Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Price of bullets going up?

twister

I remimber Zero 180 JHP,$49 per K. They have not gotten any cheaper

I can remember when .45 230 FMJ shipped to my door (including shipping) was $41.00 per K. Back before the 10mm Auto and 40 S&W were even in existence.

WoW you must be old!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

:lol: Well,considering since I've been handloading since 1967,I believe you are correct! :surprise:

However,we're all blessed in our gun club here,as there is a member who casts bullets full time for the popular handgun calibers,9mm 148 grain $35 per K,40 cal 180 grain $40 per K and 45 230 grain $45 per 1k. These are very nice bullets,very accurate and very little leading,so bless him!

Take care and good shooting!

Jeff

I remimber Zero 180 JHP,$49 per K. They have not gotten any cheaper

I can remember when .45 230 FMJ shipped to my door (including shipping) was $41.00 per K. Back before the 10mm Auto and 40 S&W were even in existence.

WoW you must be old!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

:lol: Well,considering since I've been handloading since 1967,I believe you are correct! :surprise:

However,we're all blessed in our gun club here,as there is a member who casts bullets full time for the popular handgun calibers,9mm 148 grain $35 per K,40 cal 180 grain $40 per K and 45 230 grain $45 per 1k. These are very nice bullets,very accurate and very little leading,so bless him!

Take care and good shooting!

Jeff

wait till he see's what he could have been charging all these years!! :surprise:

PRIMERS NOW BULLETS !!

For the last 2 years we have been scammed, and robbed for primers. Fake shortages or real who knows Shooting suppliers and Mfgrs may be taking lessons from OPEC, seen any with a rag around their pointy head lately??

Brace yourself Bullets And Gasoline may be the extorsion/scam items for shooters this year.

JMOpinions,

Perry

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a scam.

Copper and lead went up along with demand last time. So prices shot up. They did not come down.

Lead isn't on new highs, but it isn't cheap. Copper is hitting new highs. The only difference this time is there isn't nearly the run on components as there had been, and unlike the last run up, global inventories of copper are pretty well stocked. There's also a pretty solid floor of about $3 a pound as at that price, the Chinese copper buying robot seems to kick in (as they try to monetize copper to insulate their economy from first world inflation).

My guess is that the ammo makers are getting screwed on the price of copper as undoubtedly new stocks are having the higs priced in. Despite the highs recently tapering off a LITTLE, I suspect distributors are factoring what they see as future demand due to rebuilding in Japan as well as the likelihood of QE 3 or some other form of dollar devaluing government program.

I expected closer to 18% at the retail counter, if it is just 12, I'm surprised.

• 4 weeks later...

I heard on the radio yesterday that a mining concern is re-opening a copper mine in my state.

That's a significant indicator. It is NOT cheap to mine anything in the US, so someone must be pretty sure that the price of copper will stay high for a while.

There are plenty of mines in the Southwest that have not been worked in some time because the price of metals was not high enough to turn a profit. I expect we'll see more of them being reactivated in the next few years.

In the meantime, I guess I'll be shooting more and more cast lead. I get .40 and .45 caliber cast lead bullets from a local guy, who makes them as a side job/hobby. Even so, he has to charge substantially more than the 4.5¢/bullet I was paying for moly-coated, cast lead, .452 230 gr. bullets in 2004.

Also glad I bought thousands upon thousands of Hornady 55 gr. FMJ's a few years ago, for general .223 plinking. At times, I've worried that I was an idiot for tying up several hundred bucks in 10000+ bullets I won't use for years. Now I wish I had stocked up deep on FMJ .308 and .310 projectiles as well.

Edited by Warhammer4k