Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Source for 9mm fmj bullets 158 grains or heavier.

caspian guy

Like the title says I am looking for a source for 158 gr or heavier jacketed 9mm bullets.

I shot some of the Fiocchi 9mm 158gr Sub-Sonic FMJ ammo and was wondering if anyone knew of a source for the bullet used in this load or something similar.

Found some cast 160g bullets here: http://www.thebulletworks.net/category-s/20.htm. Could try calling Fiocchi and find out who makes their 158g jacketed bullets.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I can't use cast bullets in this application.

I could probably get away with plated (or maybe even polymer) is someone knows of a source for those in this weight range.

You could probably get away with a .357 jacketed bullet. Lots of those around in 158gr and up.

Just be careful of .357 jacketed bullets when loading for 9mm. Bore diameter is .002" greater for .357, and that can raise pressure dramatically. I have a nicely bulged case from a 9mm loaded with a .357 bullet.

I won't be trying THAT again! :surprise:

If it matters the load will be subsonic (probably somewhere in the 950 to1000 fps range) and shot out of a 1911/2011 style pistol with a chamber cut/throated to allow loads out to around 1.20"... and a barrel with a twist rate suitable to stabilize a bullet of that weight.

• 2 weeks later...

The load may be subsonic, but that doesn't always mean that pressure will be at manageable levels unless you specifically use a slow burning propellant.. though I figure you likely know what you are doing..

You could probably get away with a .357 jacketed bullet. Lots of those around in 158gr and up.

Just be careful of .357 jacketed bullets when loading for 9mm. Bore diameter is .002" greater for .357, and that can raise pressure dramatically. I have a nicely bulged case from a 9mm loaded with a .357 bullet.

I won't be trying THAT again! :surprise:

It depends on the barrel. Beretta, Sig, Walther all have .357-.358" bores. S&W, Ruger, Colt have .355" bores.

• 7 months later...

Like the title says I am looking for a source for 158 gr or heavier jacketed 9mm bullets.

I shot some of the Fiocchi 9mm 158gr Sub-Sonic FMJ ammo and was wondering if anyone knew of a source for the bullet used in this load or something similar.

Wideners just put them up for sale: http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=6788

I ordered a 1000 to try them out :rolleyes:

James

Bullets are reasonably plastic at 9mm pressures and I'm not so sure that if the loaded round will chamber freely that 0.002" really make much difference. For lead bullets I'm sure it doesn't since revolver shooters will commonly size bullets to the throats even if they are much more than 0.002" oversize compared to the bore diameter. Even for jacketed bullets I'm not convinced it matters. I have a 9mm with a 0.355" bore that I have shot about 2000 0.357" bullets through. I am loading a powder charge and OAL commonly quoted for this weight in a 0.355 bullet and when I chronograph the loads the velocity is right where I would expect it to be.

Most 9mm barrels are ment to shoot 124/125gr bullets, they are still good with 147gr bullets. I personally don't really see why someone would wanna shoot anything heavier than that with a 9mm gun.

There are 135gr bullets I always wanted to try but had no local (and reasonably priced) source to try them out.

"Softer" bullets can be effectively "resized" during seating/crimping process depending on the die/s used; to match them closely to barrel's dimensions too.

It's also a good idea to bring your calipers with you (and scale) to measure bullets before you buy them. My personal advise will be not to buy more than 1000 bullets if they are new to you and all you wanna do is just to try them at the time; unless you can buy 500pcs or so. 500pcs should be good enough to try multiple loads with various powders you have on hand and/or prefer.

The main reasoin to use big bullets is that if you are limited by velocity the only way to increase energy of the laod is to use the largest possible projectile.

Which is why I like 50cal rifles with suppressors.

But for 9mm, I have used 357 projectiles in CZ and 1911 handguns and also in Marlin, Ruger and AR15 Carbins. They all worked fine with appropriate loadings.

For ease of availability and best results all round, you can't beat the 147gr JHP. Plenty of suppliers and plenty of safe loads.

Edited by gm iprod

Speer makes a 180 gr .357 FMJ #4229-TMJ

Speer made a 200 gr TMJ, but I don't see it currently listed

Hornady makes the XTP in 180, SKU 35771

Heavy bullet sub-sonic loads in a 9x19 size case are

really nothing new---the old 38/200 British service

revolver load on the 38 S&W case has been around for

a long time. Curious---why jacketed/plated? Less

gunk in the suppressor?

I only use JHP in my Subsonic 9mm ammo if it is going through a suppressor. Open base projectiles leave lead, some plated projectiles are so thin in the plating that the rifling of some firearms will cut through the plating and expose lead and this will wash / flash off the bullet into the suppressor. Although this is a small amount of lead I just don’t want the hassle. Plus JHP shoot better in my case.

What I did not point out in my original post is that most of my loadings with heavier than normal 9mm, using .357” projectiles was conducted with cast lead for handguns without suppressors. For the 158gr we used a bullet designed to take a gas check. This gave a small rebate on the base of the projectile to allow deeper seating in the short 9mm case. Cured an accuracy issue with a Glock 17L a friend was having.

The 38S&W (200gr Lead for the British) had a case designed for a long flat base 200gr projectile, like old 45-70 cases being balloon head, this case had a very straight internal sidewall to allow the long projectile into the case enough to fit into the short chambered revolvers. It was loaded so anaemically that it was rumoured that if a German Squaddie had his greatcoat on and it was raining he was perfectly safe from the British Officers, unless one of them managed to hit him between the eyes with the butt of the revolver.

Modern 38S&W cases do not work too well with the 190gr projectiles now available, you have to load them a little longer than is desired. 158gr RN Lead (Winchester Factory Loads are 145gr) are available and easier to work with.

Back to the real subject.

Care with your OAL will be required to prevent bulging when using any long and or heavy bullet with a flat base, 9mm or .357”, just more so with the .357” as the case will be spread about .002” bigger at the front in any case. A Flat nose bullet will help keep the weight forward, but then you run the risk of engaging rifling and or the leade of the chamber.

Anything above the 160gr will not be of great benefit in a handgun in any event as the case capacity is compromised by the extra bullet being seated deeper and the loader having to be aware of significant increases in chamber pressure with such a small cavity for powder. You can mitigate this pressure by using a slower powder, but that will be less effective at generating velocity in a handgun. Will work better in a carbine, especially with a 10” or more barrel.

If you are building something that will be primarily for use with heavier projectiles, use a 1911 based firearm, lengthen the leade and use 38Super magazines. Load out past 1.167 (MAX OAL according to many). My Ruger Carbine will allow OAL of about 1.18 with a 158gr JHP and still chamber, the magazine can allow up to 1.210”. But the rounds will not chamber at that length. My AR Carbine using UZI mags is still under investigation. The barrel is quick enough to shoot accurately (in theory) with 180gr. But I know they won’t fit in the case.

You could have the heavy .357” bullets swaged down to .355” and that will cure a small part of the bulging of the case. We tried it for a while, use a Lee .355” Lube Size die, use lots of lube not lead bullet lube either, something thin and designed for pressure, and a really big press.

It worked sort of, but the time and hassle in the end was not worth it. 147gr Zero’s became more available at a reasonable price down here and we just went with them.