Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your Own Build vs Factory vs Custom Gun

I'm running a used DIY Open gun so I marked "build your own" though I did not build it myself.

I have had to make a few repairs and I'm getting ready to change out the C-More mount to a Cheely and I'm thinking next winter I may send the slide off for a racker and maybe some weight reduction cuts, possibly replace or stipple the grip - then it would be more of a DIY gun.

That sounds like a very interesting AR.

I'm running a used DIY Open gun so I marked "build your own" though I did not build it myself.

I have had to make a few repairs and I'm getting ready to change out the C-More mount to a Cheely and I'm thinking next winter I may send the slide off for a racker and maybe some weight reduction cuts, possibly replace or stipple the grip - then it would be more of a DIY gun.

That sounds like a very interesting AR.

Opps! Wrong gun on the brain! :wacko::o

For AR's I have a mix of factory std (Rock River NM, S&W OR), and guns with DIY lowers and semi-custom uppers) :cheers:

How many motors have you built? About 30 or so.

Have you over hauled Scuba regulators? Do Oxygen and flammable gas regulators count? If so, yes.

or at least a several dozen Calibrator over hauls? ;) Carburetors? Yes

You shoot Way Too good to wast your practice time...There is some amount of confidence that building it myself instills. Might be as good as practice...Dunno.

This post was not targeted at you, Mr Marky. Carburetors were out dated when Mr Gorilla Tac was born.

It was offered as guidance to a young shooter , that most of the guys building their own stuff have try-ed and failed at many projects before building rifle uppers

Spell check did not help me on the calibrator did it

I remember reworking a Holly carb in 1973 that I just could not get to work on both pumps :unsure:

Edited by AlamoShooter

This post was not targeted at you, Mr Marky.

All good. Holleys were easier than the Rochesters. Thanks to you, I am going to have nightmares about trying to balance my six pack.

All good. Holley's were easier than the Rochesters. Thanks to you, I am going to have nightmares about trying to balance my six pack.

Yep-R it was 1973 and I had learned on several cars and break overhauls to keep driving. in including a light over-haul on a 3 speed transmission and motor to my Dad's AMC Hornet

I purchased a 1968 Corvette and borrowed $800 from the bank to go with the cash I had saved. Burned into the third play of belting on the tires in the first two weeks.

And for some reason my Dad would not help me figure out my failings with the Holly duel pump.

The car would throttle back at 80 mph. I think that was the first time he lied to me in my 17 year life. My Dad said he did not know how to help with the Carb.

I could adjust the points Dwell by ear

All that and I just did my first AR 15 barrel Assembly this past week

Thread Hi-Jack over

All good. Holley's were easier than the Rochesters. Thanks to you, I am going to have nightmares about trying to balance my six pack.

Yep-R it was 1973 and I had learned on several cars and break overhauls to keep driving. in including a light over-haul on a 3 speed transmission and motor to my Dad's AMC Hornet

I purchased a 1968 Corvette and borrowed $800 from the bank to go with the cash I had saved. Burned into the third play of belting on the tires in the first two weeks.

And for some reason my Dad would not help me figure out my failings with the Holly duel pump.

The car would throttle back at 80 mph. I think that was the first time he lied to me in my 17 year life. My Dad said he did not know how to help with the Carb.

I could adjust the points Dwell by ear

All that and I just did my first AR 15 barrel Assembly this past week

Thread Hi-Jack over

Egads man, what took you so long... :P

And on the 68 vette, well, unless you had a really radical small block, or a big block (427 or bigger) in it, a double pumper was probably too much carb for it anyway. Its amazing how often too big a carb is bolted on with great expectations. :cheers:

I have priced out building my own and its not a big savings when I pick the same parts pretty much that I bought in a send in your lower from JP. I HAVE done saigas but we are talking apples and oranges on that one. I have taken enough ARs apart to do freefloats gas blocks etc to know its not hard but for this rifle I felt better letting them do it.

I build my own. It is better than any factory gun and some customs. The CMP guys at the club couldn't believe .375@ 100yd off bench with bipod. I polish to a mirror every place metal comes into contact (hammer, bolt carrier, v notches in the sear and hammer, pins where hammer and trigger run through not where they meet the reciever. I take less than .0005 off the carrier and hammer to protect heat treat. I polish the chamber (less than .0002 removed) I also work the lugs. I have been doing this for years. Take a well shot AR and look where the wear marks are this is your starting points. Look at a LMT bolt it was my model. You can work the bolt face like you would in a bolt gun. The flatter the better. Pollish the firing pin channel for faster lock time. Anytime you remove metal from a bolt you must check headspace. Remove burrs from extractor claw. A good barrel is allready on most ARs they just need lapped. (I do not use chrome lined). That is all the internal work I do to every AR I own. The other normal mods (free float, grip, stock) are up to you.

I voted "custom", but there are some warnings.

First AR ever? Buy factory or a complete custom rifle (i.e., with warranty so if something goes wrong there is one place to call). Learn the idiosyncrasies of the system without worrying "do I have the right buffer". I have a stripped lower from a prize table, so next one will probably be a DIY.

The OP has done this enough he could build one and not get in much trouble. ;)

Yes, I rebuilt a carburetor once. LONG time ago. No scuba regulators, though. :cheers:

Lee

I build my own . AR's are not rocket science and there is plenty of information on the internet on how to build and troubleshoot them .

Here is my latest build .

3-Gun_AR.JPG

Edited by paraman1

• 1 month later...

Built my stripped lower completely and bought a BCM SS410 16" mid length upper ( I added a Troy TRX Battlerail,JTR BCG, BCM Gunfighter latch and Ranier XTC comp.). So what does that fall under...?

Though i'm going to swap out the Troy TRX Battlerailrail for Troy TRX Extreme to shave some front end weight.

Built my stripped lower completely and bought a BCM SS410 16" mid length upper ( I added a Troy TRX Battlerail,JTR BCG, BCM Gunfighter latch and Ranier XTC comp.). So what does that fall under...?

Though i'm going to swap out the Troy TRX Battlerailrail for Troy TRX Extreme to shave some front end weight.

You're own build