on a Kensight Adjustable Rear for the Novak cut, and a HIVIZ FO front. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

MM81

Mitch

Mitch, You might want to look at the STI T.A.S. Ive not used one but it looks like it might fit your need. I had looked at hiviz a long time ago and they looked way to wide for my taste. I would go with Dawson if you rather have something a little more narrow.

Good luck and let us know how they turn out.

i have a pt1911 that i shot in single stack for a while. i bought it new and here are the changes i made. novak fo front sight. s&a mainspring housing/magwell lots of polishing in the gun. changed grips extended mag release with button 14lb recoil spring 18lb main spring debured the trigger and trigger group. im shooting 200gr lswc 4,3gr clays cci lp primers i think its 1.125 oal ( would have to double check ) the gun shoots great and very soft with theese loads. very reliable. if you are shooting low with the factory sights then you need to learn how to use them. i did the same thing untill i researched the sights and learned to use them. it has the heinie straight 8's right. you line up the dots on top of each other and the impact point of the bullet will be hidden by the sights (not on top).as far as the trigger they do feel ok new but they are still 5lb's pluss in pull weight.

Edited by snake32

Here's the DP replacement rear sight for the Taurus.

018-031.jpg

Here's DP's picture of a Novak rear.

024-028.jpg

Here's a Heinie.

513-009.jpg

The only rear sight I could find when I had mine was the DP fixed rear. Unless there's a Novak dovetail rear sight that's different than what I'm used to.

I changed the sights on my PT1911 and it shoots great now,....Dawson precision has sights for the PT1911. Their plain black fixed rear will fit with just a very small amount of work. The sight comes a little over size, only a thousanth or two, but it works. they say that you need a .180" tall front sight, but I put on a smaller Dawson front sight so it would raise the bullet impact and it shoots point of aim now.

Overall, with a very minimal amount of soft filing, Dawson PT1911 sights work great.

Tried the Hi Viz front and rear FO sights on my PT1911. Original Heinie sights were right on but the Hi Viz shot about 4" low. Put DP FO's on it and right back on the money. Think the front is .180 height and Daniel told me to shoot it from a rest and if it wasn't on target-let them know and the right sight would be sent to me. If you are going with fiber optics I would definitely recommend Dawson Precision.