Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do I only get +1 with the Taylor Freelance basepads?

waktasz

SpeedshooterSpecialties site says

Taylor Freelance Extended Base Pad, S&W M&P 9/40/357, 140mm Aluminum

Replaces the factory plastic base pad and increases the capacity by at least 5 rounds in 9mm and at least 4 rounds in 40 but the ones we tested gave an increase of 6 rounds in 9mm and 5 rounds in 40. Meets the 140mm length requirement for USPSA Limited and Limited 10. Will work with the stock spring. Black anodized aluminum.

Either way, how would a longer/strong spring fix such a problem? Seems sort of backwards

My guess is a narrower spring that doesn't get hung up on the inside edges. Or perhaps a spiralling design for the coils?

I hope you can make it work, or somebody with more experience with these basepads and/or springs can jump in.

I don't know why the web sites don't explain this better but you have to take some of the legs of the followers for them to hold more. I took a file to mine until I got the full amount to work. The guy I purchased mine from told me about this before I got them or else I would have been the guy asking the question.

Take the taller legs on the follower and file them close to the same size as the other side. Remember you can always take more but you cannot put material back on so take some then check then take more if needed. Also when you feel strong tention while loading smack the bottom of the magazine then load the rest. Good luck.

Any chance anyone could post a picture of how exactly they modified the follower or basepad?

You are over thinking it. Just file the legs in on an angle. It only takes a couple trial and error passes to get them to work. You have to do this with both the 140s and 170s. The stock follower gets stuck on both unfortunately. I can take a picture for you if you really want but you could probably file the follower faster than I could upload the pic to show you. :)

Right again. Didn't take off quite enough the first try but now I get 23 in both my big mags.

thanks!

Yeah I shoot .40 with the basepads and had to take off more than I thought you would to get mine to load right everytime. Nice part is once it is done you don't have to mess with them again.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't have to file off the legs of the follower, but the flat metal piece for the locking mechanism of the factory basepads must go, then they work great.

Even with the metal removed (Which should always be done anyways) about 98% of the time you need to tune the magazine to work. Each magazine needs its own amount taken off to work. I have set these up for lots of the guys at the range and each time some take less and some take more. I have only seen one time where the magazine took the full amount without any mods.