Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reccomends for my STI Spartan

shooter.860

looking for advice

holster that does not mess up the finish, i like my guns to stay pretty :D

which magwell

what mags

spring weight - my minor load is a 124g Precision Delta round nose FMJ powered by titegroup at max length that fits my glock mags. I got it written down but not here right now :blush:

thank you

Any holster will mess up the finish with enough practice, just depends on how much you plan on drawing it. I like the Dawson magwell setup, but the Techwell has a good following and I've heard nothing but good things there too. I dont shoot a 9mm, so I cant help with loads.

Most of your questions have been answered before, try searching around the 1911 area and the 9mm reloading area and you might find some good stuff :cheers:

My setup for a Spartan 9mm is Tripp mags, Fusion magwell, DOH holster, 9lb spring with minor loads. I doubt you'll find a holster that won't mess up the factory finish as I don't think it's too awful durable. As for your 124 load, it'll likely work just fine being it's a fmj.

If you're going to shoot single stack.. pass on the BladeTech DOH, or make sure you get some adapters to replace the drop-offset part - so it can be made SS Division legal.

The DOH holster can be taken apart and the drop piece removed. Makes it into a Stingray holster. Then its legal for SS and you can always put the drop portion back on for L-10 or something down the road.

Like was said, if you plan on using it the finish is going to show it with whatever holster you choose, I'd go with a Blade-Tech or a Comp-Tac.

Mags for a 9mm 1911 are critical, most guys have success with the 10red Wilson ETMs (I use these) or the 10rd Tripp cobra mags, but since the Spartan doesn't have a ramped barrel; I'd consider going with the 9rd "Springfield/Leathem" Metalform mags (widely considered to be the most reliable 9mm 1911 mags available), the one's I'm speaking of have a indented crease running down the front of them, no spacer in the rear of the mag tube, and a little built-in ramp integrated into the followers and are usually kind of spendy ($40+)... try not to confuse them for the other lesser 10rd Metalform mags out there (which are also sometimes marketed as having "built-in ramps" too, but really aren't the same thing at all and don't run nearly as reliably).

A 9mm 1911 is heavier than one in .45, so what magwell you go with is important if you want to make weight. There are a couple guys on here that have claimed they're below 43ozs even when using an S&A MS/Magwell and G10 grips, but my Trojan 9 with a Slimline S&A and slim Alumagrips covered in skate-tape (a lot lighter than even "lightened" standard-width G10 grips) was 42.9ozs or over depending if it was clean or dirty so I'm not convinced that can be so. I'm switching back to standard-width grips and am waiting for a Techwell set-up to show up which will allow me to use a polymer MSH to save a bit and with grips+magwell weighs in about the same or less than just an S&A by itself. The Dawson Ice is also popular and is light enough to make it from what I've been told.

Seems a 9 or 10lb recoil spring is the consensus for 125-135pf loads around here, I've been using a 9lb ISMI with a 17lb ISMI mainspring shooting cheap factory stuff for over 1000rds and it's been solid reliability-wise while still shooting super-flat (might go to a 10 though for a little extra muscle chambering fresh rounds when the gun starts to get dirty). YMMV here, everybody's different.

Good luck, hope this helps, a 9mm 1911 is super enjoyable to run, but you've gotta stay on top of what your mags and springs are doing even more so than with the .45's.

For my 9mm Spartan I have a Blade-Tech SRB holster, Dawson Ice no-gap magwell, 10 rd Tripp Cobra mags with Dawson basepads, Dawson .100 FO front sight (works great with the stock adjustable rear), ISMI 10# recoil spring and a 17# mainspring. I didn't like the Parked finish, so I had my slide Cobalt plated by Plate Tacular, and the frame refinished in Atranite by Freedom Gunworks (actually waiting on the frame to come back). I just shoot local club matches, so no one ever weighs my guns, but I admit this setup would probably not make weight.

My setup for SS; A Blackhawk CQC holster(without the serpa lock) it draws very smooth, adjustable retention, and secures the gun very well. I liked it better than the bladetech for its rigidity on the draw. I use a Wilson stainless magwell (clip over style, clips to the two bottom grip screw inserts.) It is very secure and works great without the cost of the magwell/mainspring housing combo type. I use Metal Form Elite mags, the most dependable and tough mags I found. They use a "steel" rounded follower, Cobra removable base and Wolff springs. I use Hogue finger groove grips, they just feel right for me. As far as recoil spring for a 9mm I cant say, I shoot major with .45 with an 18lb wolff spring.

Edited by BallisticianX

Be careful with a magwell. I see Larry made weight with the Smith & Alexander magwell. I couldn't. I was over with an empty mag. I can't tell it Larry's Trojan is a 45. The 45 make weight more easily because of less material in the barrel.