Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

m&p pro 5" vs g34

sdm74

I shoot an M&P Pro 9mm in IDPA and have shot a Glock 35 then a Glock 24 in USPSA Limited for over a year. Asking which is better is like asking which flavor of ice cream you like. It depends.

I like the grip, balance, and style of the M&P better but the Glock also works well. Both are reliable and accurate. The triggers feel a little different with the M&P a bit more comfortable.

I bought the G35 to shoot both USPSA Lim and IDPA SSP and did that for few months. Then I decided I wanted a dedicated USPSA gun so I didn't have to take the mag well off / on to switch and started looking for a G34 for IDPA. But a buddy had just bought an M&P Pro and the grip and balance was so nice I got the M&P instead.

Between the two, I'd give the nod to the M&P. It just feels a bit better in my hand but you need to try them both and decide. :cheers:

I've shot both in competition. Both have relatively light slides, both have aftermarket parts available. Both have spare parts available from manufacturer that are CHEAP! One is made in the USA, by a US company. The other is just assembled in the US. Both companies support shooting sports. Both guns are available in black, with durable finishes.

Other than that, here's why I prefer the M&P: The Glock trigger will never be as good as an M&P, unless you spend the BIG bucks for a non-production legal trigger. For a hundred dollars in parts and an hour of time I can tune the M&P to be as good as the best 1911's out there. The backstrap. I use a large, but slimmed down the sides and ground the spine flat. It points like my single stack. It's still not as comfy as my 1911 to shoot, but it's as good as any plastic gun will get.

It's just more comfortable to shoot. I think the M&P also looks better than the Glock, but that is just my opinion, as is the entire post I guess.

Here's why I don't like Glocks: Since I can't grind on the frame and still be in compliance with the rules, it is terribly uncomfortable to shoot. It's called Glock Knuckle. The undercut at the back of the trigger guard is half the size it should be. It needs to extend forward further. The grip angle, although if you only shoot Glocks it's a moot point. I flip back forth from 2011, 1911 and production guns so the grip angle affects me some on index targets.

I've owned Glocks off and on since 1990. As far as I'm concerned, the M&P is everything the Glock isn't.

I have had to recut the stock extractor to fix the failure to extract issue I had 2 months ago. Smith now sells the guns with the upgraded extractor. Glock has been through at least 4 different version of extractors too. Accuracy on early guns was suspect, but the Pro that I'm shooting now groups extremely well and as good as any Glock I've ever shot.

I have had to recut the stock extractor to fix the failure to extract issue I had 2 months ago. Smith now sells the guns with the upgraded extractor. Glock has been through at least 4 different version of extractors too. Accuracy on early guns was suspect, but the Pro that I'm shooting now groups extremely well and as good as any Glock I've ever shot.

Thats the biggest issue with the M&P. Some people get them to work some don't. A Glock just works. I prefer a lot of things about the M&P. But I prefer the reset of the Glock. I don't know if you can fix that on the M&P. Besides that and the extraction issue I prefer everything about the M&P.

The reset can be fixed on the M&P. Either by the trigger bar, or the Apex RAM.

Apex, SSS and now S&W all have replacement extractors that are to fix the extraction issues. I just gave the stock one a tune up. It's similar to a 1911 with extraction issues. Just needs a little love.

I have had to recut the stock extractor to fix the failure to extract issue I had 2 months ago. Smith now sells the guns with the upgraded extractor.

I just went and ordered one at Buds. Anyone know if they have quick turnaround on there stock? When was extractor upgraded by s&w?

I just went and ordered one at Buds. Anyone know if they have quick turnaround on there stock? When was extractor upgraded by s&w?

Bud's is really good about prompt shipping. I've done business with them a couple of times in the past and they have always delivered in a timely manner.

Edited by Cy Soto

Has pepsi finally arrived? What's your take if you've shot both?

I've shot them both and decided to stick with Glock. On a separate note; you could probably compare the M&P with Dr. Pepper but it's still a long way from reaching "Pepsi" status.

hi all,

Just hopping over from the thread about Glock 34 gen4... ;)

I've been looking to getting a Glock 34 gen4, but at the gun store the smith adviced me against it. Instaed i should go for the gen 3 proven-and-loved-by-many model or the M&P Pro. I licked the trigger for the M&P better than the Glock. The fact that it is legal in IPSC production devision (the G34 is not) and it has better out-of-the-box sights (fiber optic and novak rear).

I've read a lot of good things on various sites and forums about the M&P so am considereing going for that and not a G34. Like Want2race said tons of accessories, parts and kits are available. Perhaps not as much as Glock but then again the Glock has been around 20+ years.

Regards,

Igor B)

• 1 month later...

I don't know about making the M&P trigger as good as any 1911. You can make the trigger very nice, but you can't remove the pre-travel and maintain the internal safeties. A good 1911 has almost no pre-travel. I have an M&P pro with the full Apex kit and RAM. It's very nice trigger.

• 1 year later...

Has pepsi finally arrived? What's your take if you've shot both?

On a separate note; you could probably compare the M&P with Dr. Pepper but it's still a long way from reaching "Pepsi" status.

The usage stats from this year's IDPA Nats are out - Glocks were only about 1.5% above S&W. Both just below a third of the field.

I'd say the Pepsi is here.

(Now, I'm looking hard at RC - the CZ SP-01 Shadow. :devil: )

I tried and tried to make the Glock work but I just have too many years on the 1911 grip angle. The M&P is to me everything I wanted the Glock to be and with a Burwell trigger, it's hard to believe it's a Tupperware gun. Now, if only the accessories market would expand to the size of Glock's ...

My two cents, YMMV

Mark

• 1 year later...

Has anyone had any accuracy problems out of their M&P's? I know the shooter has something to do with it, but as a fairly decent shooter I find I am way more accurate with my glock than my M&P pro. I know grip angle etc etc., but I shoot 1911's more accurately than either. So it's not grip angle. Both have after market triggers (3.5 lb connector in glock, 3 lb apex trigger kit with Reset assist device). I was curious from you M&P shooters that got rid of your Glocks if you ever noticed a difference on accuracy? The gun, even off a homemade rest, never seems to group as well as my 34. Maybe it's just me....

The M&P definitely handles recoil better than the glock, and I like being able to load from a locked slide just by slamming in a loaded magazine, but the 34 has always shot way more accurately for me.