Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun slide weight

blaster113

Hate to be the oddball.. Any open glock guys out there weighed there slides? I weighed mine in 13.3 oz from my glock 22.. Anyone think I should reduce the weight anymore?

I’ve weighed my G17 slide, it’s about 11.5oz. Can’t remember the exact amount, but mid 11’s it was. That is completely bare, no sights, no striker assy, no extractor assy, nothing but steel. I can’t say if your slide is too heavy, as long as it works it should be fine. Lightening the slide would be more of a feel thing then.

Hate to be the oddball.. Any open glock guys out there weighed there slides? I weighed mine in 13.3 oz from my glock 22.. Anyone think I should reduce the weight anymore?

I’ve weighed my G17 slide, it’s about 11.5oz. Can’t

remember the exact amount, but mid 11’s it was. That is completely bare, no sights, no striker assy, no extractor assy, nothing but steel. I can’t say if your slide is too heavy, as long as it works it should be fine. Lightening the

slide would be more of a feel thing then.

I can tell you that have opened up the port on 22c to make it more of a 35 type slide.. And the feel has increased.. A lot of the guys here talk about lightening the slide to 10.5 oz on their 2011 guns to reduce flip and recoil.. So that's where I get the idea from to reduce the weight.. But I understand that glocks are a little different.. The question is how much is too much.. So I am thinking on getting it down to 11.5 oz or so and keep it there.

Blue, have you lightened your 17 slide?

No, haven’t lightened it. You might not want to go too low. John Nagel from SJC has said that the G17 slide might be too light, that the G22 slide might be a better weight. Most of those folks running 10-11oz 1911 slides are using steel comps or bull barrels which absorb some of the recoil. The thing about the glock is the barrel is light and the comps are a very light aluminum. I might lighten the slide, but probably only if I switch to a hybrid barrel and I need to cut a slot for the rib.

No, haven’t lightened it. You might not want to go too low. John Nagel from SJC has said that the G17 slide might be too light, that the G22 slide might be a better weight. Most of those folks running 10-11oz 1911 slides are using steel comps or bull barrels which absorb some of the recoil. The thing about the glock is the barrel is light and the comps are a very light aluminum. I might lighten the slide, but

probably only if I switch to a hybrid barrel and I need to cut a slot for the rib.

Ok that is some great info! Thanks.. John is definitely the

man when it comes to open glocks.. Like I was saying

definitely felt a difference after I opened up the top of my

22c slide.. I was considering doing 45 cuts on the top

edges and front cocking serrations.. But may just consider

doing the front cocking serrations.. I tell ya.. It's always a tinkering game.. Lol

When we talk about BARE slide, nothing over 10oz for me, please. If you ask me, all weight you take off makes the gun easier to shoot.

Naturally, you must have some kind of dot tracking ability - for open novices it might be easier to shoot full mass slide (I think STI Trubor 5" is around 11.7 oz) at first and lighten the slide when the shooter has gained some experience.

About Chirs´s video... To me it seems that the gun is recoiling pretty heavily back and forth, but of course it is hard to say from a vid. Can be because of 3N37 too.

• 4 months later...

I finally got around to weighing my slide and it's 8.7oz :D

ETA- And my gun has no holes/deep cuts in it. The top is flat and it was given a shallow french border cut

Edited by TRUbor9

• 1 year later...