Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you had to choose between...

J-Rob

Ill throw another one in the mix. Nightforce uni-mount at 1.125 high. Its as solid as any other mount, and puts my scope closer to the gun for a better cheek weld.

Its a matter of preference but I like the scope to be at the same height the irons would normally be at. If its too low I feel like I am having to mash face into the stock. I have that issue on an Armalite mount I bought. Its not as high as my Larue mounts and I don't like it.

Throwing a wrench here--- JP. Cheaper, rock solid.

Another wrench... all I use are DLOC mounts, which definitely return to zero with my Aimpoint CompM2, Trijicon ACOG, EoTech 552, Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x24mm, and PVS-14. I also use a DLOC mount with my Harris bipod.

I wouldn't waste my money on a larue. After many tests between ADM, BOBRO and LaRue the only two that return to zero after several times of mounting is the BOBRO and ADM. The LArue will dig into the metal of your rail causing it to lose zero after so many times in my tests this was right around 10-15 times. The change was not horrid but there was a change. I know that LaRue has a cult like following so I will take some heat for telling the truth but there it is. Mark tries to say it is a grease on the rail that needs to be wiped clean with some mineral spirits but that is simply not true. I am not the only person with this issue. If you plan on leaving the scope on the rifle which in most cases is the case. Then buy any of the three for they all are made well. If you plan on having the QD for in the event you need to ditch the scope then buy any of the three. If you are going to be taking the scope on and off everytime it goes in your bag buy anything other than LaRue.

JMHO

I swapped all my rifles over to Warne mounts. I'm kicking back and forth between Open and Tactical and I like the ability to add and remove the mini red dots. Warne's also working on something for the Iron shooters as well. I have a Larue sitting in the garage, that will probably go on the classified ads today. I also have a handful of other quick release scopes. I just don't really see a need for a quick release on a competition rifle. I'd rather have a mount I can just torque to 65 in-lbs and not worry about it.

A little update. I got an ADM mount for a Burris Tac 30. The rings were fine but much like the ADM Aimpoint mount I have, the 1/8th turn tension adjustment of the levers falls at just barely snug and very very tight. SoI had to go with way tight

Ill throw another one in the mix. Nightforce uni-mount at 1.125 high. Its as solid as any other mount, and puts my scope closer to the gun for a better cheek weld.

1.125 is too low for me on an AR. I can go as low as 1.3 but below that I must have way too much pretty face :roflol:

I wouldn't waste my money on a larue. After many tests between ADM, BOBRO and LaRue the only two that return to zero after several times of mounting is the BOBRO and ADM. The LArue will dig into the metal of your rail causing it to lose zero after so many times in my tests this was right around 10-15 times. The change was not horrid but there was a change. I know that LaRue has a cult like following so I will take some heat for telling the truth but there it is. Mark tries to say it is a grease on the rail that needs to be wiped clean with some mineral spirits but that is simply not true. I am not the only person with this issue. If you plan on leaving the scope on the rifle which in most cases is the case. Then buy any of the three for they all are made well. If you plan on having the QD for in the event you need to ditch the scope then buy any of the three. If you are going to be taking the scope on and off everytime it goes in your bag buy anything other than LaRue.JMHO

At the risk of being labeled a cult member, the gouging to the rails has not been my experience at all. To be fair, if you account for a "cult like following" then it is only fair to admit there also exists an equal number of individuals who allow there personal issues to color their opinions as well.

I have two XTR's (a 1.5-6 and a 1-4), an EoTech in a LaRue mount, and until recently a 3-10 Leupold that all get switched between guns very frequently. I don't have a solid count but I know that it has been well over the mentioned 10-15 times. These include two Firebird uppers,a TacSol 22upper, a JP CTRO2 upper, and a DPMS .308 upper. I have never found any damage to any of the rails. I believe this is largely due to properly adjusting the LaRue levers in accordance with the simple instructions printed in the packaging.

IMO an even stronger example is the LaRue bipod mount that I use when competing in Open. It gets mounted and unmounted (most often violently at speed during a stage) several times per match. I just checked the accessory rails on my guns and no damage to the rails whatsoever.

With respect to RTZ, when mounting and remounting on the same gun I have not noticed a change in zero. If there is one, then it fair to say it's small enough that my skill level may overshadow it.